Gang Green 68 GTS

-
Yup.. More Progress today.. Finished the door hinges and installed the springs. Mounted them on the doors....AND... Installed the doors BY myself. Still need adjustment in EVERY direction... But they're on... Next after adjustment is to hang the fenders and , front grille and so forth..Also..Pic of old RUSTY doors.. Hopefully driving it by next week .. :thumbsup:
View attachment 1714974861 View attachment 1714974862 View attachment 1714974863 View attachment 1714974864
by yourself... yea, because you're impatient... :poke::poke: :lol: - nice job Mitch - lookin' GOOD!

Well... As we all know...Life gets in the way sometimes... But here is a little progress on the GTS... Had to wait for splash shield weatherstripping, that I thought I had. Anyhow... Got those on and mounted the antenna and right fender. Was going to install the left one today... But I'm going to Maryland National Raceway today, for the annual Mopar Blast..Maybe next week, I'll get more done..
WIN_20161027_16_47_04_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161027_16_47_21_Pro.jpg

More Progress..Got the left fender and hood, and trunk lid installed and adjusted, the other day.The backside of the original bumper was soooo rusty, that I took it outside and used my air angle grinder with 2in Cookies to knock it down..Wheeew !! What a cloud of rust... Then I brought it inside and brushed the inside with Rust Bullet.. Yesterday I worked on the front bumper braces.. They are just as bad... But they do fit in the blast cabinet... Got one side done yesterday....Get the other done tomorrow.... Just gonna Kick back and watch Football today..:D
WIN_20161111_15_15_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161107_13_03_02_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161111_15_15_47_Pro.jpg

Well... As we all know...Life gets in the way sometimes... But here is a little progress on the GTS... Had to wait for splash shield weatherstripping, that I thought I had. Anyhow... Got those on and mounted the antenna and right fender. Was going to install the left one today... But I'm going to Maryland National Raceway today, for the annual Mopar Blast..Maybe next week, I'll get more done..View attachment 1714984008 View attachment 1714984009
:eek:

It's been awhile since I saw this thread. Any new updates on your progress with your car Mitch?

Yeah, unfortunately, I had to pull the 383 out. It had an oiling problem to the valve train. Tried everything I know before pulling it. Found the Camshaft to be the culprit. Howards Camshaft, was not drilled properly on the #4 journal, for oiling. The holes are third the size of a stock Mopar cam, and I think that they also do not meet properly. I get very little air, when blowing through it, as compared to the Mopar shaft. Sooo, I'll call them and Summit on Monday, but I don't hold out much hope. I bought it in 2014, sat here for a few years until I installed it. I liked the Cam Profile, so I'll probably end up taking it to my Machinist, for proper drilling.

Soooo, I spent some time on the GTS 383 today. You guys already know about the camshaft being drilled wrong. I sent the cam back to Howards. I assume they will get it on Tues. Meanwhile, today, I pulled the heads. Everything looks ok there. Then I pulled the oilpan. I think the engine was leaking oil at one of the corners of the pan, instead of the rear main. . Looked like it to me. Gasket was all wet right there. I looked all around the rear main , with a flashlight, cause the flexplate is still on. I don't see any trace of oil at the bottom of the rear main, or on the inside face of the flexplate. So I think I'll leave the rear main alone. Then I pulled 2 main caps and 2 rod caps. They all have scratches from ruined rockers and shafts. I can catch my fingernail in the crank, but they don't seem to awful. Think I'm gonna leave them alone. This aint no race engine. Might see 5500 from time to time, but thats it. I'm gonna call my machinist on Tues, and talk to him about it also. Soooo... How was yur day ???????

Soooo, I spent some time on the GTS 383 today. You guys already know about the camshaft being drilled wrong. I sent the cam back to Howards. I assume they will get it on Tues. Meanwhile, today, I pulled the heads. Everything looks ok there. Then I pulled the oilpan. I think the engine was leaking oil at one of the corners of the pan, instead of the rear main. . Looked like it to me. Gasket was all wet right there. I looked all around the rear main , with a flashlight, cause the flexplate is still on. I don't see any trace of oil at the bottom of the rear main, or on the inside face of the flexplate. So I think I'll leave the rear main alone. Then I pulled 2 main caps and 2 rod caps. They all have scratches from ruined rockers and shafts. I can catch my fingernail in the crank, but they don't seem to awful. Think I'm gonna leave them alone. This aint no race engine. Might see 5500 from time to time, but thats it. I'm gonna call my machinist on Tues, and talk to him about it also. Soooo... How was yur day ???????
***************************************************************-What, u have to do everything ur self too !
Would have been very easy to cut a .030 groove in the cam journal for full time oil to the top end.

***************************************************************-What, u have to do everything ur self too !
Would have been very easy to cut a .030 groove in the cam journal for full time oil to the top end.
Yeah Bob, But when I called and talked to Howards about it, they practically begged me to send it to em. Haven't heard back yet, but we got the Holiday here. I was going to groove it, and have the holes drilled properly. We'll see how obtuse, they want to be.. Meanwhile, I'm debating about pulling the crank for a polish.

Yeah Bob, But when I called and talked to Howards about it, they practically begged me to send it to em. Haven't heard back yet, but we got the Holiday here. I was going to groove it, and have the holes drilled properly. We'll see how obtuse, they want to be.. Meanwhile, I'm debating about pulling the crank for a polish.
I wouldn`t think the smaller hole size would make any diff. if grooved. they would supply more than the .030 groove could flow anyway. I`d be more afraid of making the groove too big or deep. I know about too much oil to the top end ! LOL

I wouldn`t think the smaller hole size would make any diff. if grooved. they would supply more than the .030 groove could flow anyway. I`d be more afraid of making the groove too big or deep. I know about too much oil to the top end ! LOL
Yeah, Well they have the cam now. We'll see what they are willing to do...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

After I pulled the main and rod caps, I decided, they were toast, So I disassembled the entire engine. I photo documented all the crank and bearing damage. Pretty pissed at Howards at that point. Called them, and explained their defect to them. They tried to give me the run around, but I stood my ground. I told em that the block and crank are going back to the machine shop, and after I get the invoice for machining, I'll be back in touch. Took the stuff to the Machinist, sat down and wrote a long letter of explanation to Howards. But life gets in the way. I went away to Viet nam for a month in November. Machinist says crank needs turned .010, block needs clean bores need hone. I get home, pick up the shop work, $400, cause I also had the block decked this time. Sent invoice from machinist, along with ruined engine bearings and rocker arms and shafts, and pictures of everything. Finally after 2 weeks they concede, after I told them that I was on no less than 6 car forums. They sent me New Cam, lifters, gaskets, oil pump, engine bearings, and $200 towards the machine work. Not too bad I guess. Still out all my time, and the rocker gear.. Glad this is my project, and not one I was doing for someone else. Sooooo....Reassembled the Engine, over the past few weeks, VERIFIED..That I get oil to the rockers now, by priming and turning engine. Sooo... Now its ready to go back into the car. Everything under the hood is perfect, so gotta be real careful, gettin it back in. Probably pull the car inside tomorrow and start the install.Pics to follow ..

-
Back