Front wheel drive

-

cjh

Reaction score
I have never liked front wheel drives. This pic sums it up nicely.

sig2ii7[1].jpg

I have heard several people say the same thing many times. Its those people that don't know how to drive a fwd to its potential. Its takes a lot of practice to figure it out. I built a 500 horse srt4 for a customer about a year ago and holy **** was that thing fun to drive! Just need to be sure you have both hands on the wheel when its pinned to the floor, very exciting to say the least!

FWD is wrong wheel drive, it is against the laws of nature.
We need look no further than the natural world to see that there are no animals that are propelled primarily by their front legs; therefore FWD is repugnant in the eyes of God!

We need look no further than the natural world to see that there are no animals that are propelled primarily by their front legs; therefore FWD is repugnant in the eyes of God!

you can't beat a FWd cars technology that allows you to get 40-50 mpg, great for a commuter car , Rwd cars are better as toys that way they will be around longer to enjoy

Sea Turtles... who wants to drive a sea turtle?

I love RWD,but suck so bad in the snow.My first car was a RWD and winters in that thing were not very fun.I had to put a few sandbags in back for some traction.

Ever notice that FWD don't turn as sharp as RWD.....need a wider turn to get into car parks....its raining hard and you can't seem to get off the line at the lights, not mention torque-steer.
It is BMW's phylosophy that " the wheels that drive the car shouldn't steer the car".
You can blame the Frogs for the FWD invention......LOL.

Hyenas, watch the end 2 min.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM8ArZ3o8qE"]YouTube- MX5 vs Greyhound challenge - Top Gear - BBC[/ame]

JMO, but i've always looked at the typical FWD cars as good budget track cars and when you crash them, you're not destroying anything special.(unless its a type-r integra)

Obviously you've never seen the relentless K-car
[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQJiYx7qP1Y"]YouTube- 10 Second K-Car[/ame]

JMO, but i've always looked at the typical FWD cars as good budget track cars and when you crash them, you're not destroying anything special.(unless its a type-r integra)

What's so special about a type-r integra? I can think of many fwd cars way more rare that a freakin Honda lol. The comments in this thread crack me up! I would venture to guess that a few of these fwd haters have been beat by a fwd in the past, either on the street or track.

My take on FWD verses RWD.

I have driven plenty of both. I prefer RWD but they both have there merits.

Pro's
FWD - very good for fuel economy and weight reduction. allows more room in the passenger compartment. Good in the snow at slow speeds, (but so was a VW beetle).

RWD - most of us older guy's are used to it, engine compartment is not as cluttered, forward acceleration is much easier, no torque steer

Con's
FWD - torque steer, hydroplanes much easier, higher speeds on snow covered roads can mean a swapping of ends very quickly, engine compartment looks like you need to be a snake to work on anything, NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO PULL A WHEELIE

RWD - heavier cars, less room inside car, middle passenger in back seat gets a sore ***, lower gas mileage

Jack

I think is not so much FWD vs RWD, but the cars chosen to champion each technology. Remember the mid-'70s El Dorados? God help you if anything went wrong with it, especially the trans, but that was a cool car. Most of the FWD cars are econo-boxes, or hi-po versions of econo-boxes. You can make anything fast, but ugly is ugly.

Personally I like torque-steer, but can't complain about swingin my butt out in a powerslide either.

Grant

hate to stir up an old thread but i guess i have to teach you old guys and honda-haters something. first of all i drive a 2001 honda prelude type-sh, so i can prove a few of these statements wrong and right. my car has a sytem called ATTS, stands for active torque transfer system. basically depending on how much throttle and how hard im cutting a turn it transfers the engine power to the outside drive wheel, reducing plowing or other FWD cornering issues. car and driver named it the best handling car for under 30k when it came out in 1997, so it handles. its powered by an H22a4 2.2liter engine DOHC 16 valve all aluminum engine. it puts out 220 hp, thats 100hp per liter.. how much does your car put out per liter? i also get 35mpg on the highway and run 14.9 at the racetrack, all i have is a stage one racing clutch, aluminum flywheel and a k&n filter. hope you learned something

hate to stir up an old thread but i guess i have to teach you old guys and honda-haters something. first of all i drive a 2001 honda prelude type-sh, so i can prove a few of these statements wrong and right. my car has a sytem called ATTS, stands for active torque transfer system. basically depending on how much throttle and how hard im cutting a turn it transfers the engine power to the outside drive wheel, reducing plowing or other FWD cornering issues. car and driver named it the best handling car for under 30k when it came out in 1997, so it handles. its powered by an H22a4 2.2liter engine DOHC 16 valve all aluminum engine. it puts out 220 hp, thats 100hp per liter.. how much does your car put out per liter? i also get 35mpg on the highway and run 14.9 at the racetrack, all i have is a stage one racing clutch, aluminum flywheel and a k&n filter. hope you learned something

And how much will it cost when something goes wrong.....a sensor out of range or something like that?????????.....$$$$$$$$$$$

You guys are missing the point. All Wheel Drive is superior. I had an AWD minivan and it was fantastic! Rear wheel drive is cool with a lot of power and it's dry out. Front wheel drive is col if it snows. But AWD is hard to beat.

-
Back