G'day from Adelaide, Sth Australia '70 Valiant VG ('69 Dart)

-

dutchie16

Reaction score
G'day Everyone,
Thought I'd finally introduce myself, been lurking on the site for a while. I'm new to the whole forum thing, previously haven't had much time to spend in front of the computer.
Anyway, my ride consists of '70 Valiant VG 2 door hardtop, sans roof, due to atmos appetite.
Orig car was my grandfathers car from new, was a lazy 318 with 904 trans, LSD. odd combo but the old fella lived on a rural property & it was his Sunday car. 37 years later, deceased estate, nobody else in the family wanted the car, so i put my hand up, giving it a new lease of life over the last couple of years.
Now running a clean 318, mild cam, 390 Holley, 904 trans & LSD, now its my family cruiser.
Looking to finish the car as a Dart convertible replica.

After seeing a lot of the members rides on here, big shout out to you all, great machines, good to see i'm not the only shed hermit tinkering away in life.

Apologies in advance for any bad forum etiquette, being new to this, i'm still working it out &
I hope my Aussie talk doesn't become annoying, well, too bad if it does.

Cheers, Mark

Welcome aboard Mark! Many of your countrymen are here!!!! Your in good hands.
The Aussie “Lingo” is relatively understood well here. Because good lord, there’s a bunch of you guys here from that section of the world!!! LMAO (Laughing My *** Off)

BE yourself and try and type what you mean, not what you speak. LMAO yet again. I had a bit of a time adjusting my New York lingo to a more main stream line of communication.
(Ahhh, forgeddaboutit!)

Post up some pictures of you can!

Rob

Thanks Rob, cheers for that, i'll have to keep an eye out for the Aussie lads.
Geez i just noticed your time clock, you're burning the midnight oil.
Here's a pic the VG in original state & some during resto pics as well. Hope they come thru ok.

orig vg 1.jpg

Thanks Rob, cheers for that, i'll have to keep an eye out for the Aussie lads.
Geez i just noticed your time clock, you're burning the midnight oil.
Here's a pic the VG in original state & some during resto pics as well. Hope they come thru ok.

View attachment 1715115295
gday mate. welcome and plug on. I think most americans like the way aussies talk>" crocodile Dundee movies ."

\If someone does this ^^^^^^^^^^^^
It means that the post just above mine is what I'm talking about.
For example.
If I said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"That's not a welcome. This is a welcome."
And I posted what is below.
I would be trying to make a Crocodile Dundee joke about famous bob's reference to Paul Hogan.

Your signature is funny.
There are a bunch of scared, weird folks here.
:welcome:

Last edited:
Ha ha ha, well Mark, I normally work the graveyard shift until 8:30am. So, even on days off......

gday mate. welcome and plug on. I think most americans like the way aussies talk>" crocodile Dundee movies ."
I’ll second that. On my phone, the GPS app for traveling, I opted for a female Aussie voice to verbalize directions.

Hey Mark, welcome to FABO. Love those Aussie cars! Yours looks like a great place to start. toolmanmike

Cheers guys, thanks for the welcome and the tips.
I noticed that some of the resto pics didnt go thru last time, f*#n lousy Aussie internet service, anyway i've attached acouple more. I'll put more up on the Restoration Forum thread.
RF360, warning on the Aussie female voice, once they start, they dont shut up.

val chassis rails1.jpg

flr pan.jpg

coupe underspray1.jpg

\If someone does this ^^^^^^^^^^^^
It means that the post just above mine is what I'm talking about.
For example.
If I said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"That's not a welcome. This is a welcome."
And I posted what is below.
I would be trying to make a Crocodile Dundee joke about famous bob's reference to Paul Hogan.

Your signature is funny.
There are a bunch of scared, weird folks here.
:welcome:

---------what ?!

G'day Mark,
I'm from the Aus as well. Originally from Port Adelaide that's why I go for the same AFL club as you. You must be a top bloke. I now live in Albury/Wodonga. Do you ever come over for the "Chryslers on the Murray"?
Been a forum member here for about 2 years now. Good site. Some fellow aussies here which is good.
Got a mate in Ballarat here in Vic who's got shitloads of Val stuff. Just let me know if you can't find anything you need & I'll pass you on his details and just remember "Mopar - You're either with us or behind us".
Cheers,
Glenn.
P.S Here's a pic of me cruising up the Hume Hwy near Albury in my 71 Dodge Demon 340. Photo was taken by a pro & used in the
'Just Cars" mag for Jan this years edition.

1unspecified.jpg

Are there any restrictions on imports? Do you have to make modifications to the car to be legal for highway use?

Gday GTX, thanks, btw rippin GTX you have there, nice moonshine runner.

Gday Glenn, great to hear from another supporter of the great Alberton club, (lets hope we can have a great 2018 & get a chance at the Big Dance real soon). Hats off to you on your machine, mate thats a ripper, dont see many Demons in Aus. Yours is an absolute classic beauty. Thanks for the heads up on the contact for the Val stuff, i get most of my stuff thru hunting around locally, there's a fairly good following & stock of Valiant/Chrysler in SA. I've got most of it sorted now, just after a couple Dart convertible items if I can.

Gday to you John, thanks for tip, good to see that you follow the real footy code in Aus. Which club do you support?

Gday RF360, in Aus it varies state to state, in SA left hand drive cars older than 30 years, no conversion req'd.
If its younger than 30 years, 2 options:
1. as is LHD, but registered as club permit (restricted use) or as private import for 12 mths (can't resell it though until converted to RHD)
2. privately convert it to RHD & get it engineered certified & rego'd. (thats why we dont see many late model Dodges in Aus, for example 2017 Challenger Hellcat $85kAUD ($64kUSD?) to get it here & another $25k for RHD & compliance. Great machine thou'. Whereas a 2017 Musty GT or 300C SRT is $65kAUD ($49USD) on the road.

-
Back