Frustrated with inability to do body work!

-
Really, I'm hoping to put it together to do body work and then paint. All inner parts have been painted so I shouldn't have to take back apart. If it need shims are the shims usually put between the flanges where the bolts go thru. Should all bolts have shims. It only had 2 per side but I can't remember where they were.
Thanks rod

Last edited:
Really, I'm hoping to put it together to Co boxy work and then paint. All inner parts have been painted so I shouldn't have to take back apart. If it need shims are the shims usually put between the flanges where the bolts go thru. Should all bolts have shims. It only had 2 per side but I can't remember where they were.
Thanks rod

Most of the time shims are only used on the back bolts at the cowl and sometimes at the bottom of the fender at the rocker. I’ve seen them in the front at the Rad support but if they’re there at the Rad support then something is out of line especially on a unibody car like ours. Meaning the car could have been hit and not pulled correctly.

Keep up the great work!

I went out to hang the drivers fender tonight and heres what I have. Now its not close and I am going to need some suggestions on this. The fender is as far front as it will go. The bolts are at front of the holes and hitting, the fender at the top at door over laps the door by at least 1/8". SO what do I do from here? Grind the top of the fender back? make more room for bolts to adjust forward? Split grinding between door and fender?
Heres pics
DSCN0340.JPG
DSCN0344.JPG
DSCN0341.JPG
DSCN0342.JPG

Maybe its something im missing but i need to at least get it in front of fender so I can see where everything else is.
Looking for some help!
Thanks Rod

I went out to hang the drivers fender tonight and heres what I have. Now its not close and I am going to need some suggestions on this. The fender is as far front as it will go. The bolts are at front of the holes and hitting, the fender at the top at door over laps the door by at least 1/8". SO what do I do from here? Grind the top of the fender back? make more room for bolts to adjust forward? Split grinding between door and fender?
Heres pics
View attachment 1715130874 View attachment 1715130875 View attachment 1715130876 View attachment 1715130877
Maybe its something im missing but i need to at least get it in front of fender so I can see where everything else is.
Looking for some help!
Thanks Rod
How is the gap where the door meets the quarter ? Always start with the door & quarter gap & work your way forward.

Here is the gap behind the door. Its a very small gap. These are the same body parts that came off the car. Just over 1/8". Im puzzled.
Rod
DSCN0326.JPG
DSCN0327.JPG

Here is the gap behind the door. Its a very small gap. These are the same body parts that came off the car. Just over 1/8". Im puzzled.
Rod
View attachment 1715130998 View attachment 1715130999

Take all the bolts out of the fender and leave one that will give the ability to move the fender forward and workable.

Did the fender bolts feel like they were in a bind or an angle when you removed them?

I do not remember them being in a bind and I dont remember any super tight gaps. I wenr back and looked at original pics and body lines dont look tight. I have a guy coming to take a quick look tonight around 5. Hopefully he will see something Im missing
Thanks Rod

Raise the fender up so the lines on the side meet. That should open it up at the top of the door where the fender lays back towards the window post. I wouldn't grind the edges of the panels you'll end up going through. Not much meat there before you split the skin from the door or grind a hole in the fender. Hard to tell what you have going on there without standing right there.

Last edited:
Here is what ive encountered in the past. When I took fenders off of cars & laid them on the floor & they laid there for some time I had fitment issues. That's why I always hang my fenders. Just a thought. Are they the original quarters ? Ive always used a wooden paint stick for a gap gauge. About 3/16

Here's what I found out, the top of that fender had about 1/8" or more of idler extended over the back that I hadn't sanded off when I did my work on the fender while it was off the car. Kinda embarrassing to say! Now it still needed to go forward a little and I did end up opening the holes up some on the fender. I'm hoping this weekend to get the other fender hung along with the hood so I can align everything together and lock the fenders into place where they need to go. Again thanks for all the help here. I can't tell you how embarrassed I was when the old-timer came over the other night and he had me grind a little from that fender and I found the filler! Oh well, it's not going to be the last stupid thing I'm going to do.
Thanks Rod

Here's what I found out, the top of that fender had about 1/8" or more of idler extended over the back that I hadn't sanded off when I did my work on the fender while it was off the car. Kinda embarrassing to say! Now it still needed to go forward a little and I did end up opening the holes up some on the fender. I'm hoping this weekend to get the other fender hung along with the hood so I can align everything together and lock the fenders into place where they need to go. Again thanks for all the help here. I can't tell you how embarrassed I was when the old-timer came over the other night and he had me grind a little from that fender and I found the filler! Oh well, it's not going to be the last stupid thing I'm going to do.
Thanks Rod
That's how you learn

-
Back