Garage ideas and tips.

Shop, Garage and Tools

1. abdywgn

abdywgn dismantler

Local Time:
    3:58 PM
    ask if there is a variance for the garage. our area is also 750 sq.ft.,14 ft.peak but there is a 25% variance to add to the square footage.
    any size limit on a underground garage?:lol:

2. Mineallmine

Mineallmine Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:58 PM
    I just built mine a few years ago. I had similar limitations. I was able to go to 766sq/ft though, but with similar height (14' 9 1/2"). Any way...if you are looking for a door on either end I would look at a 25x30 garage. This will give you room for a bench on one side and tools along the other (as you won't have much room on the end due to second garage door). I am 24' wide and can put 2 cars with a work bench on one side and my bigger tools along the other wall. Not a massive amount of room between but workable. Go with an 8' high door (16' wide is nice too) so you don't have to jockey things around getting in or out. I went with full foundation walls in order to add an 18" curb wall around the inside as I know there will be water on the floor at times so it doesn't make it to the wall. My inside is 9 1/2' high to allow for jacking up cars and putting them on rotisserie (I don't have a hoist as not enough overall height to justify it. If I had I would have had to go with cathedral ceiling (losing attic storage space) and it would be centered losing room for 2 cars side by side. As for the attic trusses make sure you ask they make the center open. That way you can utilize the middle for storage. That's what I did and am glad I did.

As others have said never enough outlets (I have them every 8ft) at counter height. As for air I ran RapidAir piping system and LOVE it. Easy to install if you take your time. Won't rust and worth the cost (a little pricey)
    As for lights I ran 3 strips of LED fixtures to allow turning on only what I needed...more for things like body work to minimize shadows and such. I also ran gas to mine for the overhead furnace.

Hope this gives you some helpful ideas

I added some pictures of mine. Excuse the huge mess. That was during construction and a family emergency required literally pushing everything in to go out of town to deal with it. Looks much better now. LOL

20161220_170231.jpg

20170527_161245.jpg

20170527_161309.jpg

20170911_155309.jpg

20171129_211320.jpg

20171127_205058.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • abdywgn

abdywgn dismantler

Local Time:
      Mess? Bah! You've no idea what a mess truly is :)
      I have the move this piece to get to that piece. Then you realize you need something back where you just pilled everything. Might be a reason not much gets done in the "storage" building. 63 full size Pontiac?

• Mineallmine

Mineallmine Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      64. Don't have it anymore. Frame was toast from bad storage and squirrels made nests in the rear of the frame arches rotting it out. Sold it to a guy who had one like it for the parts. That's how I wound up with my 63 Dart :) . Also have a 60 Belair sport coupe on the list after the Dart. My counter still has the move this to get to that right now. Have to get that sorted this week.

• abdywgn

abdywgn dismantler

Local Time:
      stand corrected,64. our 64 Chevy rotted out on the "X" part of the frame. glad the Dart has a nice warm garage,looking forward to progress reports. Bob

• matthon

matthon Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      I built a large shed, roll up garage door, big enough for a car but used as a shed.
      I know not a real garage, but there was a height limit on the roof.

I submitted a plan for a lean-to style roof, single sloped flat roof, and was approved.
      The amount of extra space is huge.

Also, I'm insulating my garage, currently open studs, and redoing the electric, again.

Putting up a metal ceiling, and moving the electric to the outside of the walls and ceiling with conduit.

Makes future modifications easy and could prevent potential fire hazards.
      Installed panel in garage a while back too.

• Like Like x 1
      1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.