fuel gage, calibration?

-

Dr. Dave

Reaction score
I replaced the fuel sending unit on my 72 Dart because the gage didn t move. After replacing the unit, the gage seemed to be fine. However, it reads empty when in reality, I ve only used 4 or 5 gallons of gas. I bought the unit from an online vendor. It is the identical brand sold at local parts stores. What do you think? Is there a problem with gage? Fuel sending unit? Can the gage be calibrated? One thing I noticed is that the sending unit float rod was a little shorter. Maybe that s the problem? Thanks for any help. . .

I'd be interested in this as well, as mine does the same thing. Bought a new fuel sending unit online and installed it but the guage reads empty when it's over half full.

Fill the tank with 4 gallons, if it's 16 gallons total, and bend the float hanger until it reads 1/4 of total resistance when installed with a multimeter. Double check the gauge when you do it. They don't seem to be 100% accurate, at least with this you will know when your getting down there.

Enjoy!

That gauge never was gallon to gallon accurate. It should show full when the tank is filled and show empty before you run out of gas. The earlier gauges were more sensative to small signal changes when new. Those generated a lot more heat internally so those didn't maintain their accuracy or live as long.
Chryslers engineers sacrificed some of the accuracy to lower the heat and extend the life of the gauge. They realized it is just a range indicator. The change helped lower the number of Chrysler products sitting on the sides of roads out of gas.
A little technical info, Earlier gauges contain 13.3 inches of ni-chrome winding with resistance value of 1.5 ohms per inch at 70 degrees. 20 ohms total resistance
Later gauges ( yours) contains 12.5 inches of winding with a resistance value of 1 ohm per inch at 70 degrees.
The only change in the sender was in its shape. Its float nolonger bouces on the bottom of the tank.

-
Back