Fuel Filler Grommet

-

Rustyfish

Reaction score
So after pulling out my old rusty crusty gas tank and getting all the correct lock rings gaskets and grommets etc I'm ready to throw it all back together. Knowing I'll need some kind of lubricant to put on the fuel filler tube and rubber grommet/gasket, what should I use that won't react with the grommet or the gas should some get into it after install?

Thanks

Vaseline is oil soluble, it will dissolve in any petroleum product such as gasoline. In school we were taught about using it in automatic transmission class. I use it for lots of things in the shop.
I know ,, wait for it !!!!.

Vaseline is oil soluble, it will dissolve in any petroleum product such as gasoline. In school we were taught about using it in automatic transmission class. I use it for lots of things in the shop.
I know ,, wait for it !!!!.

Perfect.

Anytime you're concerned with a lube reacting with rubber, plastic, or other material type, play it safe and use silicone based lubricant. I like the Sil-glyde silicone lube that comes in a tube, it's labeled as brake parts grease and dielectric grease.

BTW some people here have reported that some aftermarket grommets are hard plastic like. This is the one I bought and it works great:

1967 - 1976 A Body MOPAR FUEL Grommet Gas Tank Seal CORRECT FIT New | eBay

You just need something to make it slippery for one insertion. (did I say that right) A little oil or grease would do.

The one I got is definitely not "hard" and was pliable enough to squeeze into the tank filler opening with a little work mostly by hand.
Thanks for the responses as usual.

Hopefully Mike, it will only take one insertion

I just replaced my grommet not too long ago and I used dielectric grease. It was so smooth and fast I didn't even realize the insertion was complete, but it was.

I just replaced my grommet not too long ago and I used dielectric grease. It was so smooth and fast I didn't even realize the insertion was complete, but it was.

After all this talk of insertion I'm surprised nobody has recommended KY jelly yet.

Lol, here ya' go........

upload_2017-11-4_9-41-32.png

additive

upload_2017-11-4_9-36-24.png

-
Back