Funky Rack and Pinion installation

-
Reaction score
I Just acquired a 67 Barracuda 340S. Unfortunately the guy I got it from didn’t know anything about it, as he took it in trade for some land in the desert. It has a built 340 with nitrous and an automatic trans. Runs really strong but steers funky. Upon further investigation I found that someone has butchered in a rack and pinion system and the geometry is all messed up. I took it to an alignment shop, and they aligned it the best they could, but it still is not right. It will track straight now, but it binds up and wanders all over the road and the tires scrub badly when turning, especially when backing up.

I am at a loss and really want to drive this wonderful Mopar. Does anyone know of a rack and pinion setup that I can install to replace this unknown rack? I have seen the aftermarket k member setups, but I don’t have that kind of money right now.

Anyone in the Riverside / San Bernardino areas of So Cal that might be knowledgeable in this area?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Harry

PS…. I’m trying to figure out how to post pics

Do yourself a favor and Gather the stuff up and put all stock stuff back under there if you don't want to spend the money on a complete system.

Joe's got the best advice, but there was no such thing as a 67 340S........... It might be a 67 Formula S with a 340 added...........

I agree, take a series of detail pictures of the steering and lower steering column.

Might need a new small block K-member. If so, don't get a 67 type. They have expensive and poor idler arms. So get a 68-72 A-body V-8 K-member with 67-72 centerlink (V-8 and /6 are same) and a small sector 72 and before steering box. And buy new tie rods, center link, pitman, and tie rod adjusters.

Or if K-member is fine, just get centerlink and steering box. And buy new tie rods, center link, pitman, and tie rod adjusters.

Might need lower steering column.

If you are looking for stock stuff, I might be able to get it for you. I'm not far from you in Indio.

They likely changed it to a front steer and your ackermans are a mess.

-
Back