Gas price going up // Rethinking the new project car

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
Gas price exploded in canada since october , we pay 1.68 $ @ litre of gas ...i dont mind the duster and its gas consumption for fun summer days once in a while...but my new toy , 69 ratty valiant makes my mind go in all directions , goals are weird...* Have a ratty looking car with patina and old funny notlagia look ( 1970s -hippie style ) little lumpy cam , black steel wheels , light body and components but...i wanted a sleeper an ugly rocket ahahahah but with the prices so high im telling myself that maybe my stockish 360 with 350hp ( xe268 cam ) with a 904 reverse valve body ( 2 200 stall ) and highway gears could be the way . Theres the a833od that is still available too, but the car was born : 273 2bbl and 904 , i wanted to keep the look too , all kinds of ideas passed by with a 3.9 magnun v6 swap even a srt4 4cyl swap..but even then doing all the work and $$$ modification will be tricky , i tought about buying a cheap 318 and sleeve it for 273 pistons but even there it will be $$$$. So 360 / 904 /2.xx gears and 20 mpg ? With a 2 500 pound valiant ? Your toughts !

Really thinking about buying a retired electric Forklift for the motor. Did you all see what AZN and Farmtruck had Jeff Lutz build with one.

It does make you think. Here , we have been at $5 a gallon for a while. In a few years, they will only be producing electric cars. There is this expression about torpedo's.

Yeah-no, there's a large pitcher of Kool-aid for everybody that forgot "electricity prices will necessarily skyrocket", good luck with that path.

Yeah-no, there's a large pitcher of Kool-aid for everybody that forgot "electricity prices will necessarily skyrocket", good luck with that path.
I agree. If anyone thinks electric cars and electricity will be affordable well then, take a sip!!
Sure the tech for electric cars will get better and better, but power...ha hold on to your ***!

What would I do?
5.2 Magnum with stock EFI and stock Magnum exhaust manifolds, dual exhaust. 32RH/999 transmission- lockup convertor, but no overdrive- so no crossmember/floorpan mods. Direct bolt in to replace the 904. Deeper first gear, and lockup gives a bit more efficiency on the highway. 3.23/2.94 gears in the rear. Maybe a small cam, but I'd start out stock and get the bugs ironed out first.
5.2 gets you a nice street driver and EFI keeps the mileage and driveability where you need it. Plus parts are available everywhere.

Last edited:
Electric cars should have solar cells coating the skin of the body for recharging thru out the day .

Electric cars should have solar cells coating the skin of the body for recharging thru out the day .
But then the electric company won't get their cut. And just wait until the government adds a road tax to your electric bill when petroleum revenues fall...

It does make you think. Here , we have been at $5 a gallon for a while. In a few years, they will only be producing electric cars. There is this expression about torpedo's.
Doesn't make me think about it at all.......they can kiss my *** with that electric car bullshit.....a muscle car is a muscle car period!!!!! Yeah I get it that some EV's may be faster, some motorcycles may be faster, some diesels may be faster.....BUT NONE OF THAT **** IN THE ENGINE BAY OF A GENUINE MUSCLE CAR IS COOLER!!!!

those might run the radio......not enough to do ****. We were on a ferry to Alcatraz that had a sizeable array of solar cells on top. probably 20 house panels. I read up on the green solar propoganda sheet they had displayed. Turns out those solar cells powered the ships emergency lighting only..ie a few hallway LED lights and the EXIT signs! That was it!

How about a 3.6 Pentastar motor? Almost 300HP from an NA V6 and quite a few in the boneyards from minivans and throw away V6 Chargers.
240/225tq at the wheels in a Charger, throw a tune on it and that ads 40/40 at 5500

No headers....cast exhaust dump into the head.

Last edited:
2.5 4 cyl and 5 speed from a Dakota should fit nicely in a A-body.

those might run the radio......not enough to do ****. We were on a ferry to Alcatraz that had a sizeable array of solar cells on top. probably 20 house panels. I read up on the green solar propoganda sheet they had displayed. Turns out those solar cells powered the ships emergency lighting only..ie a few hallway LED lights and the EXIT signs! That was it!
Maybe we could mount wind turbines to the roof, so as you get up to speed you start recharging the batteries... :rolleyes:

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman
Yeah, I'm the taxman

Thought we were talk'n about gas mileage? Ok, put a 440 in a A-body with two 750 DP's on top :)
Well if the focus is soley based upon a financial reason then trying to reinvent the wheel and make that all work in a car that it was never designed to go into kinda kills that.....

Well if the focus is soley based upon a financial reason then trying to reinvent the wheel and make that all work in a car that it was never designed to go into kinda kills that.....
I take it you didn't read the OP's first post. He's considering a 3.9 V6 ?? Is that reinventing the wheel? The quoted post was a stupid answer

I take it you didn't read the OP's first post. He's considering a 3.9 V6 ?? Is that reinventing the wheel? The quoted post was a stupid answer
He's in over his head, first he complains about not being able to afford the price of gas and then he wants to put a POS engine in it that will require fabrication/money to make that happen and may not net him any gas mileage savings in the end anyhow and for certain will be one boring *** ride.

He's in over his head, first he complains about not being able to afford the price of gas and then he wants to put a POS engine in it that will require fabrication/money to make that happen and may not net him any gas mileage savings in the end anyhow and for certain will be one boring *** ride.
So? His time, his money, his project, he can do whatever he wants with all 3. I just played along with his thoughts he shared. If his thoughts bother you, then one click of a button and you leave the thread :) don't get ulcer's. And it's not up to you to decide what's boring to him. He'll decide that.

How about a 3.6 Pentastar motor? Almost 300HP from an NA V6 and quite a few in the boneyards from minivans and throw away V6 Chargers.
240/225tq at the wheels in a Charger, throw a tune on it and that ads 40/40 at 5500

No headers....cast exhaust dump into the head.
Another junk engine......

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back