Generic sound deadener

-
I used it and I am happy with it. It seems like it cut down on heat and noise quite a bit. I bought the 100' roll and barely had enough, but I did the roof too. It is very sticky stuff.

Attachments

• fatmat.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 353
  • fatmat1.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 340
In the ebay ad it says "black compound" base.......I could be wrong, but I believe this is their nice way of saying 'asphalt' base. The butyl-based products (Dynamat, Secondskin, RaamMmat) have a greater resistance to heat than the asphalt-based products. Just something to keep in mind.

The advantage of the asphalt products, however, is that they are generally less expensive.

I wouldn't normally use an asphalt-based product myself, but if I had to then I would probably consider it for the floorplan - but not the doors.

In the ebay ad it says "black compound" base.......I could be wrong, but I believe this is their nice way of saying 'asphalt' base. The butyl-based products (Dynamat, Secondskin, RaamMmat) have a greater resistance to heat than the asphalt-based products. Just something to keep in mind.

The advantage of the asphalt products, however, is that they are generally less expensive.

I wouldn't normally use an asphalt-based product myself, but if I had to then I would probably consider it for the floorplan - but not the doors.

I'm concerned about that as well, I'm curious if if the non Butyl compound gasses at all. I'd be concerned that the inside of my car would smell like roofing tar, so I thought I'd ask to see if any fellow members had any experiences to share.

What about catching moisture?

Badart, looks like you have the Transformers logo all over the place lol

I'm concerned about that as well, I'm curious if if the non Butyl compound gasses at all. I'd be concerned that the inside of my car would smell like roofing tar, so I thought I'd ask to see if any fellow members had any experiences to share.

Had the fatmat in for two desert summers and no roofing tar smell. The fatmat site claims a "rubber compound". As far as moisture goes, I figure that if you car is sealed and as sticky as this stuff is (once it sticks to itself then it's stuck forever) then you should have no issues. Do what you want, I am just letting you know that I am very happy with it. I just don't see the point in paying three times as much for dyno mat or hush mat.

Something to consider: some of the new thinking in car audio/sound deadening is that you don't need to cover every square inch with the 'mat' material (aka dynamat, fatmat, etc). It's best quality is dampening sheet metal vibrations. These are most common in the middle of large panels of metal where it doesn't have as much support. The panels are sturdier at the edge and don't flex nearly as much, negating much of the value of the 'mat' in these areas. Closed-cell foam and mass-loaded vinyl are better at filtering out the remaining noises once you've stopped the metal from vibrating.

I'm not trying to say anyone who's done the full-coverage thing is wrong. In the past, I have done the 'full coverage' route with the mat. On my next install, however, I am going to try using limited butyl-based mat in the middle of any large panels (saving some $) and really pile on the closed-cell foam and mass-loaded vinyl product everywhere instead.

There's some decent reading on the subject at sounddeadenershowdown.com (I don't have any affiliation with this guy). Plenty more to be had at the diyma.com forums - probably enough to turn you blue in the face :-D

I used jute matting in the Dart as a sound deadener. I got it at a local fabric store. It has no moisture barrier. I only used it in the floor boards. I got a satisfactory reduction in road noise from it.

I used Dynomate on my 68 Newport. It works very well but it is heavy and adds weight. No that 500 lbs extra on a 68 Newport 4 dr matters. I'm looking for something lighter to use in my 69 Valian pro street....any suggestions?

-
Back