Gears

-
IMO, the 3.55 is the most worthless gear ever. Not enough to be considered a true "HP" hot street and or race gear and too much for a real street car that may see some highway driving. With the 3.23 and that much power, you will obliterate tires on command and still retain some semblance of "street" in street car. Just one peon's opinion.

will 355s get off the line goid? Stop light to stop light?
With the right converter, you bet!
IF it hooks, 3.55s with a 4000 converter will leave a bunch harder than a 4.10s with a 2500.
A great converter, tho expensive, can be the best investment to make for a hot street car. (NO boss hogg garbage!)

How much torque this thing putting out?
if it makes 537 hp @ 6000 rpm which would be 470 tq at peak hp and averagely torque @ peak hp is about 90% or peak torque, making it around 522 tq probably 1000-1500 rpms lower.

I have a 72 dodge demon that I’m running a 440 big block. Motor was dynode at about 537 horse at 6000 RPMs. I am trying to figure out what gears I should use in my 8 3/4 rear end. This is strictly just going to be a street car. Not sure if I’m going to ever drive it long distances on the highway but maybe occasionally I will. I’m looking some advice on what would be a good rear end gear I want some thing that is quick from white to light so that I don’t get eaten up by all these imports, but I also want something that I can possibly drive to car cruise ins that are out a little bit of a distance.
Problem is there's no right answer, for 1/4 or 1/8 mile you'd gear it so hit around peak power at the finish line probably 3.91-4.56, on the street it's vague goal, traction and drivability become a factor, it's really a personal choice. Your engines top end powerband 90% of it's power is probably 5500-6500 rpm you want your gearing to get there at reasonable street speeds or you'll rarely get into your power band. Your probably gonna want to do full throttle runs up 80-100 mph max around the streets so I gear it to hit 100 mph at 6000 rpm in second if you want to run a deeper gear, gear third for 1/4 or 1/8 mile even if you never go.

3.55 @ 6000 rpm peak hp
1st 57 mph
2nd 97 mph
3rd 141 mph

3.55 @ 4500 rpm peak ish tq
1st 43 mph
2nd 73 mph
3rd 106 mph

Last edited:
Converter should be your first choice. 4000 stall and run any gear that works. You'll find a high ratio gear will give you more MPH then the car can handle. Here is 323's shifting to drive @ 110 MPH. with a big small block.

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 010.jpg

This is strictly just going to be a street car. Not sure if I’m going to ever drive it long distances on the highway but maybe occasionally I will
but I also want something that I can possibly drive to car cruise ins that are out a little bit of a distance.
this says you still aren't sure what exactly what you want to do with it. to me that stop light to stop light stuff gets boring fast. i like to drive my ****. go with a 3.23 and a good converter built to the engine. think you'll be happier in the end that way. either way those little imports will still probably get around you. :)

Converter should be your first choice. 4000 stall and run any gear that works. You'll find a high ratio gear will give you more MPH then the car can handle. Here is 323's shifting to drive @ 110 MPH. with a big small block.

should really know the gear you are using before picking a converter.

I used a 5500 stall and 456's on a 28 inch tire. I would just get into drive right before the traps at 130 mph. How fast do you want to go.

I'm in the same boat as srduster340.

I switched to 3:55's

I personally found a big improvement over 3:91's as far as streetability is concerned. Also better on Highway.

-
Back