Future suspension setup?

-

BooBoo

Reaction score
66 valiant 2 door post, slant6 with work, front sbp disc conversion,205 - 15 front/215 - 15 rear. Looking for a good handling all around street driver setup. This is what I come up with:
Bilstein rca all around
Offset uca bushings,(was thinking of qa1 tubular upper arms but not sure it's worth the extra cost for my setup)
Greasable pivot shafts with poly bushings
Adjustable strut rods (qa1's)
Torsion bars 1.03 (pst)
Rear poly kit
Rear springs 103 rate , not sure of a good brand to go with Mancini/espo/afco/ hotchkiss/general
Will weld up lower arms,k frame, frame connectors.
Any suggestions or changes?
Thanks
Ps. Also adding a bergson power steering kit, may increase tire width in the future

Here’s my plan for my 65 extensively modified Dart wagon, keeping it simple, economical and somewhat similar to a stock setup. No canyon carving or racing, just a cruiser with a yearly trip to Carlisle, the Nationals and occasional local show

Front:
1. Stock 73-76 LBP UCA’s with offset bushing.
2. Rebuilt 65-72 LCA’s with stock location sway bar location and stock type pivot bushings.
3. PST 1.03 torsion bars
4. 73-76 NOS disc brake calipers mounted to the rear on the stock spindle.
5. Helwig 1.25 sway bar
6. Stock strut rods
7. HD shocks (brand undetermined at this time)
8. Stock PS box modified by Steer and Gear to their Stage III upgrade
9. All NOS US (not Chinese, Indian or Mexican) Moog ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings etc.

Rear:
1. OEM rear springs
2. A Body 8.75 with a 3.23 Sure Grip, LBP axles and a 94-04 Mustang- based disc brake conversion.
3. OEM 76 A Body cop car rear sway bar

Wheels: Brand new LBP 14 by 7 Magnum 500’s (which do clear the rear calipers!) all the way around (and that’s what I have on hand keeping the cost down)
Tires: TBD.

66 valiant 2 door post, slant6 with work, front sbp disc conversion,205 - 15 front/215 - 15 rear. Looking for a good handling all around street driver setup. This is what I come up with:
Bilstein rca all around
Offset uca bushings,(was thinking of qa1 tubular upper arms but not sure it's worth the extra cost for my setup)
Greasable pivot shafts with poly bushings
Adjustable strut rods (qa1's)
Torsion bars 1.03 (pst)
Rear poly kit
Rear springs 103 rate , not sure of a good brand to go with Mancini/espo/afco/ hotchkiss/general
Will weld up lower arms,k frame, frame connectors.
Any suggestions or changes?
Thanks
Ps. Also adding a bergson power steering kit, may increase tire width in the future
If this is to remain a slant 6 street car, a lot of your list is overkill IMO. I'd keep it mostly stock with a few exceptions. I'd for sure add a front sway bar and up the torsion bar diameter, although maybe not quite that much. Good set of shocks......sure, but tubular control arms, welding the lowers, adjustable strut rods......no. Same goes with the frame connectors, not needed on a slant 6 street car. Stock 6 leaf rear springs and maybe a small diameter rear bar and call it a day.

If this is to remain a slant 6 street car, a lot of your list is overkill IMO. I'd keep it mostly stock with a few exceptions. I'd for sure add a front sway bar and up the torsion bar diameter, although maybe not quite that much. Good set of shocks......sure, but tubular control arms, welding the lowers, adjustable strut rods......no. Same goes with the frame connectors, not needed on a slant 6 street car. Stock 6 leaf rear springs and maybe a small diameter rear bar and call it a day.
What cudamark says ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
But I would weld up the LCA's to keep them from getting sloppy.
I did it to mine IMHO I believe there is merit in doing it and it's cheap.

I agree, it's cheap....and since this is not a show car......why not.

Thanks for the information, will redo my my list. I'm new to setting up suspension. Mostly built cars that went straight

Here’s my plan for my 65 extensively modified Dart wagon, keeping it simple, economical and somewhat similar to a stock setup. No canyon carving or racing, just a cruiser with a yearly trip to Carlisle, the Nationals and occasional local show

Front:
1. Stock 73-76 LBP UCA’s with offset bushing.
2. Rebuilt 65-72 LCA’s with stock location sway bar location and stock type pivot bushings.
3. PST 1.03 torsion bars
4. 73-76 NOS disc brake calipers mounted to the rear on the stock spindle.
5. Helwig 1.25 sway bar
6. Stock strut rods
7. HD shocks (brand undetermined at this time)
8. Stock PS box modified by Steer and Gear to their Stage III upgrade
9. All NOS US (not Chinese, Indian or Mexican) Moog ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings etc.

Rear:
1. OEM rear springs
2. A Body 8.75 with a 3.23 Sure Grip, LBP axles and a 94-04 Mustang- based disc brake conversion.
3. OEM 76 A Body cop car rear sway bar

Wheels: Brand new LBP 14 by 7 Magnum 500’s (which do clear the rear calipers!) all the way around (and that’s what I have on hand keeping the cost down)
Tires: TBD.

I like that setup. Might jump up to Bilstein non-adjustable RCD shocks. The OEM A-body cop car rear sway bar is a rare piece. I assume you just have one in your parts stash? Otherwise, and adjustable rear Helwig bar will do.

I like that setup. Might jump up to Bilstein non-adjustable RCD shocks. The OEM A-body cop car rear sway bar is a rare piece. I assume you just have one in your parts stash? Otherwise, and adjustable rear Helwig bar will do.

I bet I’ve had this particular rear sway bar for at least 20 or more years. I had 2 of them and someone heard I had one and made me an offer I couldn’t refuse on one and sold my extra.

-
Back