Fuel pump mounting, & return line help

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
I'm installing my 408 stroker into my 68 barracuda. I have to use an electric fuel pump, as I don't have a mechanical fuel pump eccentric because of the Milodon gear drive. LOL

So I will be using a Walbro GSL 392 pump, with the Aeromotive Pn:13204 carbureted bypass regulator.

I previously installed a new fuel tank, 3/8 sending unit, along with new replacement 3/8 fuel lines. I know I need to plumb a return, so I will also use 3/8 aluminum line and run along the factory fuel line. The sending unit has a 1/4 provision built into it. I was thinking of using that for the return into the tank, but possibly is too small?

I plan to mount the pump is this area somewhere, along with a 100 micron pre-pump filter.

What are your thoughts?

IMG_0870_zps2715fc95.jpg

IMG_0873_zpsbabb64a4.jpg

IMG_0871_zpsd2100026.jpg

This is the 1/4" provision I mentioned earlier.

IMG_0874_zps5f313a8c.jpg

run that vent pipe back up to your charcoal canister. you don't want negative pressure in your fuel tank, but your pump replacement look spot on. up nice and tight out of the way.

I just realize you're running a regulator that requires a return line. do you have a vented gas cap?

run that vent pipe back up to your charcoal canister. you don't want negative pressure in your fuel tank, but your pump replacement look spot on. up nice and tight out of the way.

Uh.........no..............

He's running a 68 which is already vented. The sender is aftermarket

Even if your return FITTING is 1/4, if you can run 38 line and downsize right at the fitting, it won't have as much restriction as a "whole bunch" of 1/4 line. But since you have the tank apart, or did, why don't you stick a 3/8 return fitting right in the tank? Can you silver braze?

I cleaned the front face of the tank near the sender, then..........

I used a sharp awl to form a hole in the tank. Not only does this "roll" the hole and leave thicker edges, but there's no drill chips, and stick a short length of 3/8 copper or steel line in there, or the fitting of your choice

Then I plumbed my MIG tank (I use CO2) into the tank outlet port, after draining the tank, and filled the tank with CO2, and brazed the fitting in place.

67Dart273 is a brave man to braze on a fuel tank, and glad he is still with us. I did a solder repair on my Chrysler tank, after blowing thru it for 1 day, but still scared me. I dropped a match in it first to test, while hiding behind a concrete wall.

I have a similar Walbro pump in my 65 Dart and use the 1/4" "emissions" tube in my new sender for return. I measured 10 psi return in the engine bay. Next time I have it off, I'll swage the tube to try to lower it. For now, I have a carburetor on and use an in-line reducing reg (little dial knob type) to drop to ~5 psi at the carb.

Everyone thinks I am crazy, but I have an EFI pump in 2 cars, both down low in the engine bay, and about to do that in my Valiant. Works fine. If you test the supply, fuel just pours out of the tube so little chance your pump could get starved. The one is my 65 Newport uses the factory 5/16" tube for supply (3/8" copper tubing return to fitting I put in sender). In the Dart, I ran a new 3/8" supply. I used to have my Newport pump in the rear (per Holley), forward of the leaf spring support (no similar spot in A-body). It was hard to get to it there and it made a lot of noise, even using rubber bushing mounts, plus a pain running the wire to it. I barely hear the pumps in the engine bay, and not at all with the engine running. But no need to follow my path.

Well I was pretty careful. I did it like this:

Drained the tank, unhooked the vent connection in the trunk, and plumbed the vent line "out" to a scrap length of tube.

Plumbed my MIG CO2 regulator to the sender outlet. Turned on the CO2 for a "flow," then went up and LIT THE FUMES COMING OUT THE VENT!!!!!!!

I just let the CO2 flow until the vent line went out, tried to relite it several times, then let the CO2 flow for about another minute.

I also continued a small amount of CO2 flow while brazing. Not so much as a "hint" of a pop while brazing.

Okay. A year later and I'm back at it, LOL.

I decided I need yet another new fuel tank, when I got the bright idea of lining the inside of the tank with some "tank lining" product, it has all come off and I'll forever be trying to clean that stuff outa there.

When I get a new tank, I think it will be a good idea to have my friend TIG weld one of those summit racing universal tank sumps with two -8 ports. What do ya think?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cee-4041

I no longer have that 3/8 fuel line pictured so I'll have to make new out of some aluminum fuel line I have.

I might copy mad dart's idea on how he welded that bung in the corner of his tank, kind of like you mentioned, Del

Did the fuel pump stay out of the way of everything where you had it pictured? I too need to add a similar walbro for my turbo setup and am doing a lot of thought as to where to put it.

yes, it seemed to fit there nicely. i couldnt think of what would possibly come into contact with it, if something were to happen..

I'd take the sending unit, drill out the 1/4 return line and weld/braze solder a 3/8" fitting there.

-
Back