Gasket sealer recommendations for Intake, pan, and timing chain cover (360)

-

Litz

Reaction score
What do you guys suggest that I use for a gasket sealer? Doing a cam upgrade and also replacing the oil pan. Should I use the Felpro cork gaskets on the ends of the intake or is there a better way? Also should the intake gaskets be put on dry or should some type of gasket cement be used? And lastly is there a 1 pc. oil pan gasket available for a 360 LA engine? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I eliminate the intake manifold end gaskets and use a bead of RTV sufficient enough to fill the space and squeeze out a little. I've had much better luck doing that than using end gaskets on every engine I build. You didn't say what intake gaskets your using so it's hard to say whether or not to seal them. Many gaskets are self sealing while others are not. Most have instructions with them and if they don't look them up on the mfg website and you should find your answer there. For the oil pan I do not know of a 1 piece gasket for the LA. Some guys say the one for the Magnum will work but it won't without adding a ton of RTV in each front corner to fill in a large void where they differ. Personally I like the proof gaskets and use A shellac type sealer on them (Fel-pro blue, Indian head, etc) and RTV Ultra black on the rubber end seals. Anywhere you use RTV sealer install the part and just snug the bolts up till you see the sealer starting to ooze out and leave it set for at least 12 hrs till it cures and go back and torque the bolts down to spec

I have never heard of a one piece oil pan gasket for the LA engines. But as to the intake gaskets, I have built engines for 43 years, I do not like RTV for the end pieces. I have always used and prefer the actual cork gaskets for this location, the gaskets should be placed dry, use a little sealer in the corners only, torque to specs. I have done this for years and never had a leak of any kind. Same applies to the oil pan. For your water surfaces (water pump, timing cover ) I use Permatex Form a gasket stage 2 non-Harding, it expands and contracts with temperature to maintain seal. Have fun!

Throw the intake end gaskets in the trash..use the GRAY "right stuff"...a nice 1/4" bead on both ends should seal it..also put a bead around the water jackets on the heads and all four corners where the intake meets the heads,all the other gaskets I like to put a light bead on and smooth it out,assemble..

My voodoo.........
Intake end gaskets, Permatex orange RTV, oil pan gaskets, Permatex Aviation gasket sealer and a small bead of orange rtv in the corners

I always match the color of the RTV to the color that I painted the engine...

I eliminate the intake manifold end gaskets and use a bead of RTV sufficient enough to fill the space and squeeze out a little. I've had much better luck doing that than using end gaskets on every engine I build. You didn't say what intake gaskets your using so it's hard to say whether or not to seal them. Many gaskets are self sealing while others are not. Most have instructions with them and if they don't look them up on the mfg website and you should find your answer there. For the oil pan I do not know of a 1 piece gasket for the LA. Some guys say the one for the Magnum will work but it won't without adding a ton of RTV in each front corner to fill in a large void where they differ. Personally I like the proof gaskets and use A shellac type sealer on them (Fel-pro blue, Indian head, etc) and RTV Ultra black on the rubber end seals. Anywhere you use RTV sealer install the part and just snug the bolts up till you see the sealer starting to ooze out and leave it set for at least 12 hrs till it cures and go back and torque the bolts down to spec
The intake gasgets are felpro.

OK there are 2 different sets of intake manifold gasgets in the felpro gasget set. one set is steel and the other set is blue composite, I'm assuming I should use the blue gasgets and also assume that I don't need to use a gasget sealer with the blue gasgets with the exception of the corners. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Don't know what I'd do without the advice I get from all of you guys. It's MUCH appreciated.

OK there are 2 different sets of intake manifold gasgets in the felpro gasget set. one set is steel and the other set is blue composite, I'm assuming I should use the blue gasgets and also assume that I don't need to use a gasget sealer with the blue gasgets with the exception of the corners. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Don't know what I'd do without the advice I get from all of you guys. It's MUCH appreciated.
Yes the blue ones and yes to rtv in the corners. Some guys say they use sealer around the water ports but I have never in 35 yrs of using them and never had a water leak. I also use high temp pipe sealer on the bolts to prevent any water or oil wicking through the threads. You can get that at NAPA and maybe other parts outlets

As much of a proponent I am of sealers, I try to use them only in necessary places. Usually, gaskets are not meant to be used with sealers. Only where they meet rubber, as in the case of the corners on the oil pan.

Also, I do use sealer on water pump and intake gaskets, but only around water ports and not on the entire gasket. Using too much sealer on a gasket will usually result in the gasket squirming out of place and causing a leak.

-
Back