Front vs. rear track width

-

Gryzynx

Senior Moment
Reaction score
Just loaded up my parts car on a narrow trailer, (74 Dart, 4 dr, 318/904/LBP disc/7 1/4). Noticed the front track is about 2" wider than the rear track. Never noticed this before. I'd have to expect all late model A bodies are the same. BTW, yes, all the rims are the same offset.

Obviously not a problem, but thought it was interesting.

This is an easy one.....
In 1967, they widened the engine bay to make it easier to put V8s in them.
Of course to save money, they did not widen the rear axle and all the other stuff that would have to be changed.

i believe most cars are a little wider up front. i know for a fact that my lil red express was. when i sold it the guy that bought it tried to pull it on a trailer and it wouldn't fit. had to back it on and it barley fit between the wheel wells of the trailer.

Yellow Dart Dave is correct, however ABodyJoes is also correct, most cars today have a slightly wider front track as it actually improves handling.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Even some 4x4's have different tracks. this is a PITA in deep snow

Yup, mine was wider on Dart Sport until I put a B body rear in it. The stance is better and it handles much better as well.

so i'm just curious....... when you say your front is 2" wider do you mean per side or overall? i just measured mine (approx) and my rear end is about 4" narrower overall than my front end, 2" per side. i have an 8 1/4 rear end on a 70 dart that is more or less a peiced together frankenstein car. just wondering if my measurements are inline with what you guys are discussing.

Sounds about right, I put a B body rear in my car that was just shy of 4 inches wider than the 7 1/4 and my rear tires now are inline with the front.

Thanks!!!! it's not really a big deal, but every once in awhile when parked at a weird angle i'll notice it and it always catches me off guard and looks slightly odd. lol just wanted to be sure, as like i said, my dart is slightly a frakenstein beast and i'm clueless as to what the 8 1/4 came off of, other than i doubt it's original to my car.

Just loaded up my parts car on a narrow trailer, (74 Dart, 4 dr, 318/904/LBP disc/7 1/4). Noticed the front track is about 2" wider than the rear track. Never noticed this before. I'd have to expect all late model A bodies are the same. BTW, yes, all the rims are the same offset.

Obviously not a problem, but thought it was interesting.
normal w/7 1/4 diff.

-
Back