fuel sending unit problem/leaking around the seal ring

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
Have any of you had a problem with the new rings that come with the gas tanks and the rubber gasket? The problem I'm having is the older seal ring tabs are wore out and won't seal properly and was curious if any of you have tried to install a new repop ones that they sell the tabs are too aggressive and won't lock in to the tabs on the tank. I have quite a few to pick from the one that has worked so far and made a seal is a thicker unit but won't lock into the tabs on the tank. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone ran into this problem and come up with a solution other than file down on the tabs till it will click into the tabs or try to bend out the tabs on the tank until it clicks in?? Like I said before the old one once it clicks in the tank leaks because it is worn out and the newer ones the tabs are to aggressive and won't click in. any thoughts would be deeply appreciated. I already have taken a gasoline bath one of the times trying to pull on the tank wrench to get it to seat the wrench popped off and the seal ring came with it and the sending unit fell out at the same time.
Pat Faley

I went ahead and did a search and found all kinds of information didn't realize that this was such an issue in the past I always used the stock retaining ring to make the seal but haven't tried the method bending the tabs in the help make a better seal.
Thanks again

try halifaxhop he was selling gas tank rings a while back, that a lot of members where buying. He may still have some. good luck

Permatex makes a special sealant for this, if nothing else works. And it does work. Permatex PermaShield 85420.

I bought a Spectra FG69A sending unit and it went in with no problems and no leaks. I have say I'm still troubleshooting a low fuel gauge reading, but I think the sending unit is not to blame because the resistance checked good before I installed it.

rich006 please let us know what you find as their are a few of us having the same issue.

Thanks

I had the same problem. I think I just let it leak for a little while (as in a couple weeks), then tried to get it to lock in place again, and got it to lock. I think the fuel might have softened it up enough to compress enough to lock in place.

I understand you can't get the new ring to turn because of higher locking "tabs"?
In other words, and related, the old ring won't clamp the rubber tight enough and you have a leak.
How are you trying to turn the new locking ring?
Hitting it won't work.
I tired that too with a new ring.
It springs back.
I suggest using a flat bar of some type as a wrench between the ears and turn it like that.
Worked for me.
Without seeing what you are talking about I would not suggest modifying it.

what kind of a flat bar are you talking about it would have to be something that is pretty stout and not bend and squared off so it would bite into those ears. The ring that I have been using has stopped the leak because it is thicker than the stock one but, it is too thick to click into the ears. I've used the wrench that they sell to lock these rings in and another member suggested using a big pair of channel locks. I think I may try the method of bending down the tabs and use the stock ring. What scares when you bend those ears down do you take the chance of damaging the seating area? What kind of method have others used to bend these ears down? Beating them down with a punch and hammer or using a C clamp and squeeze them down, or I could use the ring that I'm using and bend them out and put a cheater bar on the end of the wrench to get more leverage to lock the ring in??
Lots of ideas not sure which one would be the best.
Pat

to give an update I went ahead and tried putting the OEM one back in but it wouldn't stay in the tabs on the tank it wanted to pop out of one of the tabs on the tank so, I bent the ears on the bigger ring just enough so it would lock into the tank. It seams to fit tight but haven't put gas in it to were it reaches the sending unit on the tank. I did fill a 5 gallon tank so I can test it in the garage instead of filling it at a station and have it start leaking than have to drive it home spilling gas all the way home. Not good
Thanks again FABO for all the suggestions

rich006 please let us know what you find as their are a few of us having the same issue.

Yesterday I temporarily bypassed the sending unit with a 10 ohm resistor straight to ground. That should cause the gauge to read full but it actually read about 7/8 full. That tells me there's some extra resistance in the circuit somewhere, I guess either in the gauge itself or in the wires or in a connection. (I had previously confirmed the instrument voltage limiter is providing the correct root-mean-square voltage, so I know the problem is too much resistance rather than too little voltage.)

So the Spectra sending unit is probably fine.

lock ring too thin, and maybe not torqued into position.
C-LRW.jpg

http://www.gastanks.com/Mopar-Sending-Unit-Lock-Ring-Wrench/productinfo/C-LRW/

-
Back