gas pedal rod pops off

-

kielbasavw

Reaction score
65 valiant 225 with carter bbs.
When i floor it or get on it too fast, pedal rod pops off from linkage through firewall. Very annoying. Does anyone else have or had an issue with this? What's the fix

Do you mean it is coming off of the carb or that it is falling off of the gas pedal? If it is coming out of the end of the carb you need a new car rod rod bushing. In a pinch until you can find one there are options like small hose clamps and zip ties that when properly placed can add some snugness to the original bushing.

The rod that connects the pedal to the rod that comes through the firewall. The little ball and socket connection

is the retaining clip still present ,if so it maybe worn ,or you maybe bending the rod at full throttle and making it pop off ,if so adjust the linkage or slow down a bit:D

What year and model are we talking about? Is gas pedal mounted to floor or attached to throttle rod?

Squeeze the clips in on the connector with a set of pliers. In affect,making it tighter once it is clipped on.

if it is that tight-- have you adjusted the gas pedal correctly? It is in the manual-- you might be exceeding the geometry angle suggested & that is why it pops loose?
Lawrence

Valiants might be different. My 65 Dart has a throttle cable, not the rotating rod on my 64 Valiant 225.

Bill, I think v-8 had the cable system --
the slants kept the rod type until 1966 (I had a 66 dart with that still in it)
Lawrence

it sounds like the rod from the pedal to the bell crank needs to be adjusted. it should have a screw on end. you need to lengthen it so that when floored it isn't so short it pulls the end off.

Bill, I think v-8 had the cable system --
the slants kept the rod type until 1966 (I had a 66 dart with that still in it)
Lawrence

Early A/C /6 cars had cables too. I was told to look for one when I need a "longer than a V-8" one...

I had the same problem at about 220,000 miles. I had to find a new screw on end with a more snug fitting hole for the ball. Of course this was 1989 and I had a parts car.

I just took the pedal and linkage out of my 65 Dart slant six set up when I've converted it to super six with cable system Holley two barrel. Its available if you need it to replace your stock rod type set up.

-
Back