Gas price going up // Rethinking the new project car

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot lie....since I went to the slant 6, I am having the most fun with any vehicle I've ever had. It's just a blast.
I have owned slant 6's and I can't honestly agree with that, lol, but as I said before it at least makes sense and is 1000 times better an engine than the 2.5 or 3.6 that was mentioned.

The ultimate test is, how big a smile anything puts across your face.
I still say every Mopar nut needs at least 4,5, 6 or so old cars with various drive trains, transmissions, rear gears and grades of paint!!???

I bet a 2.5 turbo in a A-body with a 5 speed from a Dakota would just be a riot. I'm thinking 30 mpg, and 15.50's in the 1/4 at the factory 7 psi.

My cars are cool......the stupidity being recommended is what you would call ****!!!!!

Gotta say, I'm getting tired of ignoring (skimming past) your posts. Never put anyone on ignore before...

I really don't understand why you keep dropping into threads with the same rhetoric every time. I understand your opinion, sometimes I even agree, but hardly ever do I see anything useful or constructive. It's obvious most of the people in the threads I've seen don't care what you think, so why keep telling everyone? I'm sure you have a wealth of knowledge and probably even share it here, but all I ever see is you bashing people for doing things you don't agree with. Maybe it's time to let people do what they want and if you don't agree quietly walk away?

Now maybe some concrete reasons why a certain swap isn't the best plan rather than outright opinions like "it's ugly" would be helpful. Maybe, as an example, "a G3 Hemi swap isn't a good idea because it will exceed your stated budget". That would be useful input. Just a thought.

The only other motive I can come up with is that you see the hobby as being ruined and it is breaking your heart. If so, fair enough. But you aren't saving it by bashing in the skulls of everyone that doesn't fit the mold you seem to think everyone should adhere to.

Id build a quality stock 273, dual exhaust with a 2 barrel and a 2xxx rear axel ratio, whatever trans you'd like. In a lighter weight car, you'll do well with gas milage and still have some kick of a 8cylinder
Id think thats the easiest simplest and least expensive way you could go

You should swap in a 2.5L 4-banger just to piss off @'68cuda416 and other people like him. We don't need that kind of negativity in this hobby. 2.5L is a good engine and it's 100% MOPAR, I've heard of guys pushing 6-7-800 HP on those with basically stock bottom ends. I know of at least one guy who has swapped a 3.6L Pentastar in an A-body and it kicks ***, runs 13s in the quarter and gets 25+ MPG. It's not easy though due to the exhaust manifold being integrated into the head it doesn't leave much clearance for exhaust in older cars. My mom drives a 2014 Chrysler 300 AWD with the 3.6L and that thing hauls for being a 4400-lb full-size sedan (yes I know the 8-speed helps a lot but it still moves even at high speed).

If it was mine I'd swap in a 5.2L Magnum in a heartbeat, keep the EFI if you can manage just for an extra couple MPG and ease of use. I like the low-gear-set 904/999 idea too, I have 2.94 gears in my Duster and they're perfect for highway cruising. That combo in an A-body should easily average 20 MPG or more.

Id build a quality stock 273, dual exhaust with a 2 barrel and a 2xxx rear axel ratio, whatever trans you'd like. In a lighter weight car, you'll do well with gas milage and still have some kick of a 8cylinder
Id think thats the easiest simplest and least expensive way you could go
yes it would be good..but i dont have a 273 and they are rare in canada , the only other way would be to sleeve the 360 to match the 273 size pistons

I would do whatever grocery fetching and commuting I had to do, in some reliable economy car..... and build the Mopar I WANT, and drive it when I wanted and when I could afford to feed it. I would not build some compromised half-wanted mess, to try to get a few more mpg..... that's what a prius is for.

I would do whatever grocery fetching and commuting I had to do, in some reliable economy car..... and build the Mopar I WANT, and drive it when I wanted and when I could afford to feed it. I would not build some compromised half-wanted mess, to try to get a few more mpg..... that's what a prius is for.
But to be fair.... some may WANT to drive their mopar, don't care about 60 ft times or 1/4 mile times, and want fuel mileage. I have cars that I like to drive and how "fast" they are is not much of a concern to me. I think the OP is on this page also...

Electric cars should have solar cells coating the skin of the body for recharging thru out the day
Not enough surface area to make a notable increase in range

I worked at a thin film solar manufacturer.

We investigated that.

On the roof of a semi trailer there is enough area to make a small dent in the refrigeration unit but only still a small dent.

Solar provides about 1000w per meter squared. A little more than 3 feet x 3 feet

At 15 to 20% efficiency that's 150 to 200 watts for about 3 feet by 3 feet.

Now the sun is not always streight overhead, so you loose a bit for every degree of angle, throw in clouds, dust, you name it.

Maybe you could get 50 watts times 6 hours. 300 watthours is not going to get you very far.

Usd 2.25 per liter or usd 8,62 per gallon in Sweden
It does make you think. Here , we have been at $5 a gallon for a while
And how much of that is TAX?
Taxes, fees make up $1.18 per gallon of gas in California | KTLA

CA, 1.18 per gallon fees and taxes

Taxes:
Federal Excise Tax: 18 cents per gallon
State Excise Tax: 51 cents per gallon
Sales Tax (estimated): 10 cents per gallon
Fees:
Low Carbon Gas Programs: 22 cents per gallon
Greenhouse Gas Programs: 15 cents per gallon
Underground Tank Storage: 2 cents per gallon

I will admit, I wouldn't go for the turbo 4 or the V6 idea.....it's just not me, BUT nor will I piss in somebody's Corn Flakes who wants to do it. That's what hot roddin is all about. We have a member who put a 3.6 Pentastar in a Dart and I think it's wild.

We have a member on the B side that put a Toyota in his Falcon.......

....but it's a 650hp turbo'ed V6 Falcon, with efi and overdrive. I like it!

BTW

In 1967 you could get gas for $0.33

In today's dollars that would be $2.75, tack on 1.00 in taxes and fees, $3.75 per gallon. It's really about the same.

Gas through our A body years 1960 Thru 76 was between 30 and 40 cents per gallon then in 75-76 it jumped to 50+ per gallon.

Fact #741: August 20, 2012 Historical Gasoline Prices, 1929-2011

We have a member on the B side that put a Toyota in his Falcon.......

....but it's a 650hp turbo'ed V6 Falcon, with efi and overdrive. I like it!
Yeah that "counts" alright. lol

BTW

In 1967 you could get gas for $0.33

In today's dollars that would be $2.75, tack on 1.00 in taxes and fees, $3.75 per gallon. It's really about the same.

Gas through our A body years 1960 Thru 76 was between 30 and 40 cents per gallon then in 75-76 it jumped to 50+ per gallon.

Fact #741: August 20, 2012 Historical Gasoline Prices, 1929-2011
$3.75? Where, Oklahoma? Try 4.75 in so. Cal. 3.6 VVT in the mommyvan kicks *** for that big car. Imagine that in a 2800 A-body? You'll lose its 6-8 sp. transmission as it's computer controlled but the throttle to that is too. Wards 10 best engines for 6 Years, Over 10 million produced and counting..... not a bad motor. All have their issues, mine was the F'n oil cooler!

You should swap in a 2.5L 4-banger just to piss off @'68cuda416 and other people like him. We don't need that kind of negativity in this hobby. 2.5L is a good engine and it's 100% MOPAR, I've heard of guys pushing 6-7-800 HP on those with basically stock bottom ends. I know of at least one guy who has swapped a 3.6L Pentastar in an A-body and it kicks ***, runs 13s in the quarter and gets 25+ MPG. It's not easy though due to the exhaust manifold being integrated into the head it doesn't leave much clearance for exhaust in older cars. My mom drives a 2014 Chrysler 300 AWD with the 3.6L and that thing hauls for being a 4400-lb full-size sedan (yes I know the 8-speed helps a lot but it still moves even at high speed).

If it was mine I'd swap in a 5.2L Magnum in a heartbeat, keep the EFI if you can manage just for an extra couple MPG and ease of use. I like the low-gear-set 904/999 idea too, I have 2.94 gears in my Duster and they're perfect for highway cruising. That combo in an A-body should easily average 20 MPG or more.
Wouldn't piss me off one bit.....but it would prove that not all classic Mopar owners are intelligent and by their own doing choose to build complete and total pieces of **** that I absolutely will laugh at and definitely would not consider those types someone that I would associate with let's get that straight.

But to be fair.... some may WANT to drive their mopar, don't care about 60 ft times or 1/4 mile times, and want fuel mileage. I have cars that I like to drive and how "fast" they are is not much of a concern to me. I think the OP is on this page also...
Nobody said anything about fast but there are certain engines that belong in certain era cars and I don't give a **** what anybody on here thinks but a 2.5 or a 3.6 would look asinine in a muscle car era Mopar......PLENTY of other more logical, feasible and cheaper options like a slant 6, or a 273, 318, 340, 360.......I mean the whole I will build my car my way thing is fine to an extent but when you do things that are an embarrassment to real Mopars then I will say something every single time.

Wouldn't piss me off one bit.....but it would prove that not all classic Mopar owners are intelligent and by their own doing choose to build complete and total pieces of **** that I absolutely will laugh at and definitely would not consider those types someone that I would associate with let's get that straight.

you are already associating we us and if you decide to stop, you are totally out of my mind.

Nobody said anything about fast but there are certain engines that belong in certain era cars and I don't give a **** what anybody on here thinks but a 2.5 or a 3.6 would look asinine in a muscle car era Mopar......PLENTY of other more logical, feasible and cheaper options like a slant 6, or a 273, 318, 340, 360.......I mean the whole I will build my car my way thing is fine to an extent but when you do things that are an embarrassment to real Mopars then I will say something every single time.
The OP mentioned "4 cylinder" in his 1st post. I was answering him, not you. Go herniate someplace else. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back