Gauge bezel restoration or replacement?

-

kdbunn

Reaction score
Mulling the idea of having my gauge bezel either restored or just replace it. Saw lots of feedback on other threads

Gauge bezel.jpg
about the replacement bezels not fitting well, especially the placement of the switch holes. And yet, some guys are happy with their purchase. I looked up links in old threads about restoration places but they are out of date and I'm guessing the quality would all depend on where you send it. Any thoughts?

Depends on what "level" you want to take it too. I know Gcar has done some nice work for people here if you want to send it in. $$$
PG/BEA repop will be approx $800 if not more with lenses and center pods.
You can do a good restore yourself, but the chrome never comes out really nice.

Mulling the idea of having my gauge bezel either restored or just replace it. Saw lots of feedback on other threads

View attachment 1716035124about the replacement bezels not fitting well, especially the placement of the switch holes. And yet, some guys are happy with their purchase. I looked up links in old threads about restoration places but they are out of date and I'm guessing the quality would all depend on where you send it. Any thoughts?
Like Steve said, it will likely cost quite a bit to have it restored. I sent mine in a few years ago to a place I found on Ebay, and they did an amazing job for about $500. However, about 15 years before that i did it myself, and it looked pretty darn good. Krylon Satin Black for the black parts, a rattle can of chrome paint from Hobby Lobby, and a silver paint that I dulled down with some satin clear. It will take a lot of sanding and masking and patience, but the results will be very good. The chrome paint will not look like chrome, but it looks pretty good. Is that an F8 green Barracuda door?

Like Steve said, it will likely cost quite a bit to have it restored. I sent mine in a few years ago to a place I found on Ebay, and they did an amazing job for about $500. However, about 15 years before that i did it myself, and it looked pretty darn good. Krylon Satin Black for the black parts, a rattle can of chrome paint from Hobby Lobby, and a silver paint that I dulled down with some satin clear. It will take a lot of sanding and masking and patience, but the results will be very good. The chrome paint will not look like chrome, but it looks pretty good. Is that an F8 green Barracuda door?
Yup. F5 on the outside. F8 on the inside.

Depends on what "level" you want to take it too. I know Gcar has done some nice work for people here if you want to send it in. $$$
PG/BEA repop will be approx $800 if not more with lenses and center pods.
You can do a good restore yourself, but the chrome never comes out really nice.
Yes i'm thinking I want to do the chrome right. And I know either way will mean $$$. Who is Gcar? Can't seem to find it.

There’s a guy on FBBO he does a fantastic job, I don’t know if he just does B bodies only. I’ll find his information.

This guy does some nice work. He's on FB.

Jerry's Plastic Repair & Restoration​

Intro​

Repair Service for Vintage Classic Car Plastic Parts, Primarily Grills.

Good morning, heres another option, I used vacuum ornametal for my Duster ralley bezel and Mr.Heaterbox for the gauges .... all came out very nice...good luck with your project...Rich

Looking at both the repair and replace options, it looks like $1000CAD+ either way. Maybe i'm ignorant of how much work is involved or maybe i'm just cheap but when I think of how much work I do for $1000 it makes me think these things are WAY overpriced. No wonder so many guys go the DIY route.:soapbox:

Looking at both the repair and replace options, it looks like $1000CAD+ either way. Maybe i'm ignorant of how much work is involved or maybe i'm just cheap but when I think of how much work I do for $1000 it makes me think these things are WAY overpriced. No wonder so many guys go the DIY route.:soapbox:
I'm totally with you on saving money. I think the real challenge is the chrome and for that I have looked into but have not yet dabbled with Hydro Dipping Film. They have a chrome film that would be worth looking into and I think a person could do it themselves at home for pretty cheap. I'm not sure how you would mask off the non-chrome areas but I'm sure it is not hard.
For matte silver I have used a matte clear over aluminum paint on the silver on my 71 demon grill and it totally came out like original...like not even the same color with the matte clear on it. Good luck.

Last edited:
I hear ya, the link I posted above was when I did my 69 cuda dash. At that time $1k was better spent elsewhere.
'm in Ontario approx 2.5 hours west of Mr Heaterbox if I can help out?

I hear ya, the link I posted above was when I did my 69 cuda dash. At that time $1k was better spent elsewhere.
'm in Ontario approx 2.5 hours west of Mr Heaterbox if I can help out?
That's so awesome of you to offer. I am going to have to ponder this a bit. Not sure where I am going with this yet. I'm with you on spending the $1000 somewhere else right now. What with the suspension and engine, I still have lots of $$ to dole out.

I replaced my with the re-pop. It fit nice and you just can't imagine what a difference it makes. It was really worth it.

-
Back