Future of our hobby ?

-
My friend has a 3 year old son and just the other day as they were leaving, he kept pointing at my Duster saying "That is so cool!"

It's crazy how even at that age, some kids just get it. There's something about old muscle cars that just stand out. They just look better. Put a new and an old Challenger next to each other and there's just no comparison. The hobby will be around as long as these cars look better than the new cars that come out.

My friend has a 3 year old son and just the other day as they were leaving, he kept pointing at my Duster saying "That is so cool!"

It's crazy how even at that age, some kids just get it. There's something about old muscle cars that just stand out. They just look better. Put a new and an old Challenger next to each other and there's just no comparison. The hobby will be around as long as these cars look better than the new cars that come out.

I've noticed those same types of reactions. When you see them from people that have a history with the cars (maybe they or someone they knew used to own one) you tend to assume that's the reason they stop and stare. But when the little kids that know nothing about cars react that way you realize that there really IS something special about them. When new cars roll past they get far less attention.

my buddies little 2 1/2 year old grand son won't let me leave the restaurant when he comes for breakfast with us without him standing beside the Cuda while peel out for him , his first words at 10 months were vroom vroom , I put a hotwheels cuda in front of him and rolled it on the table saying vroom vroom to him and when I stepped back he reached out , grabbed the car and pushed it across the table saying vroom vroom , his mom looked at me in shock and a little but of disgust because he hadn't even said mumma yet . he is hooked on cars for life now and always points out the muscle cars when he's out walking , he thinks all the fastbacks are Cudas but hey he's not even 3 yet . Thats the future of our hobby , we have to nurture the interest that is already there instead pushing it down with opinionated crap .

Liking classic cars and being able to own and upkeep one are opposite sides of the universe. As long as the fed prints money the fate is pretty much sealed.

My 3 year old nephew calls my 2002 mustang a race car but my dart is only a hot rod:(. The hobby is doomed!!

When I first got my dart I drove it around a bit with the tired 318, every store and parking lot I went to I caught people turning when they were walking to take a look at it. When I parked and walked into the store I occasionally saw people peeking in the window and taking a look.

That doesn't happen with new cars nearly as much. There was the occasional look of surprise when they saw a 19 year old driving it around!

That actually made me spit out some of my drink LOL. I work for Kuka Robotics inside the Toledo Jeep plant that welds all of the body together.

Ah, programming robots = BANK. Save your money and invest it wisely dude, you never know when the bottom will fall out. I got into money real young like you did, 19 yr old union carpenter, and I wish I would have played it a little differently when my *** was living in a van when work stopped lol.

another thing": seems to me our interests in life seems to be in our genes???? if a person has NEVER had the opportunity to be involved with "whatever", be it the old car hobby, rural life, hunting, etc. then that person may never find that true passion he was intended for!??????
on the other hand, I've seen countless times where a parent tries to steer their children (grandchildren), toward dads passion. be it old cars, hunting, carrying on the family farmranch, etc. if that kid wasn't born with that "gene" seems it never happens????? I 've seen some kids that 40 years later, that gene came alive too!!! LOL

another thing": seems to me our interests in life seems to be in our genes???? if a person has NEVER had the opportunity to be involved with "whatever", be it the old car hobby, rural life, hunting, etc. then that person may never find that true passion he was intended for!??????
on the other hand, I've seen countless times where a parent tries to steer their children (grandchildren), toward dads passion. be it old cars, hunting, carrying on the family farmranch, etc. if that kid wasn't born with that "gene" seems it never happens????? I 've seen some kids that 40 years later, that gene came alive too!!! LOL

The last part is very true. More times then not, if a parent tries to "steer" their child into a hobby or field it usually ends up having the opposite effect. Now your getting into the psychology aspect of this hobbies future lol. It's not that complex honestly. The 60-70s muscle cars will loose popularity but you have to realize that's the way trends and hobbies work . in fourty years there will be a forum for the 2000's muscle cars and there will be a thread questioning the future of the hobby

That's the way time works.

this thing started basically about 1984 or 5. this is now 30 yrs later! the guys that buiold the streetrods out of the 30', 40's 50's cars, when where they born!!?????????????
there was a thread asking bout the average age of the mopar fan. while back.... lotsin that 35-45 age group. these people drove these cars as used teenagers. LOL guys my age (60's) drove then new and almost new)....
I have a daughter that graduated h s in 2001. she found an early 80's labaron vert, with its second motor. drove it another 250,000 mi. no she's not a gearhead but somehow ( worked after school at DQ) all by herself kept it on the road! she doesn't relate to 60's musclecars, but if she been born a boy, who knows! !LOL
anyway, these old cars are fun toys and not that expensive if you keep things in perspective!????

I think it's just a case of things having thier time. Car "kids" nowadays are into what they can afford to build. I was into the older stuff but I could afford it bac then. Tomorrow's kids will race hybrids...lol. And that's ok by me.

Well I hope the majority of our cars stay away from the "collectors" and remain on the street where they belong. I have no intentions of getting away from the 60's and 70's era muscle cars and I can only hope my son will help keep the hobby alive when I'm too old too! I have a few more cars on my list that I one-day will be able to own and enjoy. I honestly don't give 2 ***** if I'm the only one on the road burning gas in a classic muscle car, and will do it with a smile on my face!

Well, after all those people that run up to me and say that they "remember" the car that I'm are driving or had one like it are taking a dirt nap (along with me) , that car will still be cooler than any car that been made since 1973.
Then only the people that are in interested in it but don't remember it will be left.
Can't count noses on that.
It's still a Nova to them.

Cruise nights are stronger then ever here in the Twin Cities... You can go to North St. Paul every weekend and probably see a thousand cars, food vendors and live music. Every other Saturday in Hastings is the same thing.

http://youtu.be/spU1BLiQgzM

Agreed! I have a 22 page list of car cruises and shows put together by the local Street machine club. I will scan the list, make multiple copies, and pass them out to my tool customers and friends. I am fortunate to be in the tool business and get to stop into shops that have cars going on. Shops from alcohol funny cars to rat rods and everything in between. Today I saw a 58 Ranchero with a 454 crate motor, a late 50's Jeep wagon with a injected 350 Chev, a 68 GTO being restored at a body shop, and I stopped by Boss Custom Interiors. Joel was working on a slick Chevy pick up. he was scratch building seats. (A car he upholstered won the Riddler award last year.) My point is this. Lots of car things going on everywhere. I do my best to promote the hobby. Creating car excitement is natural for me. I wish I could do more. LOL You can create that excitement too. tmm

I always find it strange that 60's muscle cars sell for so much more money than much older and rarer 20's, 30's and 40's cars. I think the reason for this is that the baby boomers with the money grew up with 60's cars. As those guys get older and pass on, and the next generation gets older and more affluent, interest will shift to newer, more capable cars.

The 70's were not a good decade for cars and so interest in 60's cars persisted longer than it otherwise would have, but there was some better stuff in the late 80's and 90's that will be popular with future collectors.

I do wonder how people will restore cars with so much plastic and electronics.

Well, my 5 year old son goes nuts when I fire up the Road Runner or the Scamp. Out of the blue he'll ask me, "Daddy can we go for a ride in the Scamp?" He LOVES those two cars as well as my neighbor's 1960 Thunderbird waaaay more than any cars he sees daily on the street. He can recognize the older cars right away.

-
Back