Fuel cell foam or no

-

scampy

Reaction score
Looking to maybe replace my 8 gal cell in the scamp for drag race only,i see they sell it with and with out foam,what are your thoughts and experience,concerned about the foam flaking and clogging stuff,don't want to be replacing foam or filters all the time

FWIW, Holley has a fuel mat that you should look into. Now the fuel slosh issue is different all together. With the Holley mat, slosh isn’t an issue with uncovering the pick up.

we use foam, always have,,if you do, just be sure to remove it if its already installed in a new cell, and vacuum out any little particles from mfg,,once its clean, good foam doesnt degrade.

we use foam, always have,,if you do, just be sure to remove it if its already installed in a new cell, and vacuum out any little particles from mfg,,once its clean, good foam doesnt degrade.
The “Factory foam” sucks?
What and where did you get a better replacement foam?

Two cars with foam ...one car no foam it started blocking the fuel out let and car was dying going down track...

The purpose of foam is to protect against explosion. Never run without it.
That's a myth that's very frequently told. Foam has absolutely nothing to do with safety. It's to help control fuel slosh. Trust me that a ruptured cell will empty in a big hurry regardless of whether it has foam or not. The Holley fuel mat above is quickly replacing foam.

That's a myth that's very frequently told. Foam has absolutely nothing to do with safety. It's to help control fuel slosh. Trust me that a ruptured cell will empty in a big hurry regardless of whether it has foam or not. The Holley fuel mat above is quickly replacing foam.

Foam has nothing to do with the strength of the tank. Foam is there to displace air and keep the cell to rich to explode. It all about safety.

The Holley mat is a fuel pick up. It has nothing to do with safety.

Foam has nothing to do with the strength of the tank. Foam is there to displace air and keep the cell to rich to explode. It all about safety.

The Holley mat is a fuel pick up. It has nothing to do with safety.
Never heard that before, but it does make sense (displacing airspace).

If it's a safety concern, why isn't it mandatory? There's so many rules in the book maybe I missed it?

If it makes things safer, the NHRA would require it at some point?

Two cars with foam ...one car no foam it started blocking the fuel out let and car was dying going down track...
Do you know the apprx age of the different cells,esp the one you had to remove the foam,my current cell has foam,seems to be fine,nothing showing in filter but it was in the car when we got it and have no idea how old it is

Wrong , fuel slosh only , unless its a nascar fuel cell , they are quite different, and do run bladders in case of being ripped open in a wreck..
I have had the alum fuel cell foam disintegrate , more than once. I always take it out in a street/ drag car now.

Last edited:
If you take the foam out of a fuel cell you have a gas tank.

Seems pretty easy to google fuel cell foam and read up on it.

I have seen this HydroMat, and it look good! But understand to well about HYPE( AKA salesmanship) been waiting to see some real world aka real people to us then and report. Mostly because i'm not planning on installing a fuel sell or HydroMat any time soon.

It really looks promising, just hard to believe..............

I've never run the hydro mat but my cell will and has run dry more than once. It will suck it self bone dry. Even with just enough fuel to fill the little sump area my fuel pressure is stable. I have zero fluctuations in pressure until I can hear the pump run dry. At that point I just pucker my buttocks super tight and pray there's a gas station near by.
I can see no advantage to the mat?

I've never run the hydro mat but my cell will and has run dry more than once. It will suck it self bone dry. Even with just enough fuel to fill the little sump area my fuel pressure is stable. I have zero fluctuations in pressure until I can hear the pump run dry. At that point I just pucker my buttocks super tight and pray there's a gas station near by.
I can see no advantage to the mat?

A super expensive Pre filter ????
how much are these things

never mind just when and looked too rich for my budget.
Holley 16-106 11" x 11" HydraMat®, Square

Yup i have, look at many video on it now.

Impressed.....yes........ just not full believe, it is what it cracked up to be............. and at that price.
Not going to buy one to prove it right or wrong
I have no issue with my fuel system so wouldn't know if it worked any ways.

Don't get me wrong, i find it vary interesting.
carburation, not so much.
fuel injection were any air is a bad thing......maybe..........

Ahh man I thought you had a personal video!
LMAO!!!!!

Thank you!!!!

Do you know the apprx age of the different cells,esp the one you had to remove the foam,my current cell has foam,seems to be fine,nothing showing in filter but it was in the car when we got it and have no idea how old it is

The fuel cell is only about 3 yrs old....that car had a 5 gallon one for many years and changed out to 8 gallons ,,,,some reason the foam blocked the fuel port and got sucked in....so we removed it over a year ago..

-
Back