Garage Heat?

-
I use a "torpedo" style kerosene heater in my garages.

I use this and paid $100 for it from an estate sale. 24,000 btu NG in a 28x36 attached garage! I don't pay the bill so I don't know how much it costs to run, but it runs all winter and I keep the garage about 50* and turn it up when I'm going out to work! Keeps the garage warmer than the house! Geof

FYI, electric heat is the most expensive heat you can use!!

I have the same one and bought it used for a couple hundred dollars off Kijiji. Heats my 2 car garage with 9' celings in the coldest days to 70 plus degrees. I put a decent celing fan in to help keep the heat lower to the ground. Mobile home or trailer furnace sounds interesting though. Andrew.

I have a 24' X 40' three car garage with a raised ceiling in one bay for my lift. I have been using 2 ceiling hung electric heaters that I got from Home Depot. I have been using them for about 10 years now and they do a great job. If I can remember, I think they cost around $225.00 ea. plus my electrician running the plug-in receptacles for them.

I have an electric 220 heater in my one garage that 16x25 and when it's on my electric meter will run the legs of the hamster I use a propane heater with the 15 lbs tanks from home depot in my bigger garage which is 25x90. i'm out there most weekends saturday and most of sunday I get 2 weekends out of one tank but that's cheap heat as far as i'm concerned

Well today I bought a Miller oil hot air 80000btu I have a friend coming thur to install it for me. Others up here said they heated the winter with about 60 gallons of fuel, I can certainly live with that.

Currently heating with a wood stove but insurance Co says it has to go so I will be replacing it with one of these right over where I usually work so I do not have to wait for the air to warm up
images

I have worked in shops with these, but they are non vented but I never smelled any fumes or noticed moisture from them and are incredibly warm
1000x1000.jpg

Well we got the miller hooked up today finally, It made the garage feel good, I wish I had it 3 months ago. We have the radiant heat at the auto auction I work at it will burn the hair off the back of your neck.

Great. Since this is a garage, and you likely won't use "all that much" oil, keep abreast of oil treatment. I dearly hope you installed good, easily changeable filters, etc, and should have mentioned that.

I used to HATE servicing oil. One of the worst ones was a lake area summer home that had been turned into a retirement full time home. That was not bad enough. This was an old Lennox. They did a massive remodel of the place, and essentially just about doubled the space of the home by adding a section on the front. This is a two level split on a hill.

They turned the area where the old furnace was located into a Den, and the ONLY ACCESS was into a cavity into a tiny enclosure through a waist level crawl hole behind a hinged book case.

After you were "in there" you had barely room to sit beside the furnace, and curl your body around into the front area.

I finally told the boss after the second year of the remodel that "we would no longer have anyone available." In other words, "call somebody else." I wish ta' ell I'd taken photos.

I've no idea what they planned to do in case of replacement, because there was no way to get the old one out, much less anything else in there. No, it did not meet code. No mechanical inspections!!!! in!!!! the!!!! county!!!!

Like one of these old skuds:

Attachments

• lennox.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 236
I just built a 56x64 garage with 14 foot ceilings. Propane or electric would kill me seeing as how we just had this epic winter,I am thinking about a coal furnace,it's cheap here in pa ,just not real keen on the mess,has anyone on here used coal?

I'm getting a Hot Dawg.....

Literature
Hot Dawg Brochure: 6-114
I&S Manual, Model HD/HDB: 6-583
HDS Comparison Sheet: 6-119
879_fullimage_Hot-Dawg-Logo.gif
Modine's Hot Dawg is widely recognized as the industry's most popular residentially-certified gas-fired unit heater, with six sizes available from 30,000 - 125,000 BTUs. It is an ideal solution for residential garages and workshops, along with light commercial or industrial applications. See clips of the Hot Dawg featured on popular home improvement shows by clicking the links below:

878_fullimage_Designing_Spaces_Logo.jpg
877_fullimage_ask-guslogo.gif
The Hot Dawg on the nationally televised home improvement favorite, [ame="http://youtu.be/gBZ6s9MGsds"]DESIGNING SPACES[/ame].The Hot Dawg on one of Milwaukee's leading home improvement shows, [ame="http://youtu.be/tD8HnIkCJxs"]ASK GUS[/ame].
The gas-fired Hot Dawg offers the following features:
  • Hush-puppy quiet operation
  • 10 year warranty on heat exchanger
  • Lightweight, easy installation
  • Low profile design
  • Certified for residential, commercial and industrial use
  • Operates with natural gas or propane
  • Optional finger-proof fan guard for operation at low mounting heights
  • MADE IN THE USA
The Hot Dawg is available in both power-exhausted and separated-combustion. The separated-combustion unit offers these additional features:
  • Draws air from outside for clean and fresh breathing air
  • Increased seasonal heating efficiency
  • Greater durability in hostile environments
  • External gas connections
876_fullimage_HD-webapp.gif

Unit BTU/hr Input Application HD/HDS 30 30,000 1 to 1-1/2 car garage HD/HDS 45 45,000 2 to 2-1/2 car garage HD/HDS 60 60,000 3 to 3-1/2 car garage HD/HDS 75, 100, 125 75,000 - 125,000 Large Garage, Commercial/Industrial Space

Heat pump (does heating and cooling - more for the cooling than the heating, though, here in Phoenix)

Attachments

• AC in Garage.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 164
-
Back