gas tank filler neck issues

-

voodoospeed

Reaction score
I am working on a 71 demon that came to me in boxes. so far things are coming together, but noticed that my filler neck for the gas tank is different than others. Instead of having a mounting flange with 4 traditional holes in it, it has 3. and they are not screw holes, but more like notches. do I install the neck through the body first then into the tank mounting it from the outside of the trunk, or install it from the inside of the trunk? My 67' dart mounts from the inside and has 4 mounting holes. Any help would be appreciated.

How many holes are in the quarter panel for the screws? If there's 3 holes there, you could use a Tinnerman clip (J clip) on the filler tube and then install the tube fron the trunk side. The clips will give the screws something to thread into. I don't know how it was originall set up from the factory, but it may show it in the service manual.

George

I have a 1972 demon and look my goes in the fender first then in the gas tank . And it has 3 screws holding it on

That is where I got confused. In the quarter panel there are five holes. It is if it was a multi fit option. I have only seen the filler necks mounted from the back side using the 4 screws. If I do mount the filler neck first by putting it through the body, I would like to be correct on what I use to fasten it on the back side. Such as the J clips that were mentioned. I do appreciate the input. If there is a pic out there for what the flange looks like from the inside of the trunk, a pic is worth a thousand words.

Sounds like a previous owner added the extra two screw holes. On my 73 sport it uses three phillips head sheet metal screws that thread into the quarter panel recess. There is a thin white closed cell foam gasket that goes between the filler tube and the fender recess. The tube itself is inserted thru the quarter from outside, through the floor gasket, and then into the gas tank. I would be very surprised if yours in different originally than mine. Very little changed year to year on these cars.

A bit of advice. Mount it through the fender hole which will keep the gascap away from the painted quarter panel. I finally found and had painted a correct 71 cap and the first time I mounted it it tore into the paint

Just like 66dartgt described. Here is a pic of the backside of my '72 Duster. You can see two sheet metal screws, and also additional holes in the body. I figured that maybe they used a couple different suppliers of the filler tube, and to make the cap line up correctly outside one tube was mounted diffferently?
In any event, 66 talked you through it.
C

Aug29,2007 023.jpg

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me with this. 66dart is right not a lot changed from year to year. I was also worried about what Paul said about scratching the paint if I installed the filler tube the wrong way. Thank you Cihyer for the pics, the pic is perfect. I will install it through the fender first. Thanks again.:cheers:

Voodoo, I see that you are new here; welcome aboard. You will find a lot of good & helpful folks here. Me, I don't profess to know much - but I have a notebook full of pics I took when I tore my cars down. Now I am in the learning stages as I get into reassembly.
C

-
Back