Frustrated!

-

sean

Reaction score
I don't like to rant or ***** about my car but I need to talk to some people who understand what we go thru building these damn things. I took my '67 to the professional upholstery shop for headliner and front and rear windshields install. The guy is a one man shop and he's a friend of mine but I was not pleased with his work. I botched the first headliner so I figured go with a pro. and glass well... So, I go get the car when he says he's "done". He used aluminum rivets for the windshield moulding clips (I guess he didn't like the screws I provided) I end up breaking two of the rivets rendering the clips pointless, trying to put the stainless trim on 'cuz they're so effin' tight and chipped and scratched my new paint. I'll take some blame on that! I got a HUGE gap at the top of the rear window where the headliner meets the the gasket (you can see the tines!) WTF! I want to go and say "what's up with the workmanship" but his Mom just died! I know people say "it's only money" But I'm sick of buying hard to find parts two sometimes three times! I think people who say that have a LOT of that green paper tool. How do some of you deal with the disappointments on your projects?

I have never had to go threw this before sean, but I think if I was in your shoes I would send him a condolence card and (being that he is a friend) and a short letter in it saying you will be back to see him when he takes the time he needs for his grieving his loss of his mother and thank him for being a friend and wish him well.
Drive your car over and see what can be worked out and see why things turned out the way they did and can he explain this to you.
So sorry to hear after all the green you have put into this and it's still not right.....
I would wait for a sun shinning morning and bring breakfast
I hope there is something that can be worked out to ease your mind..

I agree with memike 100%.
A little diplomacy will go a long way here.....

I agree with memike 100%.
A little diplomacy will go a long way here.....

So that is what diplomacy is :glasses7: I learned something today :cheers:
Thank you Dartnut :coffee2:

Business is business and personal is personal. If he did a messed up job and he is a stand up guy, he will acknowledge it.

X2, what memike said...He may have just not been paying attention at the time. When a parent passes away, your mind wanders all over the place. Ask me how I know. LOL

Bill S.

Business is business and personal is personal. If he did a messed up job and he is a stand up guy, he will acknowledge it.
X2 . If he needed the time to get his head straight so be it but friends and family are no reason to hack up a car. I know what Sean is going through. You pay good money to people that say they can and they don't. I've been screwed so many times , I'm starting to feel like a $2.00 hooker. Its not that i make bad choices ,its the caliber of work done in our
area. Your not alone Sean.

Show some understanding due to his Mom's death, but then I would discuss it with him. Just a heads up, if you are using the aftermarket clips expect them not to hold the trim real well. The trim on my car was very loose when the aftermarket clips were used. My body guy spoke with his source for them and he admitted that they are far from what the oe clips were. Luckily for me the fellow that painted my car had bags of the oe clips...

Thanks for talking me down Guys, I just need to vent a bit. Im going to his Mom's services this week. I'll wait a while and talk to him in a few weeks about the car. Again, good advise. Thanks

Thanks for talking me down Guys, I just need to vent a bit. Im going to his Mom's services this week. I'll wait a while and talk to him in a few weeks about the car. Again, good advise. Thanks

Sounds like you are a pretty good friend, and a very level headed person. I think this can be worked out between you two and it will get done to the satisfaction of you both!!

Have you ever thought about maybe asking him to allow you to help him install your items. Since he is a one man show and it's your car, you can assist, learn and also monitor the quality as it's being done!!

You can mend this fence quickly with your demeanor, I'm sure of it!! Geof

-
Back