General Slant 6 Input Required

-

aimplus

Reaction score
I am a newbie with the slant and have been looking at the posts. Enlightening.

If I want to upgrade my exhaust, do I truly need EGR? Cold weather operation is not my issue (Phoenix).

Headers vs. Dutras?

Appreciate the input.

cool a slant guy in Phx! where are you located? im up in on carefree hwy

anyways to answer your question.

what are you plannning to do with the car?

I'm down at 39th Ave and Thunderbird.

It's a 75 Duster. Will be my daily driver when I am in town. So I am looking for gas mileage and a bit of zip. If I can squeeze out 125 - 150 HP I'm OK with that. I am just brainstorming but what I would like to do is:

Upgrade to a 2BBL, so I am looking at getting a Super Six Intake. Probably stick with a Carter. Aluminum/Cast I haven't decided.

Given the opportunity I'll pull the head and have a proper valve grind done.

Mild cam. Maybe in the .425 - .430 range.

Exhaust undecided. I want to dump as much useless crap off the engine as I possibly can. Heard/read many opinions of exhaust pros/cons. Dutras seem OK, but pricey and heavy. Headers, not cheap, better weight but durability issues. I think EGR is a waste of time.

Dutras are nice, but expensive. Headers can be had from hooker for like 600 or from Clifford for 399. IMO, headers totally outflow any manifolds, so any type of manifold is a waste IMO. Again, that's just my personal preference.

For PowerWagonPaul

Appreciate the thread. I understand the vaporization benefit, but is it really that much more noticeable running, once the manifold temp conductively stabilizes with the block. To the point that you would need supplemental heating.

I'm not questioning your knowledge, just want to get a handle on the slant science.

For PowerWagonPaul

Appreciate the thread. I understand the vaporization benefit, but is it really that much more noticeable running, once the manifold temp conductively stabilizes with the block. To the point that you would need supplemental heating.

I'm not questioning your knowledge, just want to get a handle on the slant science.

this is exactly right... especially here in Phx... i would have the head work done and enjoy the bump from that. then save for intake and headers with some cam thrown in

aimplus,,Slants do love heat,If ambient temps are below say,,50 degrees without a heated intake manifold fuel will puddle in the intake until engine temps are in the normal operating range.So on the street it may run ruff and miss for awhile.When I did my Dart with Clifford intake,headers,2 1/2 inch exhaust and a 500 edelbrock with a electric choke I had to be patient for several minutes driving time.

keep in mind that anytime a liquid (gas) evaporates (atomizes), it cools. think swamp cooler. if you don't maintain some heat it becomes harder for the fuel to atomize. even in the desert. notice that I live in Las Vegas, also the desert. by using manifold heat it gives you a more constant manifold temp. to tune to. watch the video posted by slantsixdan in the one thread. in my opinion ANY street driven carbureted car should have manifold heat, it wont really heat the intake charge enough to matter, but it WILL help fuel atomization. you will notice better throttle response, better performance, and increased economy.

To all that replied:

Thanks so much for your input. You've given me more to consider. I appreciate the help.

Manifold heat.:thumblef:

Attachments

• IMAG0405.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 159
EGR is transparent to almost all users. Its OFF at idle, OFF at WOT and only on at cruise when you dont even know its doing anything. It keeps your chamber temp cool enough to retard NOX formation, thats it. Supposed to add torque/raise compression too as the inert recirculated gas in the chamber is only a filler, ie its not used for combustion. Ditch everything else! On a slant its not that hideous. Keep manifold heat! shave the head.090 enlarge the head pipe to 2.5, headers are well, headers. Manifold works up to your cam.

-
Back