Garage Heat?

-

tekslk

Reaction score
My son and I just finished insulating out garage, its 28x36 Now we need heat Im not going throught another winter like this. Whats everyone using? My wife wants electric But I dont see anything big enought to heat it and I wont do base board. Any suggestions? I guess Ide like electric also.

Non vented, propane/nat. gas heater is what I would suggest. Can be bought for couple hundred $$, and pretty efficient.

I went and bought a "Big Maxx" from TSC(tractor supply company) runs on propane and bought the orifice to convert to NG when $$ is available. I think its 45k btu. Enough to pretty much heat a house, my garage is 22x23.It was on sale for around $400 from $600.

Whatever you do, better check with insurance to see what type of heat is allowed in there. Lots of ins companies up here DO NOT allow wood stoves anymore.

My garage is 30x40 w 14ft ceilings. I heat mine with a 80,000 BTU mobile home furnace on a base. Works good, once garage was insulated. I know up this way mobile home furnaces are everywhere for $100. Just make sure the box is not cracked

Im not doing wood I like there heat but not the work? Anyone using any electric?

Mobile home furnace would be a option, Can you heat it with a tank a year?

I have an electric furnace that runs of 220v. It was in my moms furnance that she used to heat the 1400sq foot basement. Works great

Mobile home furnace would be a option, Can you heat it with a tank a year?
I only use 1/2 tank a year, but I only heat it when I'm out there on weekends and some evenings I keep it around 60. Plenty comfortable working temp compared to the teens outside

Tell me more about the elect furnace, Siuauto that sounds insteresting.

I'm still hooked on the idea of radiant heat (vs warm air / convection heat). They usually are mounted on the ceiling, aimed down. If you have any air leaks, typical of a garage, radiant heat stays in there. Warm air (furnace) will escape. Also warm air settles at the ceiling, radiant heat stays where you aim it. Radiant heaters can be electric or gas.

I use this and paid $100 for it from an estate sale. 24,000 btu NG in a 28x36 attached garage! I don't pay the bill so I don't know how much it costs to run, but it runs all winter and I keep the garage about 50* and turn it up when I'm going out to work! Keeps the garage warmer than the house! Geof

FYI, electric heat is the most expensive heat you can use!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 768
Non vented, propane/nat. gas heater is what I would suggest. Can be bought for couple hundred $$, and pretty efficient.

No puleaszzzzzzzzzzzzuehhhhh..........

NO unvented appliances, please. Plus they generate huge amounts of water vapor, along with taking in whatever chemical vapors inside the garage, and turning them into a chemical toxin.

To the OP what is your budget? You thinking of new? used? You can buy huge electric heaters, you just cannot buy 'em at the hardware store

What do you have fore options? Natural gas? LP? Oil? (pretty expensive) Electric? May or may not be the most expensive in your area

Contact your local utility, most will tell you cost per 1000 BTU of various heating sources.

I heat my garage with a electric ceiling mounted heater. But, my garage is only 16x22. Fully insulated. I only heat it when I am working out there on weekends. with no heat on my garage rarely gets below freezing. My heater is 5000w, they do make larger wattages. You could install 2 of them. With the electric heat you don't have to worry about fumes.

67 dart273 wife wants electric we are cheap but I can pay the electic bill even with the increase, whats out there?

It a GE and it looks like standard furnace with a heat vent and a return vent. It has a large coil inside it and a blower motor. It uses a standard thermostat or I have a programmable hooked up. You plumb it just like a normal furnace. I bet it was made in the 70's so I am not sure if they make them anymore.

Right now Im using a 170000 btu kerosene heater it works great but uses alot of kerosene.

67 dart273 wife wants electric we are cheap but I can pay the electic bill even with the increase, whats out there?

Ouch, it'll be pricey. I ran one for one month and my bill was close to 500 bucks!

I would think that in that part of the country, electric is about the most expensive. Generally, oil would be second, LP third, and nat gas cheapest. It depends on the area and I have not kept up. "Out here" we have a lot of hydro, and electric is cheaper. Even so, nat gas is generally cheaper.

my first choose would be one of the out side boilers yes it is wood but fill it in the morning and it will keep barn and the house warm until the next morning. if that is not a choose then the gas or propane heater up in the corner

We run a propane heater. Our garage is 38x52. I do a enough hvac work at my job too know that it's not really as simple as wiring it up and turning it on no matter what type of furnace you run. If it's at all possible I would try and get some duct work in your garage and look into how many vents or returns (not sure if you will need more then one) it's going to take to be efficient. I know a lot of guys hate calling in help for projects but unless you want a electric or gas bill that's through the roof I would suggest it. Good luck! And go electric.

-
Back