Gas Power auger recommendations

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Since I have to re-do our fence, as well as extending the deck...deck NOT (d**k) I checked out some rental places for a 1 man gas auger. We are looking at $80-100 a day. Considering the fence and deck wont get done in a day, its going to be a fair amount of $$ for the rent. I used to work for a rental house, so I know I can get a better weekend/weekly rate, but still going to cost a bit. There is one made by Earth auger, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or with an power augers?? I have probably about 18 holes to do, and would like to get a 10" bit. I need a 10" bit as we will be using 8" sonotubes to saddle 4x4 posts on. Recommendations?? Here is a link to lowes that carries them, also TSC has them, but up here they are pricey...Im thinking buy in the US as some places offer free shipping within the US8-)

Heres the link
http://www.lowes.com/pd_41644-1339-...0__s?Ntt=auger&facetInfo=&state=R#reviews_tab

Just a thought Steve, have you looked around for someone with a skid steer mounted auger or a tractor mounted auger that could punch them for you for a couple hundred bucks. Around here, at least it used to be, the going rate was 5 bucks a hole.

I've got one from that link you posted with the 6 in auger (I think). Worked fine for the holes I had to do. I will say the fuel line from the tank is either cheap or the ethanol in the gas tears them up. Too bad you're in Canada - could make you a deal since I'm not gonna be using it again.

Just a thought Steve, have you looked around for someone with a skid steer mounted auger or a tractor mounted auger that could punch them for you for a couple hundred bucks. Around here, at least it used to be, the going rate was 5 bucks a hole.

I have been thinking that too Bruce. My young lad works for a landscaper, but he doesnt have one, I spoke to him and he might entertain buying it off me once I am done with it?? The other thing is the fence is up, and I did a quick fix on it a few years back with new fence boards, but just sturdied up the 4x4 posts. Whoever installed the fence, it looks like they just pounded the 4x4's straight into the dirt. So this is what my twisted mind is thinking, seeing as how the fence is up and we have immediate neighbours(with young child)......if I buy an auger, then I can do a panel/section or 2 at a time and not worry about the dogs getting over into their property. Im ballparking the pricing here, but powerhead $220, 10" bit $140, 18" extension $40. That puts me in the $400 dollar range....that gets it shipped anywhere in the US for nada. Then shipping to me....approx $100....So $500 and I own it...or I rent one and try to rush the job so its only a weekend or 2 to rent. Or get someone in here with a skidsteer(ruining/tearing up grass) and still have to rush the job.....whaddya think of my thinking??

I've got one from that link you posted with the 6 in auger (I think). Worked fine for the holes I had to do. I will say the fuel line from the tank is either cheap or the ethanol in the gas tears them up. Too bad you're in Canada - could make you a deal since I'm not gonna be using it again.

Fuel line is a cheap fix...any other issues with it?? 8" sonotubes require a 10" bit....or an 8" bit with a little hand diggin'. Maybe pm me a price as to what you are thinking??

Well, if it were me and I was doing a panel section at a time and was in no hurry I would use good ole post hole diggers. You would only be doing two to three holes at a time, right? How tough is the ground there? Also once you pull the post out part of the work is done for you.

I did a fence here with, whew, probably 40 posts and did it by hand. It took me a week though.

Fuel line is a cheap fix...any other issues with it??

It was always hard to start but once going worked pretty good. Come to think about it my gas powered weed eater is really hard to start and don't ask about the chain saw!

Just dig the holes yourself with a graft ( very narrow spade ) save some money and get some exercise as well !!!!

It was always hard to start but once going worked pretty good. Come to think about it my gas powered weed eater is really hard to start and don't ask about the chain saw!

LOL anything gas and pull start is a pain in the kack!!
Stroker we have a Stihl whipper snipper and a stihl chain saw...Stihl is out to lunch on their pricing...well over $1000

And I AM NOT DOING THIS BY HAND!! LOL I dont mind doing some digging, but 3-4 foot depth and over a dozen holes ...fuhgettabout it!! I do need the excercise, but my back is already screwed

LOL anything gas and pull start is a pain in the kack!!
Stroker we have a Stihl whipper snipper and a stihl chain saw...Stihl is out to lunch on their pricing...well over $1000

And I AM NOT DOING THIS BY HAND!! LOL I dont mind doing some digging, but 3-4 foot depth and over a dozen holes ...fuhgettabout it!! I do need the excercise, but my back is already screwed

But friend, how many threads have you seen and commented on and AGREED with that you get what you pay for. Lemmie tell you something. I repair small engines as a hobby for friends. You know what brand I have YET to see? You guessed it. Stihl. Know what brand I have for myself? You got it again. Stihl. Get this. I have had my Stihl chainsaw for NINE YEARS. Not one single time have I ever drained the gas out of it. Ever. I can go out there when I get home today and fire that pup right off. Same with my blower. Same with my weedeater...although they are not quite as old. ....and I don't even use STA BIL in my stuff like I recommend to my customers. I don't know what it is about Stihl stuff.....but they just don't go bad from sitting like all the rest do, and they don't give problems. The fact that my stuff POPPS OFF when I need it is reason enough to pay more. DAMN a Poulan. LOL

Well, it was just a thought, LOL. I know after I got done I could hardly pick up anything for a week, my hands and forearms were so weak.

Find a farmer with a tractor mounted post hole digger and he can do the job quickly. I have one for mine and have the 6 inch and the 9 inch augers. I had one of the hand held post hole diggers for less than 4 hours before I returned it. Here we have a massive amount of clay and even going at it slow the auger would hang up and the power head would about rip your arms off if you didn't just let go. I didn't need a broken arm from that thing. I then rented one that was shaft driven off a motor that sat on a cart that was about 8 feet back from the auger head. It worked good but was pricey to rent so I bought one for the tractor. Now the hardest part is hooking it up on the tractor and that isn't hard.

This must be the updated version of what I rented. It is the second machine down.

http://www.beavervalleysupply.com/sectioni/ghog.htm

Here is the style I rented. You can do a huge amount of holes with this. Takes about 5 minutes a hole in our clay.

Attachments

• power_auger_oneman.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 120
I have rented one like in okcarcollectors photo,works great but for the same money I rented this one and was much easier,and it has reverse! I paid 110 a day and got it on a weekend ended up paying for 1 day and having it for 2

Attachments

• auger 001.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 150
  • auger 002.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 150
Hey Stroker I agree with you, I would get the Stihl if I could afford it, but a grand just isnt in my budget. Im debating in order to keep costs down whether to skip the sono-tubes and just put the concrete in holes....sonotubes are better but wanting to save $$ and we are hoping to list the house for sale within a year

Bruce maybe I could bribe the kids with beer and do it by hand?? LOL

I wish Garrett was better off financially as he wants to get into building decks/fences and currently works for a landscaper, I would split the purchase on a hydraulic driven one....more thoughts to ponder....

Just wondering if you got a lot of rock? I rented a skid steer with an auger to drill some holes for gate posts, thanks to the auger skipping around thanks to the rocks I have 36" holes........and if you do not have a lot of rock don't be a p$%sy, dig by them hand....

Just wondering if you got a lot of rock? I rented a skid steer with an auger to drill some holes for gate posts, thanks to the auger skipping around thanks to the rocks I have 36" holes........

LOL 36" holes....gonna need a heck of a lot of concrete!! Not a lot of rock here Doug, but skid steer and an auger would be about $300 for the weekend plus fuel...then I gotta get it done in the weekend(both holes for deck and for the fence) I cant see that happening....

LOL 36" holes....gonna need a heck of a lot of concrete!! Not a lot of rock here Doug, but skid steer and an auger would be about $300 for the weekend plus fuel...then I gotta get it done in the weekend(both holes for deck and for the fence) I cant see that happening....
I drilled 30 holes in my neighbors yard, with very little rock, in under 2 hours. He got nice clean 18" holes, close to 48" deep.......

18 holes and setting 18 poles shouldn't take one single day with a quality post hole digger. You should be sure and read the reviews on the Lowes website on the one you are looking at.

I drilled 30 holes in my neighbors yard, with very little rock, in under 2 hours. He got nice clean 18" holes, close to 48" deep.......

Under 2 hours?? Holy sheet!! Well gonna chk the rental place out....probably take me 6 hours...but holes would still be done by nightfall LOL

-
Back