Fuel Cell Size?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
For those with aftermarket fuel cells in your street/strip cars, what size are you running? Any photos would be great as well.

I've got a 5 gallon in race car. I check and top off during the day. When I get home I drain the tank and put the fuel in a sealed container. If you can add a drain line to your tank to help empty it. My tank had 2 big fittings on the bottom. If anything I'd prefer a larger capacity cell. Hope this helps.

I put a 12 gallon cell in my avatar car (72 Demon). This is a street and strip car. No longer have that Magnafuel fuel pump!

20201126_094015.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm trying to decide between a 15 and 20 gallon cell. 20 seems a little big, but the car will see the street.

You may want to go big and small, small for racing and the big for the street.

Thanks guys. I'm trying to decide between a 15 and 20 gallon cell. 20 seems a little big, but the car will see the street.
I have a 15 on the street/strip E85 car. Constantly refilling .

I wouldn’t go less than 20.
Don’t have a picture of it finished but this was as I was figuring stuff out.

4E2680C3-9DEA-4336-B4FD-F4018BB9E5A4.jpeg

289FDBA2-66F0-4AA8-A174-CDF39B7B4610.jpeg

I have a 15 on the street/strip E85 car. Constantly refilling .
How much do you drive it on the street? Do you wish you had a 20 gal cell?

I wouldn’t go less than 20.
Don’t have a picture of it finished but this was as I was figuring stuff out.

View attachment 1715995821

View attachment 1715995822

That's a clean install. I wish I would've recessed my floor pan like that. Makes it really clean.

Is that a 20 gal cell?

That's a clean install. I wish I would've recessed my floor pan like that. Makes it really clean.

Is that a 20 gal cell?
i drive it around town. no long distances. If i drove it much more i'd want a 20 gallon for sure. But i'm also E85...which burns a ton more than pump gas.

Got an 8gal on a strip/street car, shoulda/coulda gone bigger.
5 gal cell in the tubbed car, biggest that would fit between the tubs. 99% strip car.
My opinion? Buy the 20.

Good stuff man. Do you run foam with the E85, or does the ethanol eat it up?
I took the foam out. for as nasty as E85 is on components, I figured it would turn that to sludge lol

I've been having pretty good luck with the Lucas E85 additive as far as carbs gumming up and such, but i make it a point to start it twice a month minimum, and get it to 200 degrees. Which is actually a challenge.

Actually a challenge? Got that right!
I drove a friend's bracket GTX for him, that was using E85, in the summer, in california. Everybody else is trying to cool their car between rounds, I'm idling in the lanes with the fan off, trying to build heat.

Actually a challenge? Got that right!
I drove a friend's bracket GTX for him, that was using E85, in the summer, in california. Everybody else is trying to cool their car between rounds, I'm idling in the lanes with the fan off, trying to build heat.
never thought i would see the day when i didn't have to use a fan! i think i turned it on twice all summer.

Is that a 20 gal cell?
Yes. 20 gallon. Thank you. I’d go 30 next time. Then maybe I can make it a 100 miles.

That looks great! Did you make the straps? How thick are they?

Is there anything between the strapping and cell like rubber or felt? I'm trying to figure out what to use on mine.
Straps are from RCI same as the tank. Did not put anything between the straps and the tank its bolted pretty solid and doesn't move. I took out the foam in mine as well to get a little more fuel plus don't have to worry about it falling apart and clogging my fuel filters.

One more question - do you run foam in yours? I'm wondering if they make an ethanol-compatible foam.
No foam. I will not use foam, I’ve read it kinda deteriorates and I’m just not willing to put up with something like that, if it happens.
I use pump gas 91, highest available in the state of CA, and I just don’t feel like it’s the same fuel from even just a few years ago. It really has an odd smell as it burns, and not as easy to tune, but I am an idiot when it comes to carburetor adjustments. I kinda cheat, and have my brother do all the tuning.

Thanks guys. I decided to just go with the 20 gal cell. Now I just have to make up some straps and finish roughing in the trunk components so I can squirt some paint in there and start getting the interior put back together.

1666126650529.png

-
Back