Gas tank

-

limegreen70

Pokorny Enterprise's
Reaction score
Hope this isn't a naive question but I am in the market for a new gas tank. I see they are made by, what seems to be a ton of different company's. Is there a preferred source for them? Or don't it really matter. I'd just hate to by some piece of crap one and have it not fit for ****. I don't really trust many company's anymore.

Hope this isn't a naive question but I am in the market for a new gas tank. I see they are made by, what seems to be a ton of different company's. Is there a preferred source for them? Or don't it really matter. I'd just hate to by some piece of crap one and have it not fit for ****. I don't really trust many company's anymore.
I got one from Classic Industries for my 73 Duster and the fit was perfect. Price was lower than I expected and the quality seems fine for a non-resto build.

That should be this tank.... I put a Spectra in my 62 and it is perfect.. i believe they are made in canada also.. which is good

P.S. That's the non emission model. they have it with emission crap also.

I believe TANKS inc. makes them in both factory type nitrate steel & stainless steel, if you want to pay the extra cash for stainless. Used them twice & fit & finish was excellent. Your main problem is going to have to find a good sending unit/lock ring assembly that's not junk, if you can't re-use the factory one.

I believe TANKS inc. makes them in both factory type nitrate steel & stainless steel, if you want to pay the extra cash for stainless. Used them twice & fit & finish was excellent. Your main problem is going to have to find a good sending unit/lock ring assembly that's not junk, if you can't re-use the factory one.
I am going to try to re use the old one but I see Detroit Muscle Technology's makes a correct Gasket and lock ring. I heard nothing but good things about them.

@halifaxhops Sell OEM unused lock rings pretty cheaply.. get one.. the aftermarket ones do suck...

I am going to try to re use the old one but I see Detroit Muscle Technology's makes a correct Gasket and lock ring. I heard nothing but good things about them.
Detroit muscle also sells the pad that goes between the tank and body...

I have used DMT before & was very happy with their quality & service.
I will be using them again.
Still working on the Duster a little at a time Zack.

When i was researching mine i read a ton of reviews and got a lot of opinions and most people i talked to said get spectra.. They are made in canada, the price is great and their quality is damn good.. although i can only speak for mine.

Spectra is a good quality tank. Made in Canada. A word of advice though. DO NOT have the tank coated, as they are already electro plated on the inside. Nothing will stick. I found out the hard way.

There is no reason not to use the original lock ring (nobody will ever see it), but you will need a new gasket.

There is no reason not to use the original lock ring (nobody will ever see it), but you will need a new gasket
I missed your double negative! :lol:
I thought you were saying there is no reason TO use the OEM lock ring!

The OEM lock ring is thicker.

It does a better job sealing.
0.020" makes a difference.

The after market gaskets are also thinner. I had to double up the gaskets to seal on my own 67 dart tank.

Screenshot_20230404-162828.png

Last edited:
Liland makes them in stainless steel for about 2x the price of a regular one. They're on Rock Auto. More Information for LILAND GLOBAL ICR11ESS
I reached out to Liland. Both the stainless and carbon steel version of these tanks are made in Taiwan (which is fine in my book) but they are also currently looking for US-based manufacturing for them.

I reached out to Liland. Both the stainless and carbon steel version of these tanks are made in Taiwan (which is fine in my book) but they are also currently looking for US-based manufacturing for them.

I wasn't aware of the origin, but I coughed up the $$ for stainless out of caution because of ethanol/water in gas these days. What I can say is that it was a quality part and was an easy fit/install. Stainless seems excellent quality. I'm running it bare on my daily driver and it looks nice and shiny under there.

I wasn't aware of the origin, but I coughed up the $$ for stainless out of caution because of ethanol/water in gas these days. What I can say is that it was a quality part and was an easy fit/install. Stainless seems excellent quality. I'm running it bare on my daily driver and it looks nice and shiny under there.

Don't get me wrong. I'll take stainless any day and I'm grateful for being made aware of the option (OEM tanks were Niterne coated, whatever the hell that is), and I'm also less than happy about Taiwan and more than happy it's not CHINA.

That spectra tank will be the one for.me. car was built in Canada, only right to use a tank made there. Thank you everyone for the comments.

I want to give an update on the Spectra tank. When I last commented I had already taken the tank out of the box and inspected everything but had not installed it yet, I finally had a chance to lift it up into the back of my dart and found only one fitment issue. the flange that sits next to the shock should have been bent up and it was not causing a little bit of rubbing. This didn't affect installation but I know it's going to squeak and rattle while driving. I just put a crescent wrench to it and it folded up nicely. I would recommend going this outside the car and it should only take a minute or two. Start by folding down the upward corner on the side to make it flat, then fold it back up so that it's parallel to the axle then work your way down the edge to make it even. I didn't feel like pulling my tank back out so I just beat the last section up with a punch, it's my car and I just want some clearance and not to win shows. I included a picture of my original tank to show how the factory folded theirs.

P.S. I'm prepping a 8.75 to drop into the car and at that time I'm getting new shocks to replace these old ones.

20230414_083615.jpg

20230414_083532.jpg

20230414_083523.jpg

20230414_083637.jpg

20230414_083921.jpg

20230414_083935.jpg

20230414_085147.jpg

I would like to add, that this issue was only present on the driver side of the car, the passenger side has proper clearances.

Last edited:
I want to give an update on the Spectra tank. When I last commented I had already taken the tank out of the box and inspected everything but had not installed it yet, I finally had a chance to lift it up into the back of my dart and found only one fitment issue. the flange that sits next to the shock should have been bent up and it was not causing a little bit of rubbing. This didn't affect installation but I know it's going to squeak and rattle while driving. I just put a crescent wrench to it and it folded up nicely. I would recommend going this outside the car and it should only take a minute or two. Start by folding down the upward corner on the side to make it flat, then fold it back up so that it's parallel to the axle then work your way down the edge to make it even. I didn't feel like pulling my tank back out so I just beat the last section up with a punch, it's my car and I just want some clearance and not to win shows. I included a picture of my original tank to show how the factory folded theirs.

P.S. I'm prepping a 8.75 to drop into the car and at that time I'm getting new shocks to replace these old ones.

View attachment 1716077619

View attachment 1716077620

View attachment 1716077621

View attachment 1716077622

View attachment 1716077623

View attachment 1716077624

View attachment 1716077625

I would like to add, that this issue was only present on the driver side of the car, the passenger side has proper clearances.
I’ve done 3 tanks now on A Bodies and I had to do this same modification to all 3. I scraped a bunch of paint off my drivers side shock while I figured out what was making the scraping noise on big bumps.

I would like to add, that this issue was only present on the driver side of the car, the passenger side has proper clearances
Out of courosity...

Are you putting a 18 gal tank in a 16 gallon tank car?

Personal observation.. I would keep any wrenches outside the weld. A hammer and dolly might be a better choice.

-
Back