Generally speaking, are A-Bodies "dorky?"

-
heres me looking for an A body

nerd-13819.jpg

I know what you mean by dorky. Back then Dart was the econamy grocery getter more then 2/3 were /6 and Mom could upgrade to GT or GTS. Other then us Abody fans ,you don't see alot of people clammering over them. Dusters ,Deamons faired alittle better .BUT that being said. i had my car at its first major show this last Aug and it makes you really feal good when you see people pointing at you car from 300 feet away and then start walking over to look at it.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 482
James Dean was kind of sensible,if you know what I mean......
Thats why he drove Porsches

The 1967,68 & 69 Barracuda was the closest thing to the Camero & Mustang at the time.
The styling was right there with the 1967 Camero.
That was until the 1970 Challenger & Barracuda came out, of course that only lasted until 1974.
It would have been nice if the Barracuda had been left an A-body (small block only) & the Challenger (opt. big block) would have been a Dodge only product.
They could have been automobiles for two different types of customers.
Although, it might have been embarrasing for the 1970 A-body Barracuda to run circles around the 1970 Challenger in Trans-Am.
So yes, when you look at the Valiants, Darts, & Dusters, on average they look like a grand ma car, but I would take one any day.

I had kid working at the gas station ask me if my car was a "Trans Am" :banghead:.......I think Firebirds are Dorky so maybe my car is too..........

Some might think my car is, but I don't care what anyone thinks, I love it.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We love it to!

I think that these cars get respect for being capable platforms for drag racing...but in terms of the classic car world, are they considered to be totally uncool?

Honestly, it's hard to imagine James Dean rolling up in a Dart Sport or Steve McQueen chasing down bad guys behind the wheel of a hot-rodded Valiant.

While I (and most of us) love all of the A body models, the only exceptions that I suspect the general car culture considers to be "cool" would be the following:

1967-69 Barracuda
1968-69 Dart 340
1971 Duster 340

But are the rest of us driving around in the automotive version of a pocket protector? :p

Honestly, it doesn't matter what other people think...but it's worthy of looking into and understanding, IMO. :)

Thoughts?
Uh, what kind of question is this? You must be bored!

I think that these cars get respect for being capable platforms for drag racing...but in terms of the classic car world, are they considered to be totally uncool?

In 1978-80 at my high school, a Dodge Dart wasn't considered cool to most. The "Swinger" badge made it all the worse.

These days things have changed. I get a lot of positive comments about my car from young racers, many who don't even know what kind of a car it is!

Al Bundy's beat A-body didn't help matters ;)

dodge.jpg

Well, I am 43 years old and I have always had least 2 to 4 Mopars in my garage since I was 16. Most of them have been E-bodies, but they stem from B-body
to A-body to F-body to even couple turbo Dodge's of the 80s and even a 70's street

Van, but for some damn reason I always find myself gravitating back to A-bodies. I have had six of them. A '66 Barracuda,2-'69 Valiant's, 2-'71 Duster's & a '72 Duster.
Gosh I must be extra Dorky Like Arnie from "Christine" Maybe worse.

I think, LOL, it's time to put this into perspective:

THIS is a dorky car:

geek-car-1.jpg

NOT Dorky

1974_Plymouth_Duster_360_c569edac5eb5cc7cbce8.jpg

VERY Dorky:

T3_CT3.jpg

Uh.....NOT Dorky

phrp_0708_03_z+1973_plymouth_duster+sunset.jpg

Dorky 'n then some:

stupid-ricer.jpg

Not even close to Dorky

43651_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

Well beyond Dorky

stupid.car.jpg

So not Dorky, even McQueen would have driven one

116_0704_06_z+vintage_trans_am_racing+1969_dodge_dart.jpg

First of all 663409 that is one COOL car!!!!!
Secondly its not dorky when its runnin over your ***!
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo653.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 424
Guess me and my buddies cars are dorks ! ..... I DON'T THINK SO !!!!

Attachments

• IMG-20120609-00131.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 367
Another shot of my dork !

Attachments

• 20121031_084127.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 397
Its like women, if we all liked the same one we would have to share. I dont share well and besides i like to be different the last thing i want is a red 1969 camaro like the other 90 percent i see at all car shows. I only see one 66 dart and thats mine. Thats priceless to me.

Attachments

• dart lambert garage 043 (Small).jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 379

Honestly, it's hard to imagine James Dean rolling up in a Dart Sport or Steve McQueen chasing down bad guys behind the wheel of a hot-rodded Valiant.

While I (and most of us) love all of the A body models, the only exceptions that I suspect the general car culture considers to be "cool" would be the following:

1967-69 Barracuda
1968-69 Dart 340
1971 Duster 340

But are the rest of us driving around in the automotive version of a pocket protector? :p

Honestly, it doesn't matter what other people think...but it's worthy of looking into and understanding, IMO. :)

Thoughts?
You trying to pick a fight? lol

-
Back