Fuel Economy in History

-

mpgmike

Reaction score
A few years ago I was commissioned to do a documentary on fuel economy. We finished Part 1 of what was supposed to be over an hour of information. It was stopped short due to budget cuts. However, this 11 minute piece talks about Pogue, Ogle, and other inventors, as well as gadgets, and even 100+ MPG cars that once sold new. Have a look.

I'm just gonna mark that and watch it later................

The Predator carb "gulping huge quantities of gas in the process" you got that right! I was getting under 5mpg on a 351c in a light 57 Ford. Carbs can't reat get better. The feedback carbs late in the game would monitor o2 sensors and adjust A/F accordingly. Prett much burning every molecule of fuel in the chamber OR exhaust....but all that does is create heat.Something like 90% of the fuels power is not motion but heat. Turbos reuse a portion of this heat to covert to mechanical energy but the "killer app" would be a thermocouple exhaust of some sort that would take that wasted heat and turn it into electrical energy for a hybrid generator assist but they even produce heat. I think a fuel cell is probably the best MPG in a technical sense.

Very interesting video.
It's too bad that you weren't allowed to go further...
In truth, the video was an intro for a project. The project got canned, thus the end of the video. However, if you're wanting more useful fuel economy information, check out:

www.MPGenie.com

-
Back