Gas boiling

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I know this issue comes up a lot, the gas in my carburetor boils once I cut off the car and it`s hard to start again if the engine is still warm. The engine needs to cool to start easily again. Does anybody know of a thin carb gasket that would create a thermal barrier but appear stock, I don`t want to change the look of the stock 68 340 engine.

I had the same problem on a truck I used to have. I put in a bigger electric fuel pump, and it solved it. The pump just got fresh gas there quicker.

I had this probablem on a Fury.I put a spacer under the carb and made sure the fuel lines were away from anything hot.Once I did this it took car of it.
Jim

I had the same problem, solved it by putting a 1/2 inch spacer under the carb that I bought at a NAPA store.

I saw a spacer like that (I think it was Mr. Gasket) but I`m trying very hard to avoid altering the look of the engine.

I had the same problem on a truck I used to have. I put in a bigger electric fuel pump, and it solved it. The pump just got fresh gas there quicker.

That`s an excellent fix, if the car wasn`t a bone stock model I might give it a go.

I was thinking the factory put a 1/4 spcer/insulator on the 340 cars. But I could be wrong.

I don't see how a 1/2 spacer is going to hurt the look of any thing and you can allways take it off for a car show or what ever it is you are doing that it needs to be stock looking.

You know Burnt, I think they did do that on the later 340 engines.

My 70 340 had one. Don't know if it was stock though. It cracked so I put a thin gasket on it. Now I am haveing the same problem as you are. Need to look for another one. or mabby get a 1/2 4 hole spacer for it. I think that will help a lot. It is the heat crossover that is doing this I think. It helps with the cold start. But the rest of the time it is doing nothing but heating up the intake air.

Longgone

Summit has a heat block gasket that is pretty thin (0.320 inch) it is part number EDL 9265. That should work.

Longgone, i looked it up at my work today and they do list the thicker insulator/gasket for your motor in both fel-pro and victor. they look just like the ones Eddy offers. Cost about 10-15 bucks at most auto stores.

Thanks guys but adding a spacer 1/3 of an inch thick would throw off the choke and would definitely be obvious to anybody judging the car. I need an alternative to the thick carb spacers. Are there any new gasket materials available for use in a case like this?

Check fuel line routing, too. The line runs close to the exhaust manifold and the water pump. Make sure that the heater hoses are laying on the fuel line as well. Both are excellent sources of heat.

I wondered why the 318 in my Duster was doing that. Now I know exactly what it was. Thank you.8)

-
Back