General Motors CEO said WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-

67gtx

Reaction score
I can't believe he said that.

"In a two hour interview last week, General Motors CEO Dan Akerson told the Detroit News that he wanted to see the tax on gas raised by a dollar per gallon in order to pressure consumers to purchase more fuel efficient vehicles."

I can't believe he said that.

"In a two hour interview last week, General Motors CEO Dan Akerson told the Detroit News that he wanted to see the tax on gas raised by a dollar per gallon in order to pressure consumers to purchase more fuel efficient vehicles."
what an idiot!i would like to see lynching come back!for him

Wasn't he (GM's CEO) appointed to that position when Obama fired everybody? Obama is pushing for econo-boxes, electric cars, and whatever else. Isn't it possible that this is merely 'part of the plan"?

That stupid f#@k should have his balls cut off...piss on obama motors

He said that in response to the proposed MPG hike (up to something like a mandated 60 MPG in 2020 something) saying that it would be cheaper to raise the fuel tax than what the additional MPG regulations would do to the price of cars.

In a way, he is right. If you've got the money, (like the CEO of any auto maker has ), you'll be able to afford the tax hikes. However, anyone who can't afford to get a new car better buy lots of vasoline because the gas pumps are gonna get pretty physical...

First of all, F GM. And F that deusch that they put in command. I like driving my 45 year old vehicles that get 20 mpg if I'm lucky, and want to be able to afford to enjoy it. Anyone that says that I shouldnt be able to do that can SUCK MY BALLS. That is all.

The man is just another talking head. I think anyone in his position would say what they should too. Doesn't mean the statement comes from the heart.

A "little" bit of research and it turns out that that is not quite what was said. Here is the actual quote, and a link to the AP source:

Akerson also said that if the government wants to move people toward more fuel-efficient vehicles, it should consider raising the gasoline tax to keep gas prices high rather than requiring automakers to increase mileage.

"It helps with our deficits, at the same time may change consumer behaviour, and the automotive companies will try to meet that demand," he said.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/gm-ceo-akerson-says-hes-concerned-economy-deficit-194618546.html

C

Raising gas taxes does 2 things...

1. Puts more money into the governments coffers.

2. Raises the prices of just about everything you buy.

And that fool doesn't buy gas for his car. It is a company car and guess who pays for that?

What a tool...people with those kind of salaries are living in another world.

They're trying to push the Volt. So far, they're losing their asses on it because they spent so much on the project. The government is probably influencing him, too. Starting in January, Chevy Volts and Nissan Leafs will be the only hybrid/electric cars that get HOV lane access. Prius and Insight lose the privilege, even though first gen Insights get around 60 MPG. Tell me THAT's not gov't driven!

The only way to get electric cars faster and stronger is to require them in NASCAR That's where the latest technologies come from, the private sector and NASCAR (seat belts, disc brakes....etc.)

Here's the post I made to another thread about the same subject yesterday:

Here in California drivers currently pay a total of 68.9 cents per gallon in combined local, state, and federal taxes for gasoline, third highest in the nation behind Illinois (69.0 cents/gallon) and New York (69.1 cents/gallon).
Just the current tax total on a gallon of gas is more than double what I used to pay for a gallon of premium gas when I first bought my old '69 Swinger 340 back in late 1969!
Lowest is Alaska at 26.4 cents/gallon.
Check your state at http://www.api.org/statistics/fuelta...AP_MAY2011.pdf

The "NO BOMA", admin could lower gas prices just by merely saying "The US has decided to start new domestic drilling for oil". We wouldn't even have to do it. If mid east thought we were going to drill, they would lower prices to keep us from doing it. Simple as that!!!!

soon enough they will pass a law that we can drive are rides ! no one can see that coming ? the land of the free ? seems like not now a days ........we will soon have to have pos high....birds to even drive

The "NO BOMA", admin could lower gas prices just by merely saying "The US has decided to start new domestic drilling for oil". We wouldn't even have to do it. If mid east thought we were going to drill, they would lower prices to keep us from doing it. Simple as that!!!!

There is domestic drilling. The thing is, the price on the domestic oil doesn't go up (unless I'm getting ripped off). The price increase is because of the imported oil (supposedly). They try to say it's because of the crap going on in the world....that's not effecting it, it just sounds like a feasible excuse.

California drivers currently pay a total of 68.9 cents per gallon in combined local, state, and federal taxes for gasoline, third highest in the nation behind Illinois (69.0 cents/gallon) and New York (69.1 cents/gallon). Just the current tax total on a gallon of gas is more than double what I used to pay for a gallon of premium gas when I first bought my old '69 Swinger 340 back in late 1969!

Unless your job pays you a 1969 salary in 1969 dollars, that's stinkin' thinkin' on your part, OCDart. Let's do some simple math:

Half of 69¢ is 34.5¢. You said 69¢ is more than double what you paid, though, so let's knock that down to 30¢ for a gallon of premium…in 1969 money. Quick trip o'er to the inflation calculator shows us that 69 2010-cents equate to 12¢ in 1969 money. That means, in real terms (the only kind that matter), that today's 69¢ gasoline tax is approximately 40% of what you paid for a gallon of gas in 1969. Not double it, and not more than double it.

If it weren't so sad, the lack of horse sense displayed in this thread would be a laugh riot. Here we have people babbling about the big bad government…in response to an industrialist's suggestion that the market, rather than the government, ought to be the driving factor in buyers' choice of vehicles. Sure, it's fun to fantasize about dreamy-dream land where 100-octane gasoline costs a nickel a gallon and everyday grocery-getters have 440 engines and get 10 mpg because it doesn't matter. Here in the real world, though, the government of every civilized country is involved in regulating vehicle fuel economy. Even if you're a knuckledragging idjit who thinks there's no such thing as pollution and emission controls are Satan's handiwork, you can't deny the national security and trade deficit issues closely tied to how much oil we burn up, so clearly society -- through democratically-elected government -- has an interest in the matter.

There are two options: (A) The government legislates itself into engineers and makes decisions for the automakers about what kind of cars to make. (B) The government adjusts the price of fuel to come closer to covering its real, total costs to society, thus spurring market demand for better fuel efficiency, thus driving automakers to provide it.

Option "B" is a whole hell of a lot closer to the market-based policies most of those bîtching and moaning in this thread would claim to espouse.

Option "A" is what we have had for decades; it's called CAFE and it's a rotten system. It does a poor job of improving fuel economy, and it greatly restricts the range of options for automakers and for car buyers. Other markets elsewhere in the world, where they use Option "B", have much wider range of vehicle choice and much better on-road-fleet fuel economy.

Those of you blowing your head gaskets and blubbering about Obama and GM and the Chevy Volt and all that…STFU for a minute or two and use the brains god gave you. Please and thank you.

-
Back