Garage floor advice

-

68SRVIVR

Rick/'68 Barracuda 340-S
Reaction score
Hi Guys-
I finally cleared out my 12'x20' (uninsulated) detached 1 car garage
and plan to store my '68 Barracuda there.
I have sealed all visible cracks with Great Stuff
and just had a roof vent installed.
Need advice on the concrete floor.
It is in very good shape (had new one poured approx. 7 yrs. ago),
clean, no cracks.
I am worried about water vapor coming up and rusting car.
Should I paint with something like: DRYLOK® E1 1-PART EPOXY FLOOR PAINThttp://www.ugl.com/drylokMasonry/floorAndExteriorPaints/e1.php
or get one of these (easier, more expensive) mats:
http://www.bltllc.com/g-floor_main.htm
...or both?
Live on Long Island, NY and we get some rough winters!
Thanks, Rick

I have painted my floor several times ( I am rough on it) with the epoxy and have never had any rust issues. That should seal it just fine.

We used a floor sealer from carquest on the old shop i used to work for's floor, it takes a beating every day and still stays there. Doesn't have to be expensive to work, If the floor has dirt or oil or anything sitting in it make sure you steam clean or pressure wash it before applying a sealer

I put my car up on jackstands every winter.I think that would help.I would like to seal/paint my garage floor also.8)

Make sure you keep an eye on groundwater levels around the foundation. Hydrostatic pressure can seep up thru the concrete like it does in my garage. It gets dark blemishes when it rains alot and the garage fills with moist air.
Primarily check the drainage off the roof and keep it dry around the foundation, you should be fine.

I,ve been using old carpet on my garage floor for 20 years.My friend lays carpet for a living,so once mine gets dirty I just get another piece.It,s great for working under the car in the winter,it helps keep the cold down.ShopVac cleans and sucks up all kinds of stuff too.
car pics 66 Dart 023.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 023.jpg

I would think whatever you put on the floor if your floor gets cold and then heats up it will sweat. I don't think a coating will change much other than it may dry faster. I have parked my car for years on a concrete floor here in Michigan and it doesn't appear to have affected it. I would think the best way would be to keep the garage heated slightly. I plan to as soon as I can afford it.

I did not epoxy my garage floor ... Key is to NOT open garage door IF possible , when raining ,,, or drastic change in temp .. which can cause garage floor as well as vehicle itself accumulate moisture ... Let the inside garage air change gradually on its own between seasons , with doors closed ....
Instead of using expensive epoxy paints .. you can purchase a cement sealer .... make sure you get the one that seeps into cement and NOT the one that sits on top and creates a surface coat ... purchase this product at a specific concrete/cement supply store .

What brand do you recommend?
Saw this on internet:
http://www.ebuild.com/articles/498754.hwx

Thanks.

I just go to Home Depot and have them mix me up a gallon, trying to match the existing color of gray. But it never matches, so I now have a patchwork looking floor.
The carpet is a great idea, but rolling a floor jack smoothly is a high priority for me.

We have old carpet and cardboard on ours. It isnt a very nice floor anyway but it works. And we have never really had rust issues.

I put plywood under the cars in my unheated barn with concrete floor and run a box fan to circulate air under the car on my 14,900 mile 1981 Imperial

Read somewhere just this week about putting plastic under the car. Might be best to put plastic down then plywood on top of that.

The plywood idea came from a Chrysler engineer after seeing his 63 Sport Fury sitting on wood in his garage.

The box fan from seeing a guy store his 442 in unheated garage.

Last winter I never seen any condensation on the cars, UNTIL I got the dart out one day in the spring and when it was in the driveway seen condensation on the wheels, AFTER pulling out of the barn.

The ucoat it system is suppose to be good. It's epoxy based that bonds to the concrete.

if you decide to apint the floor do alot of prep work i used the 2 part epoxy paint several years ago you can buy at menards still looks amazing i did the professional kit its well worth the effort totally seals the floor

I put down the snap together flooring (like Race Deck) It was on clearance @ Home Depot. The only problem is it buckles slightly in the hot weather But other then that no problems with it

check out epoxycoat.com I had a dank floor in the winter and wanted to keep the moisture out of the garage, I found this stuff and it is awsome. had it on for two winters now and it is still going strong, I have dragged axles as well as trannys and motors across it without scratching through to the concrete, just be sure to put down some plywood or something if your welding becouse the slag will burn through it. It is important to make sure you degrease and clean the floor really well befor applying it and it is a chore but worth it.

epoxy is great but you must prep.Best prep is rent a floor scrubber,use mean green with it.rinse and let it dry,acid etch with muratic acid,just pour it on and sweep it around with a garage broom,rinseand let it dry,then FOLLOW DIRECTIONS FOR EPOXY PAINT.Good Luck

I would think whatever you put on the floor if your floor gets cold and then heats up it will sweat. I don't think a coating will change much other than it may dry faster. I have parked my car for years on a concrete floor here in Michigan and it doesn't appear to have affected it. I would think the best way would be to keep the garage heated slightly. I plan to as soon as I can afford it.

Yep same here and same state. Now true 100 years matters much more than 10 years but who cares about 100 years from now--we all be dead by then, ha ha

por -15 makes a floor coating and ,althought I have

not tried it ! When i drop some of it on the floor it never goes away! If you`ve had good service out of the rust converter like I have for years, you`ll be inclined to try it! it`s Coincidently the same formula.

I have seen the entire process of applying epoxy the right way by professionals and it isn't nothing like a typical home owner can so unless you buy the heavy sander type machine that removes a thin layer of concrete before the epoxy goes down. This is essential if the concrete is old and has lots of oil and abuse on it. Not saying the typical home owner wouldn't have good results but just saying the proper way of applying it a little more involved.

-
Back