Fuel tank gasket help

-

RustyScamp

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting a 72 Scamp up and running after sitting for eight years in a backyard and I'm in need of a little help. Same old story as usual, bought my first muscle car and things start going wrong faster than I can fix them. Oh well, haha that's what I get for buying a project car.

There's rust in my gas tank so I'm cleaning it out and resealing it. Here's my problem; I can't find anyone who has new gaskets for the thing. I need the gasket/collar thing the filler neck goes through in the trunk, the gasket that goes on the tank where the filler neck goes in and a gasket for the fuel sending unit. I've been looking everywhere and I can't find any of it. Any help anyone can give would be very appreciated.
Thanks.

Year One has all that you need and way better quality than the junk on ebay. I found out the hard way....

I'll second that. Cheap ebay sending units are thinner than stock and don't seal worth a damn. I had mine apart 10 times and finally just got a new one and no problems.

The big grommet in the tank that the filler tube goes threw is the same for a diplomat I think. I went and ordered one for my duster from the local dodge dealer. It fit perfect in the tank.

I also went to local dodge dealer and picked up a filler tube grommet just today... 15 bucks. They changed the grommet and gave it an additional flange the old one did not have. I think it is to prevent the fuel from collection around the edge.

WHOOO HOOO no leaks anymore.

Also, I found it fairly simple to replace it... didn't have to drop the tank at all. Installed the grommetn in the tank, sprayed the filler tube with WD40, rotated the filler tube clockwise starting from an umside down position to a right side up position and it slid right in.

I read some real horror stories about people having issues getting the filler tube back in.

MOPAR ON!

-
Back