Gas Monkey garage Hemi swap

-

loganscuda

This/These
Reaction score
Those guys at at gas monkey garage on TV should have checked out FABO before they did their swap. Who the hell is going to buy a new car take the motor out and put it in another car. reality tv is just poor scripted life

I usually can at least stomach that show, but last night's episode was basically a poorly scripted Dodge commercial. What a waste of a '71 Challenger (IMO). The new engine will be great, but for that kind of effort, one could build a 340 that could come pretty close, I would think.

Chevy/Ford guys doing Mopars is never ideal. And I'm sure they searched around read some of the challenges involved. But if they did it all right the very first attempt, well it really wouldn't be all that interesting to watch for the masses. It's just a tv show. It's not indicative of the average Mopar guys hemi swap. We all knew what was needed and what was going to happen every step of the way. We knew about the t bar cross member, we knew about the trans tunnel, we knew about the wiring harness and computer issues and difficulties.

As agrvated as I was about the whole deal and lack of planning and research, I still chuckled at all the head aches scalp scratching they ran into. Just goes to show it takes a higher level of builder to pull off the Mopar customization stuff than many realize. I'm sure it will come out alright in the end.

And you know, you just know, that one or two of them just wanted to slap an ls crate motor in it.

And yep, it is basically an hour long Dodge commercial. And they over used the term, "Scat Pack". It's obvious they don't really know what it is in relation to its history.

But hey, at least there are Mopars being built with Mopar engines on tv. I could only stand to see so many Chevy and ford builds.

I 200% agree...what a waist of a great & rare, original 4 speed car AND a new challenger. wtf! idiots made cuts and mods that cannot easily be undone, if at all, all while bagging on the original dodge design, parts, etc. then why do it then?? No way can they make a profit in the end, but whats new there...Ive watched them eat it $$ wise, more than once. The show is a joke to say the least and "whats his name - garage owner" never turns a single wrench that Ive seen..another poser with more $$ than brains. Im done watching it after this last episode.

Glad they just shot the bumper in green, oh yea and the bumper guards too!! Maybe not them, but goes to show the level of quality they are capable of accepting!!!

Its all about $$. what works for TV, and what works for the average viewer etc. We are a bunch of Mopar guys.

I think it was an old episode of "Overhaulin'" that did a GenIII Hemi in a Challenger. At least they didn't come out of it looking like a monkey fornicating with a football!

You watch some of these guys and can't help but look at your TV and say "You're the reason siblings shouldn't mate!"...

When I spoke with Aaron at last year's BBORR, he was well aware of the tuning issues with the hemi's and transmissions. He doesn't like doing auto tranny's with hemi's, and really prefers not to do them at all.

I haven't seen the show yet. But I'm sure they made a bigger deal out of 'surprises' they ran into than they really were. Did they go auto?

I think it was an old episode of "Overhaulin'" that did a GenIII Hemi in a Challenger. At least they didn't come out of it looking like a monkey fornicating with a football!

You watch some of these guys and can't help but look at your TV and say "You're the reason siblings shouldn't mate!"...
id f a football on TV for the $$$$$ per episode those guys make. The show is the most believable off all of them its good TV. check out the GTX Rawlings just sold, nice car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-GT...39f2fecb4&item=221714050228&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

master mechanic,,couldnt figure out before hand that the trans tunnel would have to come out,,,???? i guess thats how you think when your use to working with tinker toy GM crap,,,

the thing i cant get over is,,,DODGE/FIAT handing these knuckel heads every thing under the sun,,,since that show started all they have done is knock dodge/plymouth,,,dont those spagetti bending idiots watch these shows before handing them the moon..

Sorry that car is not worth as much now with that MEXICAN hemi as it was with the 340..at least not to me.if i were in the market for a '71 e-body i'd buy it..but with that MEXICAN hemi i wouldn't piss on it:violent1::violent1::violent1:

I liked both cars just the way they were. Why trash two really nice cars?

Should have had this sitting on their shelf

passon-5-speed-compared-to-833.jpg

The thing that got me is their solution to everything is coilovers, airbags, whatever. Of course they could have just bought a borgeson steering box and a hotchkis TVS and had probably a better handling car.

That pre-production challenger would end up being crushed. they do that all the time.

Have not watched this show and thought it ended. I stopped cuz it was all ferds and chubbys with ignorant prices nobody with any sense would pay for.

-
Back