future value of classic performance cars,when to bail out, before the crash?

-
The muscle car is not ever going away pop culture loves nostalgia they are already doing rest mods with electric motors. Dual motors at that with AC and DC. After the Tesla kick some *** rich guys are putting that in their classics. For about a 120k you can too for now. In the near future the technology will be cheap like buying a TV now.

An electric motor in a hot rod is boring to us mechanics, though. It would be at its peak performance the first day and no where to go from there except down as the battery degrades. No more tinkering or learning new things. Just plug in and drive. Yawn!

We all love muscle cars/streetrods/ mopars, fords, chevys and all the rest. But the world is changing...and starting to leave us in the dust. When will it happen...who knows ? But chevy has made an electric camaro, dodge is working to electrifty the challenger. Like it or not , i's coming.
I'm not preaching doom and gloom. But just wondering how long before our 60's-70's performance cars loose there value ?
Who will want to buy the average muscle car when affordable gas is had to find or buy ?
I'm not talking about rare perfect mopars...but the cars that most of us own right now.
I have a 1933 DeSoto 3 window coupe with a 426 hemi. And have not driven it for some time. I think about selling it all the time...But I built everything. Frame/engine.trans.I built the complete car. I do not sell it because I still like the car. But I do not have plans to do the things it needs to make it a better car.
I look at it like cash in the bank...someday, when and if I sell it. Sell it to soon..for less money. Wait to long (hopefully a long time from now) and you may not be able to give an old internal combustion engine away.
At what point do you sell ? How long before the electric car crash...I'm sure a lot of you think that I'm crazy...But the day will come, when nobody would even call about the mopar that's in your garage...unless you've converted over to electric power.
Trust me I hope I'm long gone before things get that bad. But the world is changing. And it's not going to wait for us. There's an old saying "adapt - or die "
Does anyone else wonder how long before the bottom falls out for the values of our muscle cars ?
OK let me have all the smack talk. But if your honest with yourself, you know that the day will come when you think to yourself...damn, I should have sold my car about 5 years ago, when the prices were the highest that they ever were.

I did NOT read anyone else’s responses.

One important thing to consider.

Just exactly like the cycle of clothes and hair cut fashion, WE (ALL OF US) have witnessed the rise and fall of the very first era hotrods: the T-buckets and those ERA OF HOTRODS.

Once the majority of the people that held those very specific cars close to their heart passed on, THE BOTTOM DROPPED OUT OF THE MARKET.

Now with that being said-

The muscle car and classic car market did not hit the American culture in between a generation, nor did it last the same (maybe not even as long as the aforementioned vehicle culture).

BUT.

There are only so many classic cars, they are dying & crashing off as fast the WW2 vets have been in the last 20 years....-

More classic muscle has been available with greater after market support for anyone to pickup the hobby than ever before.

The muscle car/classic car culture expands over TWO GENERATIONS. (I am the second gen at 43 that rode in those cars as a kid-I saw street freaks, the huge lull of people moving on, not caring about classic muscle-
And then my generation, along with our parents/grandparents/uncles/etc. developed the resurgence or second wave of popularity starting in the 90’s and still going through more generations.

Do millennials like classic muscle? Maybe a tick under half of them or less. But there will be a third wave of enthusiasts.

Parts availability and the economy are the greatest detriments to our hobby.

We are not driving Kaisers and other rare makes, and we are not driving the belly-button old Chevy or mustangs.

That makes us unique, harder to find parts for (than the aforementioned hobbiests), which often comes with greater appreciation. Someone here on another thread boasted how their 4 door a body got ‘way too much attention ‘ around the hemi-convertible-super-duper-Daytona-bird-cuda’s-9000’s at the car show because people connected to the car. THAT 4 DOOR was what they grew up in.

Perhaps judge when to get out by the attendance of car shows for our Mopar.

Long before we all get tapered into a Chevy-Ford-Mopar classic car show would be an obvious time to be out of the hobby for money. Or when companies like Gateway classics quits selling these cars.

Investing 1.0.1..It's never a bad time to take a profit.
...but you are looking for a crystal ball!

Unfortunately the market has already tanked on your car. A 1933 !!! If you want max money out of it, pull the engine and install it in a 68-70 B body and that is the winning ticket with the money.

Those old painted Easter egg cars are a thing of the past and most people who built and gave big money for them are either dead or on oxygen about to.

My home town hosts the mid west street rod Nationsls every summer and it's been proven that people want to see muscle cars as in 60s and 70s. The old crowd of 30s and 40s are washed. Like the ZZ top eliminator, cool yes, but something people want to sink big money into, probably not in 2018/19. Every year the 30s and 40s and even 50s disappear one by one and the owners are that much older.

A Hemi super bee/ Hemi road runner, now that is a big money car that you will have people off all ages in line for.

Even A bodies are the "in" thing of this generation.

And cars from the 60s and 70s are basically "modern " cars.
Sure they don't have ABS, airbags and cupholders but they are steet-able as built.
Someone can drive them reliably coast to coast and 70 miles to work every day with no worries if properly maintained
Ask me how I know.
I just think that they will always be desired for that reason alone.
Is it OK if the Road Runner isn't Hemi car?:)

The two things we are sometimes arguing over here is 1. The $$ part of it all, when to sell and not sell at the bottom of the cycle 2. Enjoying the hobby and caring less if the car becomes basically worthless.
It costs basically the same $ to restore say for example, a 69 440 Charger RT as the 65 Dart slant car, EXCEPT the cost of the initial project! Pretty much the same for body/paint, mechanicals, exhaust, tires, front end work, interior! Yes the project car costs would be like $1500 for the dart and $9000 for the Charger, but the Charger with a full blown nut and built resto job , that car would bring maybe $40,000. Maybe $50,000 at BJ? What would the Dart bring in like condition? maybe $5000? Now if the owner can do the resto himself and not pay for it done, he could make a profit n the Charger, but the Dart? No way. He loses maybe $15,000-20000 Now if the owner mays a high end shop for the resto , he is out how many BIG one!!!!!!! $80,000? for either car!
Good thing most all of us are into this for the $$$$$!!

The muscle car is not ever going away pop culture loves nostalgia they are already doing rest mods with electric motors. Dual motors at that with AC and DC. After the Tesla kick some *** rich guys are putting that in their classics. For about a 120k you can too for now. In the near future the technology will be cheap like buying a TV now.
Fast with electric drivetrains yes. But boring as heck. Who wants a slick looking muscle car that doesnt come "alive" with a throaty idle and a "heartbeat" when you twist the key. The sounds, smells, and vibrations are all part of the ownership experience. Not just the look of the car and feel of acceleration. Winding it out, clutching and shifting, getting rubber out of second gear, that is all part of the experience of owning one of these cars. It always was, and thats the draw to them. People just seem to love the rawness and primitive brutishness of em wrapped in a nicely styled shell. That is why the new Challenger sells so well after 10 years of production with the gen 3 Hemi in all flavors.

Awhile ago i saw a video of an electrified 67 mustang fastback. Yes the acceleration was very impressive. Supercar worthy 1,000 shaft HP. He uses a 9" rear, and boils the hides at will too. But its whisper quiet, and when you lightly step on the "volt pedal" i imagine you hear relays clicking and the whir of the electric motor, not unlike driving a really souped up club car golf cart. I bet its fun to drive from the acceleration standpoint, but without the sounds, feel, and smells that are supposed to go along with it, after awhile boring.

Last edited:
Think of it this way, have any of you ever seen and heard a P51-D mustang, or a F4U Corsair start up and idle, or accelerate down the runway. Both are high performance war machines in their own right. One has a Rolls Royce Merlin liquid cooled V12 with short exhaust stacks so you can see it popping fire, the other uses a twin row 18 cylinder radial engine with coffee can sized pistons. Both are bad ***, and at idle you can feel the thump of the combustion sequences in your chest. The Corsair makes so much propeller torque that rumor is war rated power is not to be used on takeoff.

People flock to air shows to see and hear machines like these, and they are at least 75 years old. For some i presume its nostalgia for a bygone era in aviation, for some like me its because of the smells of unburnt hydrocarbons and oil, the feel of the combustion, and the roar of pure unbridled mechanical horsepower.

People are still flying souped up versions of these 70 plus year old aircraft at the air races in Reno Nevada today. To hear and see a souped up Rolls Royce Merlin in an unlimited Mustang rip past at 500 MPH is pretty awesome.

Theres even a 3/4 scale P51 mustang kit plane out there called a Thunder Mustang that uses a Falconer V12 offshore boat racing engine tweaked for aviation use. basically a big block Chevy setup in an aluminum V12 block, with a propeller reduction gearbox, and 4 blade adjustable pitch prop. This high performance kit plane will run 505 mph straight and level. This shows that people even in the aviation world want this type of stuff too. I doubt though that these types of events would draw the crowds of people if these aricraft were retrofitted with electric powerplants and batteries.

The jet age came about at the end of WW2, but you dont see any of those early jets flying around. Whats left of those are in museums. Its like comparing muscle cars to the sport compacts. Muscle cars are here, and people are still digging them out of back yards and barns and fixing them up. Sport compacts will go the way of the dodo bird as the young crowd starts having disposable income to buy something cooler.

Like it or not the popularity of the FnF movie franchise and Diesel Vin has put muscle cars in their conciousness in a big way. This may be one of the reasons modern muscle is so popular these days. At night i am always hearing the sound of uncorked modern V8s running around. 15 years ago it was nothing but 4 bangers with fart cannons. I guess they got tired of having their asses handed to em. Cant beat em join em. I always said to the import crowd who used to boast to me about making V8 power out of a 4 cylinder that you can slap 2 turbos on a V8 and make a whole lot more power. Heck a buddy of mine just bought a solid but sunburnt original paint 1968 chevelle 2 door hardtop out of a back yard the other day for $2,500

Screenshot_20190202-082036.png

Last edited:
If you have driver quality muscle car you drive a fair amount and enjoy, my guess is you can drive it for 5-10 years and probably get your money back or more. Try that with any new car. Most new cars sell for $20-50k, not that much different than a decent muscle car. Maybe our cars are not the best long term investment, but I doubt that they are big long term losses, unless you are way at the top of the market.

The above assumes, of course that your labor is a hobby and done for the love of the sport, or just plain old obsessive compulsive, or in some cases a cover for beer drinking.....

Hey now!

-
Back