full width explorer rear end?

-

nigel smith

Reaction score
My kid's dart sport has a 7 1/4. The rear wheel track seems to be narrower than the front. With all the advantages of the 8.8, it seems to be a no brainer to install one. Anyone out there running one full width in this body? Is the offset differential a problem and how well do the tires fit under the body? Looking for real world experience before I swap.

A better full width 8.8 is probably the 94-98 mustang one. the axle tubes are both the same length like a mopar axle and its a similar width to a 67 b-body axle. Would work great in a Duster/Demon/Dart Sport.

Nigel,
The narrower rear track is normal on a-bodies. Im surprised that you noticed it. Its a tic under 2 inches.
If you widen the rear track, you may have wheel fitment issues, so plan carefully. The more popular thing to do is narrow the rear even more and fit wider wheels. IMO you should chose your wheels first,then adjust the track to center the wheels in the tubs, or bias them inwards as far as you can(allowing for future outward expansion).

I guess it all comes down to "measure and figure." In my 67, I'm running a factory, unmodified Lincoln Versaille 9" with factory disk brakes. this is a bit wider than the Mopar axles, and because of this, the "early" Mustang Bullitt wheels are a bolt on with no spacers or other mods

"I've read" that some years of B body axles can be made to work, moving the spring perches but not narrowing them.

A better full width 8.8 is probably the 94-98 mustang one. the axle tubes are both the same length like a mopar axle and its a similar width to a 67 b-body axle. Would work great in a Duster/Demon/Dart Sport.

Agree with this. Friend has 720 wheel horse 65 mustang with this rear

I posted this exact question in the sticky and haven't gotten any answers but I can try to give you what I've already figured out.

There's a few hurdles with this though:

1. You'll have to shorten both sides if it ends up being too long.
2. They're a lot harder to find.

The explorer is nice because you can just shorten the long side to match the short side and just grab 2 short side axles. A few seem to have successfully used a stock width rear end with decent sized rear tires.

Sorry not a better pic, full width explorer 8.8, mustang bullit rims in a 65 cuda. 245/45/17 tires.

Bad Sport on here runs a B-body rear end that's the same length as the stock explorer rear and it looks great if you ask me:

Don't forget to factor in the tire width. The sidewall protudes a bit beyond the edge of the wheel.

Just an FYI, I run a B body rear in my Sport, 59 1/2 outside to outside. My wheels are 10" with a 5 1/2 inch BS. I think they fit perfect.

You should be able to follow those quotes to see the pics. The million dollar question is the offset. 1 3/8" built into the 8 3/4 center section vs the 2 inch offset on the 8.8, not sure if that's enough to cause issues. Can always move the springs in a bit and run some mustang wheels to solve the tire fitting issue. The 05-07 GTs had something like 18x10 with 7.27 backspacing.

I posted this exact question in the sticky and haven't gotten any answers but I can try to give you what I've already figured out.

There's a few hurdles with this though:

1. You'll have to shorten both sides if it ends up being too long.
2. They're a lot harder to find.

The explorer is nice because you can just shorten the long side to match the short side and just grab 2 short side axles. A few seem to have successfully used a stock width rear end with decent sized rear tires.

You won't have to shorten it. I looked again instead of going from memory and It's 1/8" wider than the 68-70 B-body 8 3/4 i have in my Duster right now. I don't have any trouble finding them as the 96-98 4.6 GT's are utterly worthless, and they're basically all rotten around here. Flush in junkyards. There's also one of these in the "Tomswheels autocross valiant"

The explorer one when shortened is too narrow IMO for a Duster/Demon/Dart Sport. Basically as narrow as the original axle. I'd never ever swap a stock width housing into one of these cars either. 72blunblu has the same setup as me as well. I can run the same size tires front and rear basically - same offset and everything.

The wheel wells look kind of vacant with the tires tucked way under there. We are going for sort of an autocross style. Would like to run four identical wheels if possible. Currently has 14" rallys but planning on 17" charger steel wheels. I can get posi, disc brake explorer rear ends all day for about $150. Not much look finding 5 lug mustang gt rear ends at a good price. I would rather go ahead and widen the rear track so the car looks balanced.

You won't have to shorten it. I looked again instead of going from memory and It's 1/8" wider than the 68-70 B-body 8 3/4 i have in my Duster right now. I don't have any trouble finding them as the 96-98 4.6 GT's are utterly worthless, and they're basically all rotten around here. Flush in junkyards. There's also one of these in the "Tomswheels autocross valiant"

The explorer one when shortened is too narrow IMO for a Duster/Demon/Dart Sport. Basically as narrow as the original axle. I'd never ever swap a stock width housing into one of these cars either. 72blunblu has the same setup as me as well. I can run the same size tires front and rear basically - same offset and everything.

Thanks for the info man, I definitely agree the wider axles look good on the Duster. Feel more confident that I won't have to bother with shortening the axles, for sure. What's your rear wheel/tire setup? I was looking at going with 15x8s with 275/60s in the back.

My kid's dart sport has a 7 1/4. The rear wheel track seems to be narrower than the front. With all the advantages of the 8.8, it seems to be a no brainer to install one. Anyone out there running one full width in this body? Is the offset differential a problem and how well do the tires fit under the body? Looking for real world experience before I swap.

Check out Poison's build with the 8.8 swap

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=181514

74 Duster 318/904 8.8 Ford Explorer Stock Rearend Rear Springs moved in 1/2- what ever
See pictures

Wheels 18" Mustang so would not have to worry about Tie Rod interferance on front.
Tire size 245/45/18
Over 1/2" clearance to Spings and more to to outside wheel well ( no spacers )
Will use adapter universal joint for now (may get spicer not sure yet)
Have to have drive line made.
Parking brakes Ford hooked into stock
Brake lines new hooked into stock but have to move around some due to different hoses and 2 1/2 exhaust
Shocks have not got there yet figured will measure and go from there.

Will only let me upload one picture at a time so will be a couple and they are sideways must be IPAD thing
Hope this helped

Attachments

• image.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 392
Thanks CudaDust, can't tell you how long I spent looking for those exact pics!

No Problem! Sorry Couldn't get full rear picture car to far back in garage and to much stuff behind it. Try and take some once I get it out. Really not any different than installing B-body rear. Just easier to get parts for.

-
Back