• Keep/Work on the car outside

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
-

Useless

Reaction score
After replacing the floor pans in my Valiant, I've really began to notice how leaky my rusty cowl is. Instead of the water going straight thru like it used to, I have big puddles in all four floorboards with even the slightest rain. The Valiant sits outside 24/7 and I've come to the conclusion I need to store this thing inside somewhere or invest in a lot of por-15 and marine grade carpet.

We rent a house an don't have a garage or carport, so I'm weighing my options now. My dad has some room at his place, I've considered buying one of those $500-600 metal carports, putting it at his place and closing it in with 2x4's and plywood if he'd let me. I'd be nice to have room to work, but I need it primarily for dry storage, too keep my floors from rusting out again.

So what do you guys have going on with your storage/shop situations? Own your house/garage? Rent a place across town? Have a tarp and hope for good weather?

I answered other as I rent a house with a garage. When I went looking late last summer, the garage and a fenced yard for the dog was the deal maker.

I rent. Mabby one day I will be able to get a place of my own. Things don't look so good right now though.

I have a regular garage attached to my house with roll up garage door. When I was staying with my mother years ago she bought a cover type garage like you mentioned. It is big enough for two cars.

I've have a 30 X 50 heated shop, a 30 X 40 (soon to be heated garage) 2 12 X 20 single car garages and a 24 X 26 double car garage. I actually need more, but the wife says the next time I build, it will be onto the house....:angry7:

Whatever you decide, if you wanna protect your vehicle it has to be kept in a garage or shop.

even with a metel building if you don't have a floor when it rains and the ground get wet it will take its toll on the steel floors

I own and have a single car garage as part of the house. My 65 GT convertible calls it home while I work on it. Everything else is outside.

The best I can do for now, 12X20 that keeps the rain and sun off here and bad wether, After this winter's ice storm and hail it has dune its job.
Other

do not smoke 148.jpg

do not smoke 029.jpg

The poll asks what I do - I built a garage.

In your case, one of those cheap carports is better than nothing. I would go to the double size and think about enclosing it later. The roof will keep the rain off and that is your first priority...
C

i have a 2 car attached and a 1 car out back. heres the patio i poured in back yesterday so i can pull cars outside and have lots of room in the shade.I hate being cooped up inside when its pretty outside. Got room for my hot tub now. It started as a 10 x 10 for the hot tub and snowballed. Seems like everything i do snowballs.

tryout 060 (Medium).jpg

tryout 061 (Medium).jpg

tryout 062 (Medium).jpg

tryout 063 (Medium).jpg

Knock a hole in your basement wall and you have a new garage.

I also rent.....look into cave storage if you have any caves down there.

We have millions of sq. ft. of cave storage here.....constant temp and humidity.

i have a weak 20x10 tent as my shop, but in summer i get a 60x40 shop with all the bells and whistles. Floor, walls, warm.......

We are renting, but lucky to have what we got. 3 bed/ 2 bath home on 9 acres with this shop for $500/mo. HUGE shop. The blue tarp at the right edge of the pic is the entrance to the woodworking shop which almost as big as what you see in the pic. And it STILL ain't big enough once all my crap's in it.:toothy10:

IMG00364.jpg

SCredneck, Damn, $500.00 a month for all of that??? You have it made. I rent a tiny little 2 bedroom house that has a de-tached garage. My garage is so full the my barracuda has been sitting out side for the last 5 months that I've had her. I've been working on getting rid of alot of crap to make room out there, but hasn't happened yet. But I will have it all cleaned out before the rain comes.

I have 2 garages. One is attached to the house and it's for the wifes car. The other I built specificly to build my Demon in and to store it each winter. My truck gets to sit out in the weather year round.

Jack

I have a 25x36 attached and a 26x36 detached. I had the house built back in 200 with the attached. The detached is a pole barn built to look like a garage because it was 30% cheaper.

Paved1.jpg

-
Back