Fuel problem?

-

67dart_drop_top

Reaction score
Hey folks, I am having what I think is a fuel problem. I will do my best to describe the problem. This is my main focus for the next few days, so I can get pics, videos, and will buy the beer if you can stop by and help.

We just dropped the motor back in, and it started right up. We let it warm up for about a minute, and when we popped the accelerator to back down the rpm, the engine just quit. It was kind of hard to start back up, but it did eventually after about ten minutes. But again, when we popped the accelerator, it quit again.

The timing is perfect. I had the timing cover off, the dots line up at TDC, and I was able to set it at 8 degrees before TDC. We triple checked the spark plug wires, so I am confident that I do not have a spark problem.

I have a remanufactured Carter carb on it. It is getting plenty of fuel; however, I have a few questions about it. First, I am not sure how to set the side screws. I made an educated guess, but I would like to eliminate that as a problem. Here is the first pic.

image.jpeg

Hey folks, I am having what I think is a fuel problem. I will do my best to describe the problem. This is my main focus for the next few days, so I can get pics, videos, and will buy the beer if you can stop by and help.

We just dropped the motor back in, and it started right up. We let it warm up for about a minute, and when we popped the accelerator to back down the rpm, the engine just quit. It was kind of hard to start back up, but it did eventually after about ten minutes. But again, when we popped the accelerator, it quit again.

The timing is perfect. I had the timing cover off, the dots line up at TDC, and I was able to set it at 8 degrees before TDC. We triple checked the spark plug wires, so I am confident that I do not have a spark problem.

I have a remanufactured Carter carb on it. It is getting plenty of fuel; however, I have a few questions about it. First, I am not sure how to set the side screws. I made an educated guess, but I would like to eliminate that as a problem. Here is the first pic.

View attachment 1715052975

When I got the car ten years ago, it had a few lines capped off. I am almost sure that is not how it came from the factory. But it ran fie, and I did not see a reason to fix it if it wasn't broke. Anyway here is a pic.

As of right now, the car will probably start right up, but I want to do anything I can to fix the problem before it warms up. After that it gets a little cranky--pun intended.

Anyone have any ideas?

Been working on the idle screws and jets on the carb. I screwed the jet screws in all of the way and backed them off three half turns. I adjusted the idle screw to where it just touched the carb and screwed it in two complete turns.

I can pump the accelerator and then start it, but then it just dies. It is like it is not getting fuel on idle. I adjusted the idle screw down more, and it did not help--not even if I screwed it in a of the way.

I also experimented with different settings of the jets, and that did nothing to help.

In one of the pictures you don't have the PVC hose connected. It's the big one approx. 3/8 in size. That's a major air leak which would definitely cause that problem.

That might have helped a little, but it was still stalling. What finally got it running correctly was a linkage adjustment. If you look at the first picture, the is a triangular shaped piece with three holes. It was in the middle to begin with. I moved it to the top position, and that did not help. I moved it to the bottom, and it started purring like a kitten. I had to back off the idle a little, but all is good. EXCEPT!!!

Now I have an oil leak where the engine meets the transmission. It looks like the lower bolt near the oil filter. My guess it's that we torqued the engine down too much on the driver's side before moving to the right. Anybody agree? I am hoping that is what happened.

Sometimes we can only give advice on what we see in the photo's. You found the problem by the accelerator pump not putting fuel in when it should have. That's something we couldn't see but eventually somebody would to tell you to check the accelerator pump. Glad you got her fixed.

I think you have the vacuum advance hooked up to the wrong port. It should be hooked up to the front of the carb.
The pull off should be hooked to where you now have the Vcan hooked.
The driverside rear port that you currently have hooked to the pull-off should go to the thermactor control valve in the air cleaner housing..
Don't forget the PCV as mentioned.
All other ports should be capped, unless you have a carbon canister or A/C.

I think you have the vacuum advance hooked up to the wrong port. It should be hooked up to the front of the carb.
The pull off should be hooked to where you now have the Vcan hooked.
The driverside rear port that you currently have hooked to the pull-off should go to the thermactor control valve in the air cleaner housing..
Don't forget the PCV as mentioned.
All other ports should be capped, unless you have a carbon canister or A/C.
-----------this--------------

-
Back