Full manual valve body install .

-

yeah

The gang’s all here
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if anybody on here installed a full manual valve body in their torqueflight and could let me know if it's something you could do in a garage or you have to take it to a Trans shop . Any info , write ups would be appreciated .

Thanks

It is pretty simple and only basic tools needed. 1/2 socket 7/16 socket and a screwdriver for whatever screws hold your filter on torx 25?
Make sure the rear wheels are off the ground and rotate the drive shaft when engaging the park lock rod

Yup. Even us old guys can do it. Just follow the destructions, and make sure the park pawl mechanism is back in right

Hey guys , well that seems pretty simple . But now what's the park lock rod ? And how do I know if it's In right ? Also any recommendations for the valve body company ??

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm also interested in going with a manual valve body in my 727. Why is the reverse pattern so popular? I know, you can't hit neutral if you're moving away from it, but I like the option of having neutral available if there is a need for it without having to run back down through the gears. I have a Hurst ratcheting shifter so hitting neutral while shifting wouldn't be a problem.

The reverse is popular because it is more natural to pull BACK to shift under hard acceleration than it is to push forward.

Agree that's why I wanna go with the reverse manual valve body . Ok now I understand what the parking rod does . Thanks guys. I looked over the directions on one of the valve bodies on summit . I don't remember what company it was . I guess the reason why I'm asking how to do it . I'm a bit scared that I'm gonna mess something up in my Trans lol . Never done it so I just wanna be as prepared as I could be when the time comes to do it .

Get the proper manuals for your torqueflite, study it. You'll have no issues.

Tsg is the one I think folks reccomend.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm also interested in going with a manual valve body in my 727. Why is the reverse pattern so popular? I know, you can't hit neutral if you're moving away from it, but I like the option of having neutral available if there is a need for it without having to run back down through the gears. I have a Hurst ratcheting shifter so hitting neutral while shifting wouldn't be a problem.

If you are using a ratchet shifter and plan to STAY with that type, I'd stay with a forward pattern.

Something that DOES worry me is something like "breakage" where getting back to neutral quickly might be a problem. I now run a reverse pattern gate in a Cheetah shifter, and you have to practice a bit to figure out how to slam the thing from 3rd all the way to N.

When you get ready to pull the old VB out and put the new one in, sometimes it helps to be able to turn the driveshaft just a bit to get the park rod out.

Going back in just shove the rod back into the cavity it came out of while turning the shaft a little.

Turning the driveline lines the park lock back up again so the park pawl will move over enough for the rod end to go by.
When the rod goes through and into the right place the trans will lock into park for a second and the release again as the driveline turns.
Then you are ready to bolt it up.

Hey guys thanks for all the info, sorry for the dumb questions , but automatics are touchy . Now does the parking rod attach to something in it's cavity or does it just sit in there . Also do I need to drop the Trans to do this or could I just do it by dropping the pan while the Trans is in the car ?

Thanks.

Just the filter and pan.
Once the knob on the end of the park rod goes through the opening it will make a kinda nasty sound like it pushed something and then free up.

That means it's in.
Don't be real gentle about it or it won't go (it has to push the lever out of it's way to go in)
Like I said before though, sometimes you have to turn the driveline at the same time to get it to go in.

you will need to remove the shifter linkage from the trans shifter lever...and the lever has to come off for the valve body to drop down...

youtube..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9O3lnHMuMA"]Part 2: Removal of Oil Pan & Valve Body - YouTube[/ame]

second video says 904 ..but they use the same valve body so it is the same procedure...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU9m7EY-VyU"]904 Torqueflite Valve Body Removal - YouTube[/ame]

Ok guys , thanks for all the answers , explanations and even videos . Any of you guys have recommendations for what company manual valve body I should get when the time comes ?

Turbo Action...CRT...A&A

those models have been in use for years...and probably perform the same...

-
Back