Gas Monkey Dart

-
I bet you that they had way more than that in the car. Nobody on this forum could build that car for $68,000. I like most of the car shows but like "Deadliest Catch" the producers and editors script in the drama because they think that is what people want to see. (Orange County Choppers)
I like the show and for the most part, the cars they build. I think the owner and his crew are accomplished and appear the way they do because of the writers.
One comment I have about all the "car shows". All on them have giant state of the art shops with crews of 5 to 20 people working on their stuff and make it look quick and easy. It is deceptive in a way as how many of us have any help at all to do what we do and get the high end results we do. I guess I am saying that it takes 1500 to 2000 manhours (or more) to build a car and on TY, those guys are getting paid and at home, we are doing the paying. The only car shows I dont mind missing are Overhauling and Dallas Car Sharks. I think the rest of them that I have seen have worthy builders and nice end products.
JMHO----------DR:coffee2:

Wouldn't let any of those shows touch my car..except for Fantom motorworks and Dave Kindit they produce some nice stuff,and act like real professionals..

Those gas monkey guys probally didn't make much money on that dart, I mean after arron bragged that he could make it run without all the stuff Chrysler said it would need, he had to call in 2 other crews to work on the electrical/PCM issues. You can bet that was costly. However, I am sure the hellcat drivetrain was donated from Chrysler.

Wouldn't let any of those shows touch my car..except for Fantom motorworks and Dave Kindit they produce some nice stuff,and act like real professionals..

Fantomworks seems to be creative and turn out a great, expensive product. I like Kindigit and his builds but he seems to use virtually all vendor supplied chassis and drivetrain products. His builds seem bolt-together to me. Lots of little custom body touches though!
All of them show the car back from blast, bodywork, primer then in the booth for color. They never talk about the 200 manhours spent color sanding and buffing------------

actually they claimed they had the Hellcat motor sitting on a shelf out of some other car they had stripped..

SO - lets say YOU (any one of us) had built this car - - out in your garage is a 700hp 1967 Dart and you've decided it's time to sell... put a price on it for me... what's YOUR car worth? what's your asking price?
Those gas monkey guys probally didn't make much money on that dart, I mean after arron bragged that he could make it run without all the stuff Chrysler said it would need, he had to call in 2 other crews to work on the electrical/PCM issues. You can bet that was costly. However, I am sure the hellcat drivetrain was donated from Chrysler.

I agree with the comment that IF these car reality shows build interest in "performance" cars for our youth, well its all worth it.

I rather see a show showing people HOW to do a particular task on their car, step by step,.... rather than BOOM, its done!!!!! even if its a task I feel I can do perfectly, watching experts usually show you some,,, at least small points, you never seen before???

yes, and right about a SCRIPT, that's obvious. and yes the try to add some "interesting" personality to it!!???? ha its just T V entertainment!?????

I'll never say anything bad about Chip Foose. He actually is out on the floor doing something in his show and you get the feeling he knows what he is doing. Kindig is good too. The Gas Monkey's, I find myself talking to the TV asking "WHY are you doing it like that" "what idiots" stuff like that. But it's whatever sells. An old guy told me one time "you sell the sizzle, not the steak" I think as car guys we forget the average person watching these shows is not a car guy [or girl]. Speaking of girls, how 'bout "All girls garage". I'd rather watch them then the *** monkeys.

Not even Mark Worman? Yeah they fool around a little bit on that show. But if you wanted a great E or B body restoration you wouldn't consider Graveyard Carz?

the shows, by and large, are stupid. As per usual with most of these "reality" car shows, too much f'ing around and not enough about the cars that they are building. I will say this though, no way they got to where they are by putting out junk.. just because it's being built for TV doesn't instantly make it garbage - ...seems most of the "reviews" I've read about the cars on OverHaulin' lean to the positive side.. all of these guys are just average Joes who managed to make it work for them. I sense an edge of envy...

Gotta remember Mike......Only the FABO experts know how to build a MOPAR. Although there is a boatload of talented people on this forum there are others that are only legends in their own minds.

Not even Mark Worman? Yeah they fool around a little bit on that show. But if you wanted a great E or B body restoration you wouldn't consider Graveyard Carz?

He does everything back to stock(factory)..boring...

I can't stand those phony drama, "reality" (Scripted) car shows.

Buy he cars, build the cars, and discuss the build. Leave all the artificial dead lines, scripts, false drama,, and lame attempts on humor at home.

Sorry, I just have no tolerance for all the BS they think they need to throw into these shows.

Id buy it if I had the cheddar. Like said, be tough to build at that price point.

I'm with Frankie,Scripted. One of my biggest peeves is these are "Car Guys" so they should know CARS !! A few weeks ago on "Counting Cars" Danny the #1 "Car Pro" saw a Duster in a driveway.THEN called it a DODGE DUSTER....Come on, That's like saying a Chevy Firebird or a Mercury Mustang.Bet you they would never make that mistake...Amateurs.

The roadkill clowns aren't any better. Both seem pretty stupid show wise. But I'll watch gas monkey before road kill.
Just lost a little respect for you.. :(

I dislike Gas Monkey mostly due to the discovery channel, the stupid scenes they make the guys do are retarted, and the fact that Richard doesn't touch the car's anymore upsets me.. BUT you can't run a multi-million dollar car shop and work on the cars at the same time

The Dart was the first hellcat on a stand alone EFI, and first on E85 - even Chrysler said it couldn't be done! I'd bet it was making close to 1,000hp, as where the General Meyhem was a stone stock Hellcat setup - all the wiring from a hell cat (150lbs of it) was inside the car, instrument cluster, steering column.. Gas Monkey didn't have any of that..

Road kill, Engine masters, and the other Youtube shows are 1,000x better than Gas Monkey - for the sole reason that the road kill guys build the cars, and don't resell them! They tested recently on Engine masters if denting headers for clearance costs hp = it doesn't

Yeah and it made them look kind of dumb. You really think that they couldn't have just installed a cable throttle body and switched to a standalone ECU like a FAST/Holley/Megasquirt? The hellcat isn't really that much more complicated. From a control standpoint, think of it as a 6.4 Hemi with a blower on it.

I know someone makes a big enough throttle body, so worst case you have to machine an adapter plate. The rest is pretty much just time wiring.

If I can convert a 340 to sequential multiport EFI with individual coils in my garage after work and it starts the first time and stays running...they should be able to do it.

Just lost a little respect for you.. :(

I dislike Gas Monkey mostly due to the discovery channel, the stupid scenes they make the guys do are retarted, and the fact that Richard doesn't touch the car's anymore upsets me.. BUT you can't run a multi-million dollar car shop and work on the cars at the same time

The Dart was the first hellcat on a stand alone EFI, and first on E85 - even Chrysler said it couldn't be done! I'd bet it was making close to 1,000hp, as where the General Meyhem was a stone stock Hellcat setup - all the wiring from a hell cat (150lbs of it) was inside the car, instrument cluster, steering column.. Gas Monkey didn't have any of that..

Road kill, Engine masters, and the other Youtube shows are 1,000x better than Gas Monkey - for the sole reason that the road kill guys build the cars, and don't resell them! They tested recently on Engine masters if denting headers for clearance costs hp = it doesn't

Seriously doubt the "*** monkey" engine was making a 1000 h.p.

And those 2 on roadkill are a couple of clowns..and if you think bashing a set of headers like they did:violent1::violent1: won't cost you e.t. as opposed to non-bashed set your dreaming..

All girls garage is the one show I refuse to watch. Nothing but one long commercial for the products they are pedalling and the women are REALLY irritating!
I guess I am too old school for some of this crap-----------------
DR

-
Back