Gas price going up // Rethinking the new project car

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP needs obvious guidance
And you are appointed his guide??? Not me. If he's considering 4 cylinders, then I suggest a 2.5 with a 5 speed from a Dakota. And I don't think it's a bad thing either. His car only has to please him, not you or me.

2.5 4 cyl and 5 speed from a Dakota should fit nicely in a A-body.
Make more sense to just drive the dakota then if your content with a POS driveline....why swap it out.......be junk no matter what platform it sits in

Make more sense to just drive the dakota then if your content with a POS driveline....why swap it out.......be junk no matter what platform it sits in
Ummm... you realize I'm not the OP, right? I'm not swapping anything, nor do I have a Dakota. If he want's to do it, no business of mine. I just gave him an alternative to fuel mileage that's a very feasible swap. He could even put a carb and intake from a earlier year. I've owned lots of 2.2/2.5's - mostly turbo's.

Ummm... you realize I'm not the OP, right? I'm not swapping anything, nor do I have a Dakota. If he want's to do it, no business of mine. I just gave him an alternative to fuel mileage that's a very feasible swap. He could even put a carb and intake from a earlier year. I've owned lots of 2.2/2.5's - mostly turbo's.
He specifically stated srt4 swap.....so that will be easy? cheap? I stand by my statement from the experience of doing multiple cars......KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID......put back in the car what was at least an option for the car and that will be a MAJOR HURDLE overcome......you guys with all your cobbled up crack pot ideas kill me......I am actually glad that I don't see more of some members cars as I would probably vomit.

Gas price exploded in canada since october , we pay 1.68 $ @ litre of gas ...i dont mind the duster and its gas consumption for fun summer days once in a while...but my new toy , 69 ratty valiant makes my mind go in all directions , goals are weird...* Have a ratty looking car with patina and old funny notlagia look ( 1970s -hippie style ) little lumpy cam , black steel wheels , light body and components but...i wanted a sleeper an ugly rocket ahahahah but with the prices so high im telling myself that maybe my stockish 360 with 350hp ( xe268 cam ) with a 904 reverse valve body ( 2 200 stall ) and highway gears could be the way . Theres the a833od that is still available too, but the car was born : 273 2bbl and 904 , i wanted to keep the look too , all kinds of ideas passed by with a 3.9 magnun v6 swap even a srt4 4cyl swap..but even then doing all the work and $$$ modification will be tricky , i tought about buying a cheap 318 and sleeve it for 273 pistons but even there it will be $$$$. So 360 / 904 /2.xx gears and 20 mpg ? With a 2 500 pound valiant ? Your toughts !
Build a mileage miser from the get to is the only way.
A long time ago, on Moparts, there was a fella that claimed 32 mpg out of his 318. High compression 302 headed with crazy highway gears, etc….

He specifically stated srt4 swap.....so that will be easy? cheap? I stand by my statement from the experience of doing multiple cars......KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID......put back in the car what was at least an option for the car and that will be a MAJOR HURDLE overcome......you guys with all your cobbled up crack pot ideas kill me......I am actually glad that I don't see more of some members cars as I would probably vomit.

are you really like this in real life or just behind the computer screen? Your disposition is ugly and rude.

Ok, I hope you get help. As for me, I'm not interested in your responses. Good luck and good bye.

are you really like this in real life or just behind the computer screen? Your disposition is ugly and rude.
Most people live in a fantasy land of fairytales, unicorns and rainbows and I instead choose cold hard reality and from reading some of the responses on here and also the build ideas I am also going to say that more of you should have been beaten as a child too.

Whooooaaa!!!
Bordering on the political! Bad juju.
Do you even have a clue as to what drive fuel prices ? Can you identify and define the various cabinet posts and who holds them in any of the last 6 administrations ? I doubt it ...
Do you know which president appointed the most millionairs to high level posts ? Does the US control fuel prices around the world ?

I have pondered an early Dart or Valiant with a slant 6 or 273/318 with a 833 OD as a daily driver . It would be fun to see how much MPG you could eeke out of it .
I just like to drive the old cars ... I have a Ram 1500 that I drive in the winter and a BMW Dual Sport that I ride in the summer . My Barracuda is my main passanger car and I will even drive it in the winter if the roads are clear . The Barracuda has around 390 hp but I rarely floor it . Probably use under 250 hp most of the time . So whats wrong with someone wanting to build a Mopar that gets great mileage but isnt a 10 second ride ?

I have pondered an early Dart or Valiant with a slant 6 or 273/318 with a 833 OD as a daily driver . It would be fun to see how much MPG you could eeke out of it .
I just like to drive the old cars ... I have a Ram 1500 that I drive in the winter and a BMW Dual Sport that I ride in the summer . My Barracuda is my main passanger car and I will even drive it in the winter if the roads are clear . The Barracuda has around 390 hp but I rarely floor it . Probably use under 250 hp most of the time . So whats wrong with someone wanting to build a Mopar that gets great mileage but isnt a 10 second ride ?
When we travel in our old mopars, I couldn't care less if they ran 7's or 17's. But, the better the gas mileage the better I like it! So, there is nothing wrong with somebody that wants to drive and old mopar and wants gas mileage, like the OP. And me. And you LOL

Nobody said that's wrong.......slant 6 or a 318 would be excellent choices but it's the dumb suggestions of putting something was a piece of **** to start with from a 90's and 2000's era crap into a classic Mopar

Guys....my duster s drivetrain was in a demon that ran 11.60 in the quarter mile ... i bought it back in october , i have the chance to have parts laying around to built a valiant that at the end will cost me zero dollars ( talking about the body and main parts ) if i wanted a rocket , yes it was my first idea but the more time goes , and already having the chance to have a nice duster , i can now have a nice 2 door solid 69 valiant , my 1st choice would be a cammed 3.9 v6 carburated , would be a very funny idea , a 273 would be super cool but very rare to find in my area , a 4.7 magnum is a fun and very cheap on gas v8 , love the 318 and im a huge 360-5.9 fan ...but a srt4 or small engine with mpg and power always make you think twice , all of my friends with 4 turbo bangers will destroy me on the hway and will have lots of fun and it will be cheap , im a big fan of carburated v8s... but im in canada and the price og gas and of stuff ( car hobbies ) are freakin high and parts are getting harder to find and they are not very cheap anymore neither is the machine shop fees ... so maybe i will put my new 360 in it ill see ...my goal is to have a very fun and cheap ratty patina car , take your price of us gallon and calculate that its around 6.30 or 7ishh for 4 litres...i dont give a damn what my 400hp duster drinks but im giving a damn what my next project will cost me yes , and its a valiant and they are unfortunately rejects in the mopar world , doesnt matter if you have a cuda or a roadrunner , just enjoy your car, i sold a very high muscle car project ( 71 cuda ) i was proud but believe it or not , i am more happy with a-bodies because they are plenty and cheap.... i dont have superbird or a hemicuda ...so who gives a damn what you put in your mopar , i dont like ls swaps i am more a brand to brand type of guys but are they crazy to do it ? absolutely not if they want super high hp cars for cheap.

Nobody said that's wrong.......slant 6 or a 318 would be excellent choices but it's the dumb suggestions of putting something was a piece of **** to start with from a 90's and 2000's era crap into a classic Mopar

Funny thing is that I watched a youtube video by David Visard just a few days ago on porting a 2.2 Turbo 2 head . It got me thinking about how someone could modify a Dakota 2.5 5sp powertrain in an early A-Body and use a turbo 3 Lotus head and larger turbo . You could probably ring out close to 300+ hp and still get good mpg.
Not to mention shaving 150 lbs off the front of the car .

Nothing! I said to build what you (the o.p.) want! Its just that I'M not gonna build a compromised for gas mileage car, cause that's not what I want.

@68cuda416 , piss on 1990 and 2000 era ???? , that gave you the 380hp 360 crate engine ...bring me whatever stock 340 aar t/a ;purple shaft ;small block and i will kicks your *** all day long , im a a young gun who s in the mopar game since 2001..but for the price of a 5.2 and 5.9( bang for the buck ) , no stock 340 or la360 can compete with it , and my crate 360 magnum is disguised as a orange 340 , you can hardly see that its a 1992 + roller small block , im not a fan of technology , newer engines and all but i wont piss on them.

Last edited:
When we travel in our old mopars, I couldn't care less if they ran 7's or 17's. But, the better the gas mileage the better I like it! So, there is nothing wrong with somebody that wants to drive and old mopar and wants gas mileage, like the OP. And me. And you LOL
This is where you and I differ, I never cared about mileage, still don't.
a dollar a mile is ok with me, I'm not spending $ 200 a weekend like I did pulling the kids on tubes and skis. lol

Funny thing is that I watched a youtube video by David Visard just a few days ago on porting a 2.2 Turbo 2 head . It got me thinking about how someone could modify a Dakota 2.5 5sp powertrain in an early A-Body and use a turbo 3 Lotus head and larger turbo . You could probably ring out close to 300+ hp and still get good mpg.
Not to mention shaving 150 lbs off the front of the car .
I use to play games with the K-cars with turbos. Back in that day, wow were they quick, and good on gas. AND, the turbo blocks are rock tough! At that time, it was the absolute cheapest, easiest way to beat fox body 5.0's and iroc-Z 350 tpi's. I literally would drop a 1/2 second for a 3 dollar part at the pet store.

This is where you and I differ, I never cared about mileage, still don't.
a dollar a mile is ok with me, I'm not spending $ 200 a weekend like I did pulling the kids on tubes and skis. lol
Do you go anywhere, though ??? LOL ... no seriously! :poke:

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back