Fuel pouring out Bowl Vent Valve

-

sas73

Reaction score
This weekend I went to take the kids out in the Barracuda and I fired it up without a problem. After it was idling for about 2 minutes it sputtered and shut off, and gas just poured out of the bowl vent valve around the accelerator pump rod. Enough to pool on top of the intake manifold about a 1/2 inch deep. Now, if I let is sit for a while, it will start up and do the same thing after 5 or 10 seconds. There is then a "gurgling" sound coming from the carburetor. It is a 2 barrel carter carb on a 318. Any thoughts? I know very little apart from the basics of carburation. Thanks.

float stuck...or you have crap stuck in the needle and seat...

trying tapping the fuel bowl with a small wrench to unstuck float or dislodge crap in needle and seat...

or ...remove hose at inlet...spray carb cleaner into inlet trying clean trash out.....or remove carb and clean it and replace needle and seat....

Exactly as stated above...you have debris in the needle and seat, which is letting fuel past the float. It's then filling the bowl to the point it pumps out the vent tube. If you feel confident enough to reset your float level, then pull out the needle and seat, and clear it, or replace it. if you are a little scared of pulling the carb apart, sometimes you get lucky with tapping a wrench, but it usually requires a cleaning.

Thanks for the great advice. I removed the needle valve, cleaned and replaced it, but the problem continued. I figured if the needle valve was working OK, maybe the float wasn't floating. Pulled the top off the carb, removed a few clips and things, and took out the float. Sure enough, one of the chambers was half full - it had a leak.

I had another carburetor (a parts car"b") and exchanged the float. It now works fine. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I would probably have run out of shop rags by now if not for your guidance.

I have a 318 2brl parts car that I start 2 or 3 times a year. It does same as yours.
I always disconnect the coil wire and turn it over long enough to get fuel from the can to the intake. Then I tap on the bowl with a screw driver handle or similar until the float and needle work again. Then attach the coil wire and fire it up.
If I planned to drive that car I would fix the carb.
FYI If you need a new float, it isn't included in a kit.
Good luck

-
Back