Gauges and cluster light only work with lights on?!

-
Unless both of us are somehow missing something here it is starting to look like the gauge has a problem. Are you for certain getting 12V into the input side of the regulator?

It should not be dropping to 4V

Unless both of us are somehow missing something here it is starting to look like the gauge has a problem. Are you for certain getting 12V into the input side of the regulator?

It should not be dropping to 4V

Ok, so measured and input side of regulator is showing 11v. Not 12v. Even plugged in the battery tender thinking i ran down the battery with all the testing.....re-measured, same outcome....and yet, the other studs (temp & alt) are getting 4.9v. I'm at a loss. This thing is on its own agenda.

4.9 sounds OK.

About the only other thing I'd question is your meter accuracy. I've met with casual friends who had those. One was way off on AC volts. That might be worth a try.

The lower voltage reported in the prior posts are supposedly measured at the sender, and would make sense for it to be 4v when the sender is in the middle position and 1.9v when the sender is at the full position. There is resistance in the guage movement winding that will drop more and more voltage through it as the sender resistance decreases (moves towards full). (My old FSM says these are thermal guages so they indeed have resistance in them...as Redfish explained.)

I would encrouage the owner to look into a new guage at this point.

Thank you both for your help and insight. If anything, I have learned a whole heck of a lot! Now to search for a newer or NOS fuel gauge.

-
Back