Gates PowerGrip SB Clamps??

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of or used Gates PowerGrip SB hose clamps? My friend has them on his Ford (gasp!) and swears by them. They were developed for over the road trucks but come in sizes that would fit our A bodies. They remove the ugly worm gear clamps but have other benefits as seen in the following video. The price is not prohibitive either, about $6 each at O'reilly. The ugly green part number comes off easily with brake clean and they are easily installed with a heat gun or blow drier. Watch the video and let me know what you think?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH1po8kP9c8"]Gates PowerGrip SB Clamps & Blue Stripe® Coolant Hose - YouTube[/ame]

1C1802D6-FAFC-4C77-B856-19CD9F043451_zpsi6fxrx7v.jpg.html

Yeah. I posted about them not long ago. Told all about how we sell um at Oreilly. Got ignored as usual.

Better carry spares when you travel. If you have an issue, you're not re-using those in a road-side repair.

Yeah. I posted about them not long ago. Told all about how we sell um at Oreilly. Got ignored as usual.
What?
Did somebody say something? :D

I saw and investigated that when you posted about it, but I would have the same concerns as the guy down there. ↓

Better carry spares when you travel. If you have an issue, you're not re-using those in a road-side repair.

How would remove them with out cutting into your hoses ??? like the idea of them though,would give the engine bay a neater look.
Rusty thats the norm isn't it !

They are removed by carefully cutting them with a razor knife.

Sorry Rusty, I must have missed that post. I was looking at ways to clean up my engine compartment when my friend showed me these. I thought they were pretty cool and decided to share.

Yes, they are a one time use product, but I'm running Evans Waterless coolant (very low psi) and don't plan on ever replacing a blown hose. Even if I did blow a hose out on the road, I'd just buy two clamps when I was buying a new hose? Do you carry extra radiator hoses with you?

Sorry Rusty, I must have missed that post. I was looking at ways to clean up my engine compartment when my friend showed me these. I thought they were pretty cool and decided to share.

Yes, they are a one time use product, but I'm running Evans Waterless coolant (very low psi) and don't plan on ever replacing a blown hose. Even if I did blow a hose out on the road, I'd just buy two clamps when I was buying a new hose? Do you carry extra radiator hoses with you?

high priced, no re-use, not for me. roll the clamp worm gear down underneath the hose, out of sight and go w/ it.

I've got em on my car, been there for years. I also keep my hoses fresh and a few worm gear clamps in the tool box just in case.

Jeff

Jeff gets it. Might not be for everybody, but I thought some people might like them.

Thanks BrianT, I think they look a whole lot cleaner than any other clamp no matter what you do to them. Its also something when people look at my motor they kinda take a double take and ask me, Whats up with them clamps and like them a lot.

Jeff

I just used a few of those on my truck. Glad to see they are available at O'Reillys because I also mail ordered a couple in the wrong size. They are pretty slick- when you shrink them in place they harden up when cool.

A question for those who have used them- What and where is the indicator? Mine came with no instructions and I have read there is an indicator that lets you know when they have been completely shrunk. I did not stumble upon this tidbit until after I installed mine...

Jeff gets it. Might not be for everybody, but I thought some people might like them.

No doubt, they are super clean looking. And perform excellent.

Saw them on a few high end hot rods at a show yesterday.

Just wish they weren't so darn expensive. Maybe O'reily's is more reasonable than the Hot Rod shop I saw them in a few years ago?? I compromised (cheaped out) and went with Aba clamps. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...qmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7xuvg28md3_e

Just read your post more thoroughly. At $6 each, that's not so bad. When I was looking at them they were a lot more, but can't remember the exact price.

Amazon has them for that and they are marked down from $32. Wonder if these have gone down a bunch recently?

The 2" ID clamp goes for $6.29 at Oreillys.

I had them on my LS# motor in my coupe for several years now, they don't leak and seem to clamp just fine.

That tech video highlighted some good points about clamps I hadn't considered. I'll be robbing a bunch of constant tension clamps next time I'm at the salvage yard.

I don't dislike the heat shrink clamps. I just drive old junk doo I have to consider the highly probable situation that I'll have to work on it on the side of the road.

-
Back