Future of our hobby ?

-

65-440

Reaction score
Yesterday we had our annual Mopar club picnic. As I looked around I started to wonder. In our club there are more old cars then the new stuff, but the new is slowly creeping up in numbers. Among all of us with the Old cars, I am the youngest one at 33. Anybody my age or younger has nothing but the new cars. I am trying to keep my son interested in the old cars, he's into it so far. BUT ... what I see happening is when he's old enough to drive and really get in the car hobby our old cars will be obsolete. Seems like all of the old car owners are the "older" people, when someone comes up and asks about my '70 swinger they act surprised to find out it belongs to me ! What do you guys think ? Will the old cars go back to dirt cheap, nobody wants them prices ? Do you think there is enough interest in the younger crowd to really keep these cars alive ???

I'm 23 and all of my close friends have owned old cars or have a big interest in them. The hobby will not be as big in the future but I think as long as there are cars there will be people making them go fast. You also have to remember that these cars will be old eventually. Back in the 60s I am sure there were old timers with old rods complaining about muscl car kids. It's just the way things work.

Well it's not really surprising, is it? I was just out of high school when my 67 was born, my first muscle cars were as a very young sailer, a 69 383 RR and then the V code 70 RR

So these are what I grew up with. While I have "some interest" in antiques like the old 20's and 30's cars, they are not exactly my passion.

So for me, about 55 and newer is my interest

This I bet holds true for the "present day" crowd. Anybody that could afford "muscle" probably started out with something about 10 years old or newer. That is what they will identify with when they get to be "our" ages.

I'm not worried about it really, the internet is the great equalizer. If someone really wants to know, they'll get into it. Is and always been a small segment of people that are hardcore about it anyway. Not really a place for dilettantes.

Well it's not really surprising, is it? I was just out of high school when my 67 was born, my first muscle cars were as a very young sailer, a 69 383 RR and then the V code 70 RR

So these are what I grew up with. While I have "some interest" in antiques like the old 20's and 30's cars, they are not exactly my passion.

So for me, about 55 and newer is my interest

This I bet holds true for the "present day" crowd. Anybody that could afford "muscle" probably started out with something about 10 years old or newer. That is what they will identify with when they get to be "our" ages.

There it is in a nut shell. I remember when Model Ts brought double what they do today.

The passion young people have for automobile's,is undeniable. The "age range" sometimes applies. The older generation, usually helps the next generation get involved. The stone simple simplicity, and the emissions laws make a more level playing field. Not everyone can afford 800-1500 bucks,for BAR approved smog legal late model headers.

I predict a very slow demise unless the government steps in with regulations to get the old cars off the street.

There are probably more old cars being parted out and scrapped today than there are cars being restored. And mishaps take out some of the 'restored' cars. So the market is unlikely to become flooded with an over-abundance of muscle cars in the near future.

In order for prices to plummet, demand will have to change drastically. A US economic catastrophe could accomplish that. Forced implemented mass transit could be another way.

The muscle car craze almost dried up after the gas crunches in the 70s. A lot of people gave up their cars for more economical transportation. That created a glut on the market and American muscle became cheap to purchase. But those were different times. The demise of true production muscle cars left a void. One that found people yearning for the cars they used to love and the creation of retro-styled designs from the automakers to fill that void.

The amount of time and money spent on restorations today often exceeds the value of the finished car. That wouldn't happen if there wasn't a segment of the population that had a passion for these vehicles. Even overseas, American muscle cars have a following.

The growing trend for the new cars in this hobby is led by two groups. Many are young and want instant gratification. They don't have the skills or patience to restore a car. It's easier to buy something ready to run. The second group is comprised of the older generation that have become accustomed to the creature comforts of more posh vehicles but still desire a muscle car.

There will always be some true gear heads that appreciate those cars from the 60s and 70s. - Hang the cost, they'll be up to their armpits in grease and rust. If the parts aren't being re-popped, they'll build their own.

This issue comes up once in a while. It is good to revisit, however.

One of the things that makes the old car hobby viable is that people still drive, roads are still being built, and there new cars that can trace their development from old cars. People can relate what is going on with an old car. When people stop "driving" for themselves, the hobby takes a relevancy plunge.

The hobby remains as long as it has a viable public face. Barrett-Jackson TV coverage, big Mopar-only shows, small drive-in type shows all help with this. Being enthusiastic when answering questions about our cars, whether at a show or on the street help, too. For those coming into the hobby, it helps to have cars available at various price points to satisfy would be entrants from a do-it-yourself collection of parts to turn-key cars. As long as these things remain in place, the hobby will do well.

As one who remembers the 60s, one of the themes was for old people to make way for young people (Times Are Changing - Bob Dylan) in leadership positions. Here we are, one of the old people. I know I'm not going to be around forever, I should start looking for a replacement now. It seems to me that if a Young Gun steps up, I'm gonna hand over the reins and start coaching. I want them to assume the load, not fail. Who knows? Just as some clubs label their Young Guns, they may start labeling their Old Geezers.

As far as the young people goes I'm 19 and I am addicted to old cars I love them and I have alot of friends that love the old iron almost as much as I do so there is still hope for the next generation

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

This issue comes up once in a while. It is good to revisit, however.

One of the things that makes the old car hobby viable is that people still drive, roads are still being built, and there new cars that can trace their development from old cars. People can relate what is going on with an old car. When people stop "driving" for themselves, the hobby takes a relevancy plunge.

The hobby remains as long as it has a viable public face. Barrett-Jackson TV coverage, big Mopar-only shows, small drive-in type shows all help with this. Being enthusiastic when answering questions about our cars, whether at a show or on the street help, too. For those coming into the hobby, it helps to have cars available at various price points to satisfy would be entrants from a do-it-yourself collection of parts to turn-key cars. As long as these things remain in place, the hobby will do well.

As one who remembers the 60s, one of the themes was for old people to make way for young people (Times Are Changing - Bob Dylan) in leadership positions. Here we are, one of the old people. I know I'm not going to be around forever, I should start looking for a replacement now. It seems to me that if a Young Gun steps up, I'm gonna hand over the reins and start coaching. I want them to assume the load, not fail. Who knows? Just as some clubs label their Young Guns, they may start labeling their Old Geezers.

More guys need to have that attitude. I have began to realize that racers usually have this attitude while just cruising guys can go either way. A good friend of mine has a dad that has raced his entire life. His son isn't as big into it as me so I feel like he his sharing his wisdom with me. He always shows me how to do stuff and helped me throw this motor together. Same with another old time racer who always offers help and parts when I ask.

I have had plenty of negative reactions though from other guys who just like cruising or showing. Doesn't matter brand but whenever I stop and talk to someone driving a old car or bring it up in a conversation with someone who owns one they usually sort of blow me off.

If more guys had the willingness to help then maybe the hobby would be more popular amongst young people. Instead they are getting new cars and teaching themselves.

I don't really give a flyin crap in a fan what anybody else likes. I like what I like and that's all that counts while I'm above dirt.

We had my son's graduation party last weekend. When I pulled the cover off my Dart I had 15 teenagers on and in it immediately. So there is still alot of interest with the young guys and old cars.

I sure hope is stays alive, if not I will have no friends left with old cars ! I'll be the only classic muscle among a sea of computer controlled, efficient plastic cars !

We had my son's graduation party last weekend. When I pulled the cover off my Dart I had 15 teenagers on and in it immediately. So there is still alot of interest with the young guys and old cars.

Those kids were there already. there's passing interest and real interest. When the kid offers you money for it it's more than passing. Muscle cars are soemthing different, not something desireable for them. I see this declining until the musclecasrsz become like the pre-WWII classsics. Collectors will have them, some will occasionally drive them, but as far as overall interest it's waning. Mine is the last generation to be able to buy them used and drive them to highschool and many enthusiasts in my age group are buying modern muscle because they like them better. It's only a matter or time.

The same holds true in toys. I remember when Arcade toys from the 30's brought sky high prices 30 yrs ago. Then the "tin bottom" model cars from the 50's went sky high. Now the bulk of both of these two different time eras have dropped by about 50 % in value. Now the 80's toys are on the rise. Its because people start collecting the toys of their youth when they are between 40-50 yrs old. I think the same holds true in real cars. There are always exceptions to the rules, but they are the exceptions, and not the rule. I think real cars will hang around because of the ability to drive them or race them will always bring interest. As for toys, the collectables aren't really played with anymore, just collections...

it is being taken over by new muscle PERIOD ... I would stop putting money in a car UNLESS it is a DOCUMENTED original with paper work vehicle ... I cannot see clones getting what you are going to put in them ...
500-600 HP .. a/c ... drive it everyday ... Seriously ... how can you beat that ???
I also notice that places that have old cars night is slowly going away ...

it is being taken over by new muscle PERIOD ...
I also notice that places that have old cars night is slowly going away ...

Cruise nights are stronger then ever here in the Twin Cities... You can go to North St. Paul every weekend and probably see a thousand cars, food vendors and live music. Every other Saturday in Hastings is the same thing.

[ame]http://youtu.be/spU1BLiQgzM[/ame]

Attachments

• hastings.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 256
Times are changing... I agree with the "present day crowd" theory. My son is 17 and his friends all love my Dart but they are into the cars of there time which seem to be the imports. Went to the drags this weekend for the first time here in Utah and out of over 200 cars only about a dozen were classic muscle cars. There were a few new Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes but it was really all Hondas, Subaru's and diesel trucks. Kids running what they are growing up with and what they can drive.

Times are changing... I agree with the "present day crowd" theory. My son is 17 and his friends all love my Dart but they are into the cars of there time which seem to be the imports. Went to the drags this weekend for the first time here in Utah and out of over 200 cars only about a dozen were classic muscle cars. There were a few new Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes but it was really all Hondas, Subaru's and diesel trucks. Kids running what they are growing up with and what they can drive.

Around here you only see kids at the track on Fridays for test and tune. It is a lot of imports and trucks but at least it's drag racing. I never understood why no imports show up for bracket races. Yes I'm not a big fan of imports but keeping racing alive is the only way tracks will stay open.

Around here you only see kids at the track on Fridays for test and tune. It is a lot of imports and trucks but at least it's drag racing. I never understood why no imports show up for bracket races. Yes I'm not a big fan of imports but keeping racing alive is the only way tracks will stay open.

I think most imports are not reliable enough once they get in the mid 11's to bracket race. They show up on test and tune to get their 6 passes and the E.T. slip. To be a weekend warrior, making trial runs and eliminations, I just don't see the turbo 4cyl front wheel drive imports pushing through the season like the old iron..... JMO

I've been seeing the same thing locally. Lots of new body challengers, camaros and stangs showing up. but the center of the shows where all the crowds seem to gather is the old stuff. I'm 27, have a 74 dart swinger and a 78 powerwagon, the 78 will never go anywhere till I pass, the dart isn't far behind. the 78 and I have been linked since a young age and with the sentimental value, I'll sleep in the bed of it before I sale it.

I'm 24 and love both. I have a 1967 Camaro that is a 9 second street car, my 1969 Barracuda that is a nice cruiser, and I also have a 2014 Shelby GT500 mustang. I appreciate both the old school and new school. It is insane going from a 69 cuda to a 14 mustang, which runs low 11s bone stock, with the AC on, and a TV in the dash.

I'm 24 and love both. I have a 1967 Camaro that is a 9 second street car, my 1969 Barracuda that is a nice cruiser, and I also have a 2014 Shelby GT500 mustang. I appreciate both the old school and new school. It is insane going from a 69 cuda to a 14 mustang, which runs low 11s bone stock, with the AC on, and a TV in the dash.
Dear Lord!!! And 24??? The money is good in Ohio... lol Congrats on a nice collection of cars:cheers:

above comments are all true. and I say... everything runs a cycle price wise
the model t crowd died off, but looks at the street rod people, plenty of interest and $$$money spent there!?? cars out of the 30's 40's 50's and those that use the " 60's muscle car" there.
way more people i nto mopars than there was back in 90's 2000's. wasn't that many years ago FEW people building slants, valiants, the like.... more resto parts available if you can afford them!?
its a great time to be able to buy a high performance NEW car. this might not las t forever!???? I for one, at an age where they are not affordable to me and that's fine....
we old geesers need to help the younger ones that want to learn and WORK for their cars and parts....
value: ???? if people on fabo were into value, we would be building hemi cudas!!??????

-
Back