Gang Green 68 GTS

-
It looks to be a very untouched car even the right bank spark plug heat shields were still attached. I admit there is nothing worse than having to wait on someone else! Who do you have doing the machine work?

I know where there is a Maryland 69 GTS 383 4-speed B5 w/Black interior. It has been sitting since the early 80's. A buddy of mine picked it up in Penn in the late 70's early 80's. We raced the crap out of it and guess he blew up the motor (brain fog) and sold it to another friend who still has it. The guy has a couple 69 road chickens, a 67 GTX 4-spd vert and a couple other cars. The GTX like yours has been sitting untouched since the 70's. Yes, there are still unknown cars out there to be rescued.

John

It looks to be a very untouched car even the right bank spark plug heat shields were still attached. I admit there is nothing worse than having to wait on someone else! Who do you have doing the machine work?

Ernie Hackett is doing the machine work. I doubt you know him, he's a small shop in Capitol Heights. Was a customer of mine in the Parts Business

I saw your post on another thread and saw the 383 GTS badge in your avatar. So I found more thread started by you and found this thread. My dad bought a 68 GTS 383 4 speed new in 68 and drove it while caring meticulously for it. It eventually blew the motor in 74. That was in SoCal and your car reminds me of his. Very cool car and a real find. I will be watching this one closely!

View attachment sc00008be4.jpg

I will be picking up the machine work today so I can assemble the 383 this week. In the mean time I blew the front end off the car so I can clean/derust and paint the engine bay. I have real nice doors, fenders,and hood at the body shop now being worked a little to replace the RUST that came off. I'll probably drop the K frame and rebuild/paint the steering/suspension parts also. I want it to be close to ready to drive when I get the drivetrain back in it. Hope to get all that done by June 1st , as that is when the 70 Cuda gets here.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,378
  • 006.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,345
  • 012.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,363
GREAT CAR!!!!! I think the '68 Dart has the best grill with the round parking lights!

Nice to see proof of what I was told by someone that '68 383 A-body motors DON"T have HP stamped on the pad!!!!

Don't want to just jack your thread - but you're in a spot to help me a little... When I close my hood, the rear corner will not close flush to the cowl and fender. Do you see an adjustment on the hood hinge anywhere there? Any chance you could post me a picture of the bottom of the hinge (that's normally hidden by the fender).

Thanks - George
/jack

sorry I'm late, but that's a GREAT find. Looking forward to the build as you go.

Don't want to just jack your thread - but you're in a spot to help me a little... When I close my hood, the rear corner will not close flush to the cowl and fender. Do you see an adjustment on the hood hinge anywhere there? Any chance you could post me a picture of the bottom of the hinge (that's normally hidden by the fender).

Thanks - George
/jack

Hey George, The only adjustments I know of are at the hood itself. There does not appear to be any adjustment where the hinges attach to the body. They are attached by two pins on each side and held in place on those pins with push nuts. If I think about it today while I'm out there, I'll take a pic.

Thanks - George
/jack

Here ya go George.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,236
Thank you - looks like you're right about the hinges. I read an article a while back in an older Mopar mag about how to adjust the hood (too far back for me to remember how... ) I thought I copied it.... I'll dig though that 4 ft pile of mags and find it again. :)

Ok guys, I finally got the machine work back last week and started the assembly of the 383.I did not zero deck the block as I did not want to loose the stampings on it. Did take 0.010 off the heads though. I'm using KB400 pistons with 6cc domes,and they ended up .024 in the hole. I'll be using a shim gasket, and the static compression will be right at 9.5 with the 906 heads. I calculated the dynamic compression at 8.5, so I think ill be ok with pump gas. Using a Howards cam 721941 with 224/234 dur at 050. 518/543 lift. Going to use a Eddy Rpm performer and paint it turquoise with the motor. Also using stock Ex manifolds since they are original to the car. I plastiguaged the crankshaft to be sure of clearances.Also the rod brg clearance. I file fit the upper rings at .030. the second rings were ok at .019. The original 906 heads were stripped/cleaned. Got hardened seats, new guides, new stainless valves and Howards springs. 3 angle seats. Will probably degree the cam in on Monday and mock up to check valve clearances.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,188
  • 013.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,145
  • 010.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,149
  • 007.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,140
  • 005.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,144
  • 002.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,148
  • 003.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,146
  • 004.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,168
Pic of 906 heads.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,135
  • 006.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,128
Cool build. A TTI 2 1/2" exhaust hooked up to the stock manifolds with DynoMax UltraFlo mufflers would work great....

Took some time yesterday to degree in the Howards Camshaft. Howards advertised it at 108 int centerline. This is why we do this extra step in engine building. I found when I installed it straight up, that is was 109 C/L. 1 deg retarded. I advanced the cam 2 deg, and now it is at 107 C/L . I felt like I wanted the camshaft advanced anyhow since the car is A/T and 323 gear. Maybe today, I will mock up 1 head and valve train to check valve to piston clearance.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,091
  • 002.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,108
Been busy on other projects around the property lately. Motor is now assembled and ready for paint. Note: custom valve covers. Will spray it with single stage urathane mixed in the correct turquoise color left over from the RR resto.

Also took a shot at the 727 Trans myself. Have the complete B&M kit with all frictions and valve body modifications. I've rebuilt many manual transmissions over the years, but this is my first Auto. They tell me, I can't find an easier one to start with. Does seem pretty straight forward. Just have to take your time and read through the info carefully. Took the case to my buddies at the local trans shop so they could cook them in their cleaner box. Made all the mods for street/strip. Will finish assembly today. Will post pics of that later.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 999
  • 003.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 985
  • 006.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 979
  • 009.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 976
  • 010.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 999
Looking good!

I love the idea of that gyro. That thing would do wonders in these cars in the winter.

Finished the transmission last week. Going to try to paint the motor this week.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 931
  • 001.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 928
-
Back