fuel system cheating

-

rbkt65

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
has anyone tried to add an intake fuel pump to the stock a body sender? questions if you did: 1) what did you use to put the wiring thru the sender plate?
2) did you use a 5/16 or 3/8 sending unit? 3) where did you put the return line if you had that kind of system. tia. rick w.

I assume you mean in-tank fuel pump? Don't they have to mounted vertically to work correctly?

yes, in tank. mounting it to sender pickup tube. not sure if they have to be vertical.

I have a Tanks Inc. system in my Dart and you have make sure both the pick-up filter and the return are on the bottom of the tank.
If you could buy the fittings that they use on their cover plate to pass the wires thru it might be possible.

Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 8.07.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 8.07.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 8.07.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 8.07.42 PM.png

Do a search, a guy here did what your asking. Holley sells a set up that is self regulated for their EFI that drops into the stock tank.

Last edited:
Why would you want to run the stock pickup when the one used with fuel injection fuel pumps is much better ?

Why would you want to run the stock pickup when the one used with fuel injection fuel pumps is much better ?
Save money maybe? I was thinkin the same thing.

This is REAL easy to do. Just get a measurement from the tank lip where the sender sealer sits, to the bottom of the tank. Then affix the pump on the stock pickup so it's about 1/4" shorter. You don't want the sock crammed all up against the bottom of the tank. You may need to shorten the supply tube as needed to fit the pump on it and this means bending the float arm so it will read correctly when you're finished. But as others have said, there are nice in tank pumps available and even whole tank and pump assemblies for not a ton of money. What I would do if I wanted to make a budget deal is choose an external pump and plumb it in. There are many high quality external pumps in the market.

has anyone tried to add an intake fuel pump to the stock a body sender? questions if you did: 1) what did you use to put the wiring thru the sender plate?
2) did you use a 5/16 or 3/8 sending unit? 3) where did you put the return line if you had that kind of system. tia. rick w.
Hello rbkt65:
I have done several custom in tank installs so far using the following parts.
Walbro GSS341G3 Pump and sock.
Gates Submersible Fuel Line.
A/N fittings from Summit Racing (see Picture).
Wire Bulkhead from Summit Racing (see Picture).
PTFE A/N style Braided Fuel Hose from Summit Racing.
All installs were for Holley Sniper so far.
Used stock type fuel sender/ pick up assembly and attached the Welbro pump to it.
Does not matter 5/16 Or 3/8 sender/ pick up assembly in my case because I don't use that fitting. I just solder it closed.
Like building a ship in a bottle getting the pump, sock, hose, wires all through the small hole that the fuel sender/ pick up assembly mounts in.
And yes, Home made in tank pump assembly was a lot cheaper then buying a premade one from Holley.

Mercury Fuel Tank with Fittings..jpg

here is the plan(so far, unless you folks change my mind)
3/8 sending unit-1971 dart
stock tank
walbro gss 342 pump kit
fore innovation in tank wire
cfd-504-2 bulkhead connector
3/8 sending unit has return tube on it.
stock 5.9 magnum with stock efi and computer, 999 lockup trans, 93 factory kegger with return system, 96 5.9 injectors, block hugger headers, a body width dana 60 w/3.54 gears.
mods to sending unit to attach walbro pump and sock and return
fuel pump wiring routed thru cfd-504-02 bulkhead.

Hello rbkt65:
I have done several custom in tank installs so far using the following parts.
Walbro GSS341G3 Pump and sock.
Gates Submersible Fuel Line.
A/N fittings from Summit Racing (see Picture).
Wire Bulkhead from Summit Racing (see Picture).
PTFE A/N style Braided Fuel Hose from Summit Racing.
All installs were for Holley Sniper so far.
Used stock type fuel sender/ pick up assembly and attached the Welbro pump to it.
Does not matter 5/16 Or 3/8 sender/ pick up assembly in my case because I don't use that fitting. I just solder it closed.
Like building a ship in a bottle getting the pump, sock, hose, wires all through the small hole that the fuel sender/ pick up assembly mounts in.
And yes, Home made in tank pump assembly was a lot cheaper then buying a premade one from Holley.

View attachment 1716030786
Would you consider doing a more detailed "how to" thread of this, perhaps more photos?

yes arron tate, i would be eager to see what yours looks like as compared to what i have in my mind.

Sounds like a pretty solid plan to me. I don't understand how it's cheating, unless you're saying that because you're putting the pump on the stock sending unit. You just converting it to a high pressure in tank pump is all. It'll be about the same as some of the GM cars through the 90s. After that I thinl they all pretty much went to the pump/sender "module" which is a bunch of bullshit. My only concern would be whether you'll have the room to put that pump on the inlet on the sender without it hitting the bottom of the tank. That's why I recommend measuring first. I've done a few of those type conversions working for my friend Matt and so far, I've not run into one that didn't fit.......but I've heard some will not.

If you've got an old beat up or rusty A body gas tank laying around, cut the top off of it and do all of your fitment trial and error with that so you can see what you're doing. If you make it fit well there, all you gotta do is install it in the tank you are really using and peep thru the fill tube hole to make sure it's the same.

-
Back