Gas Tank Straps Question

-

KP

Reaction score
Can Anyone Tell Me How Tight Gas Tank Straps Should Be Made.

Are These Formed So That You Draw Them To The End Of The Strap Bolt?

Thanks!

I wouldn't draw them all the way! You'll crush the tank. I tighened mine until they were nice and snug, then I hit it with *maybe* 2-3 turns more.

I also placed a piece of FatMat across the top of the tank to insulate the metal-to-metal contact to prevent gouging or scoring.

Barracuda499-vi.jpg

I cut slices in it and laid it down over the depression.
Barracuda500-vi.jpg

Then I snugged it all securely. The only thing I wish I did (and still might do...) is lay a piece of rubber onto the straps before installing them.
Barracuda517-vi.jpg

Hope this helps!

Just snug it up a little bit, not too tight. If the straps and/or tank is new snug them up again after driving it some.

ShrunkFinishedUnder1.jpg

<DAMN!> Your picture reminds me of step #1.

CLEAN & DETAIL MY REAR AXLE!!!!

Your undercarriage looks nice 340S... Makes me want to go lay on my back today and scrub... 8)

Some nice looking tanks there,and i just snugged mine up also..did you guys clear-coat your tanks before putting them in place,i did mine 2+ years ago and it still looks great...

Nah... no clear coat here. The paint I used is sold by Krylon and it's marketed as outdoor patio furniture paint. It's designed to stand-up against the elements. It's also a hammer-tone effect that looks rather nice.

I just got back from the house where I store the car and DAMN... it's a cold, damn, crappy day out here in New York. I gathered up some stuff I can do at work and I'll try again later in the week.

I wouldn't draw them all the way! You'll crush the tank. I tighened mine until they were nice and snug, then I hit it with *maybe* 2-3 turns more.

I also placed a piece of FatMat across the top of the tank to insulate the metal-to-metal contact to prevent gouging or scoring.

I cut slices in it and laid it down over the depression.

Then I snugged it all securely. The only thing I wish I did (and still might do...) is lay a piece of rubber onto the straps before installing them.

Hope this helps!

John you could use bicycle inner tube to do this! Also is that an after market gas tank or did you modify it yourself?

John you could use bicycle inner tube to do this! Also is that an after market gas tank or did you modify it yourself?

The tank I picked up on e-Bay a while ago. I don't remember from who... They are on there often, so it's not hard to find. The sump is from JEGS and that was about $60. THEN another $75 to have it professionally installed by a trusted radiator shop out here on Long Island. I finished it off with a few coats of Krylon hammer-tone spray paint. The paint gives the "hammered" effect when applied. It's sold as paint for outdoor metal furniture (so it *should* hold up well) and cost about $6-7 for a can big enough to do the tank and more....

Thanks for the bicycle inner tube suggestion. Good idea!

The tank I picked up on e-Bay a while ago. I don't remember from who... They are on there often, so it's not hard to find. The sump is from JEGS and that was about $60. THEN another $75 to have it professionally installed by a trusted radiator shop out here on Long Island. I finished it off with a few coats of Krylon hammer-tone spray paint. The paint gives the "hammered" effect when applied. It's sold as paint for outdoor metal furniture (so it *should* hold up well) and cost about $6-7 for a can big enough to do the tank and more....

Thanks for the bicycle inner tube suggestion. Good idea!

So how does that work? Does that replace the float system that normally goe in from the top of the tank? If so how do you hook up your gas gauge? Also it looks like the gas come out of the the back of the tank, if you had low tank and hit the brakes does it effect the fuel flow?

You want to have a constant supply of fuel under hard accelleration, such as when you launch at the strip. Before the sump is soldered to the tank you drill several large holes throught the bottom of the tank to fill the sump portion. That's why there's a fuel feed line coming off of the sump. It then feeds to a quality filter, then to the electric pump. I'm installing a second filter in the engine compartment just before my carbs. I'll plug the fuel outlet on my stock sending unit and hook up the wire for the stock fuel gauge. The only modification you'll make to the stock sending unit is to provide a seperate ground from the sending unit to the frame. The stock set-up uses that clip which connects the sender to the fuel line, which is connected to the frame, which in my opinion, is a poor design to start with. Too many places for a bad connection, and a faulty fuel gauge reading. The second outlet on the sump is if you use a return line sysem, or a seperate supply for Nitrous. I just capped mine closed. It also gives you an easy way to drain the tank if need be.
Barracuda519-vi.jpg

You want to have a constant supply of fuel under hard accelleration, such as when you launch at the strip. Before the sump is soldered to the tank you drill several large holes throught the bottom of the tank to fill the sump portion. That's why there's a fuel feed line coming off of the sump. It then feeds to a quality filter, then to the electric pump. I'm installing a second filter in the engine compartment just before my carbs. I'll plug the fuel outlet on my stock sending unit and hook up the wire for the stock fuel gauge. The only modification you'll make to the stock sending unit is to provide a seperate ground from the sending unit to the frame. The stock set-up uses that clip which connects the sender to the fuel line, which is connected to the frame, which in my opinion, is a poor design to start with. Too many places for a bad connection, and a faulty fuel gauge reading. The second outlet on the sump is if you use a return line sysem, or a seperate supply for Nitrous. I just capped mine closed. It also gives you an easy way to drain the tank if need be.

I might look into this system for my own car. Gas tank is one of the projects I wanted to do this summer. Mine is all crushed up on the bottom like one of the previous owners bottomed out the car hard or something. Not really sure though cause if someone did bottom out the car I would think there would have been damage to so many other things first. I have owned the car about 7 years now and driving it the whole time and the gas guage doesn't work so its about time I get to this project. Everything I have done so far has been street and strip in mine. I been kind of worried that my only option for a decent fuel storage has been putting a fuel cell into the trunk. Which I believe in my state is techinically not street legal, even though many people run that way anyways. I think I like this settup better as it keep me legal and I have a trunk still to throw my golf clubs or picnic chairs into.

While I'm assembling my car I went over-kill on a few things becasue I might get crazy later on and I didn't want to replace stuff I replaced already. For example, the sump has 1/2" openings (-8 AN) where I could have gone with 3/8" (-6 AN) which is what the rest of my system is plumbed as.

I figured what the hell... 8)

While I'm assembling my car I went over-kill on a few things becasue I might get crazy later on and I didn't want to replace stuff I replaced already. For example, the sump has 1/2" openings (-8 AN) where I could have gone with 3/8" (-6 AN) which is what the rest of my system is plumbed as.

I figured what the hell... 8)

Yea I have done a lot over overkill upgrades as well but I pretty much said the same thing.

I am getting ready to put the new tank in my car and i am going to use the Plasti-Dip on my straps to coat them. If your not familiar with Plasti-Dip it is what they use to coat handles of tools it like a rubber coating .You can get it at most hardware stores and it comes in a few colors.

And after seeing your tank FASTBACK340 i WILL be hammeriteing my tank looks awesome.

I have a used A-Body tank for sale for $50 if anyone is interested? Just needs cleaning up...

-
Back